Author Topic: ECTA April meet super cars run way over 200 MPH  (Read 16296 times)

Offline wfojohn

Re: ECTA April meet super cars run way over 200 MPH
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2019, 09:35:16 AM »
I was there, got three runs in before  a mechanical failure. The turn out was really light, maybe 40-45 competitors. I am not sure why more folks don't go because it is a good racetrack. The weather was great on Friday then it got WINDY for Saturday. The Black Lambo hit 233 in the half mile! The safety aspect of that is hard to grasp, I will stick with a full cage and all the safety gear. I do hope to make the World of Speed this year.

Tommysgarage, I live within 2 1/2 hours from the track, have been associated with lsr since the 70's and no way in hell am I paying the price of their sign up fee for running my equipment (bikes) when in the end there is no verification of being class legal of engine or chassis, no record potential etc. This opinion is shared by many obviously if only 40/45 entrants showed up. The previous owners of ECTA provided a somewhat more appealing format, not equal to SCTA/BNI standards, but not bad for a 2 day event. This owner charges 3-4 times the amount and has minimal work at the end of the meet, no records to keep etc.. I'm definitely not against free enterprise, been in business all my life but if the value is not there, your product or service will not sell. Previously we had to scramble to get a sign up spot, it was so popular that they had to restrict it to 150 entries, that in and of  itself should tell the complete story.

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2019, 10:30:17 PM »
Good comments in here. If the ECTA was smart they’d listen.

If the concern really isn’t stopping on track then it should be simple. Allow cars to run with no front brakes if they are only allowed under power while on course.

Don’t forget the guy who died at the mile event in Louisiana in the GTR.
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline thommysgarage

« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2019, 01:49:46 PM »
I do understand why some folks are not happy with ECTA right now, it is not quite the same as it was when we ran at Ohio. I do have a car built to SCTA specs (G/BGALT) and ECTA does have records for these classes. No, these records don't have the prestige of a Bonneville record. It does give a measuring stick to gauge your performance against other competitors. I have spent a considerable amount of time and money on my equipment and even though the cost to race is higher than it used to be, it is still just a drop in the bucket compared to my investment. I have always enjoyed going to the ECTA meets and meeting the other racers, including the guys with street cars. It is also much closer to home than the salt flats, much easier for a tired old guy. I am willing to support them with my participation and encourage others to do the same. If ECTA should go away the alternatives are scarce and inconvenient.

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2019, 03:19:53 PM »
  Racers I have talked with who attended this event said when the question  was asked should a parachute be used the answer given was do what you want. Kind of an odd answer considering the safety concerns. Its also interesting that certain high profile Fast race cars did not pay any entrance fee. Also shutting down the runway for a Lear jet to take off for a parts run was also interesting. Not the same ECTA for sure oh well.
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline bubruins

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2019, 04:07:25 PM »
First things first, Steve & Co did an excellent job of running the event. It's a shame there were not more competitors and that more of the competitors present did not take full advantage of the direct 15-20mph tailwind at 6am Sunday morning.

I think the easiest solution to not running a 240mph 1/2mi car off the track is to use the whole runway to slow down. I didn't see the accident, but I did see the exotics do no chute early turnout braking several times. Start enforcing >175mph = parachute even for half mile and encourage drivers to use later turnouts and I think this problem goes away at Blytheville. There is always the possibility of a blown tire, axle, brake line, or other mechanical failure that results in leaving the racing surface, but Blythevillle is incredibly wide and long compared to other venues. I think there is a relatively high safety factor here compared to a half mile long road course straight and bumpy shutdown like NOLA. In the current Street Category rules posted, there is no requirement for parachutes and it does not direct the reader to the full set of rules which clearly still state: "An approved parachute is required on all cars over 175 MPH." and " Parachute deployment is mandatory over 175 mph.". It's good to know that the modern street cars were abiding by the rules set forth for cage and seat, but I think it's strange to include Real Street and Super Street on that page of the rules and are required to do safety per the full rules, but allow Modified Street to only use the rules on the Street Category page.

FWIW, I think that rear only brake LSR vehicles using Bonneville push truck rules is a great solution. Lots of shutdown room at Blytheville and I don't think anyone has came anywhere near the end of the course yet.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2019, 08:45:52 PM »
     I just noticed the ECTA April '19 run logs have been posted on their site:  https://www.ectamile.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/April-Run-Log-Unofficial.pdf

Ed

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2019, 11:44:25 PM »
I quickly scanned the run logs and didn't see a single lakester. Have class designations changed drastically?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2019, 03:45:35 PM »
I quickly scanned the run logs and didn't see a single lakester. Have class designations changed drastically?

Class designations are not the reason none of that should have changed in the rules for the class. However I bet it has something to do with the front brake rule. Most guys I talk to feel its not worth the effort to add front brakes plus everyone I know has a chute.  Since the guys i know have run their special construction cars at both of the previous ECTA tracks with no issues at all the idea of changing is not a thing their willing to do.
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717

Offline Kool Performance

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2019, 09:17:04 PM »
Need to make something very clear. We have ran everything from farm tractors and steam powered motorcycles to Lambos. All are treated equal and no one gets in free.

As to the jet, it had landed at the airport on the other side of own. When the wind came up on Saturday afternoon. He received clearance from the airport to bring it over since we were shut down.  We did stop breifly on Sunday for the jet to fly back to Dallas and get a driveshaft for the green Lambo. Just to clarify what seems to be a miss understanding, The pilot was not the owner or driver of either lambo. He was driving his GTR. But he offered to help out and fly back and pick up the drive shaft. He gave up a 1/2 day of racing to help another racer.  We did stop for a couple of local pilots to land and or take off. Both hold times were less than 10 minutes and there were less than 10 vehicles in line. We send vehicles off approx 50 seconds apart.

I have no problem with people voicing there opinions. But I will correct false information.
I have no ideal where the rumor that anyone got in free came from but it is absolutely false. 

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2019, 04:06:51 PM »
  News reports show a Lambo crash thats taken the life of the driver high speed run on a street resulted in a crash.  Same driver from this event. Speeds are serious the results can be disastrous especially without the required devices for Land Speed Race cars.  The factory spending millions on development that includes driver safety is pure fantasy. May he rest in piece he was doing what we all enjoy the lust for all out speed.    :-(
 Ronnieroadster