Author Topic: ECTA April meet super cars run way over 200 MPH  (Read 16314 times)

Offline ronnieroadster

ECTA April meet super cars run way over 200 MPH
« on: April 29, 2019, 08:00:39 PM »
 Wow has anyone seen the top speeds for this past weekends ECTA event in Arkansas. Looks like two supercars running way over 200 MPH with no safety gear at all other than a drivers helmet and seat belts pretty safe stuff! One of these safe vehicles apparently spun trying to stop on one of those well over 200 MPH runs good thing the car had front brakes.   :-o
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline tortoise

Re: ECTA April meet super cars run way over 200 MPH
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 09:33:16 PM »
It's  not clear to me that an SCTA-compliant race car is safer than a modern production car. Production cars have crumple zones and airbags. In a crash, they may transfer less energy to the driver than race cars. Am I way off base?

Offline Frank06

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 09:38:14 PM »
Would you want to be in one in a roll - over situation?

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

E-Racer

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 10:03:42 PM »
It's  not clear to me that an SCTA-compliant race car is safer than a modern production car. Production cars have crumple zones and airbags. In a crash, they may transfer less energy to the driver than race cars. Am I way off base?

A crash at 240 MPH in a modern production car would be survivable because of crumple zones and air bags really? I think theres limits to what protection new vehicles have built into them one of those limits i bet is the speed of the wreck.
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717

Offline tortoise

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 10:17:56 PM »
   A crash at 240 MPH in a modern production car would be survivable because of crumple zones and air bags really?
Did I say that?

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 01:12:45 AM »
... has anyone seen the top speeds for this past weekends ECTA event in Arkansas...
No. I'd like to see some reporting.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 01:45:26 AM »
Read your own words!!
  Sid.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2019, 10:10:26 AM »
So they'll let you fly down the track in a Hellcat with just a brain bucket?

Odd that they'll let a showroom stock car run as fast as it will go, yet they want to hang brakes on all four wheels of a fully caged cars built specifically for LSR, even if it will never achieve a similar speed.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 10:58:24 AM by Milwaukee Midget »
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline dw230

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2019, 11:29:47 AM »
Don't care what speeds the mile cars run. Bring 'em to Bonneville.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline tortoise

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2019, 12:22:35 PM »
It's  not clear to me that an SCTA-compliant race car is safer than a modern production car. Production cars have crumple zones and airbags. In a crash, they may transfer less energy to the driver than race cars. Am I way off base?
Read your own words!!
  Sid.
As to front brakes, seems like a good idea to me. I believe ECTA also mandates a 48" minimum track width. It's a different environment than the salt. The supercar rules are not new.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 12:26:57 PM by tortoise »

Offline sabat

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2019, 12:23:17 PM »
I'm surprised - the old ECTA was careful about safety. This is like Texas Mile, anything goes.

Offline thommysgarage

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2019, 12:25:23 PM »
I was there, got three runs in before  a mechanical failure. The turn out was really light, maybe 40-45 competitors. I am not sure why more folks don't go because it is a good racetrack. The weather was great on Friday then it got WINDY for Saturday. The Black Lambo hit 233 in the half mile! The safety aspect of that is hard to grasp, I will stick with a full cage and all the safety gear. I do hope to make the World of Speed this year.

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2019, 03:17:30 PM »
It's  not clear to me that an SCTA-compliant race car is safer than a modern production car. Production cars have crumple zones and airbags. In a crash, they may transfer less energy to the driver than race cars. Am I way off base?
Read your own words!!
  Sid.
As to front brakes, seems like a good idea to me. I believe ECTA also mandates a 48" minimum track width. It's a different environment than the salt. The supercar rules are not new.

Supercar rules thats to funny.    ECTA rule 2H tread all vintage category vehicles minimum tread are 44 inch front and 50 inch rear. Special construction vehicles are not subject to this rule.  Front brakes would seem like a good idea unless your talking about a special construction vehicle or LSR roadster. One asks why more cars dont support the ECTA any longer it might be part of the problem is the elimination of most true purpose built LSR cars with how the rules are written. One would think the rules not allowing true LSR cars to run are a good thing using the word SAFETY then we see what just took place. Supercars super fast with little if any safety devices in place or required.  So that seems like a good idea?

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2019, 01:23:30 AM »
I'll still be looking forward to some reporting on special construction results.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2019, 06:55:43 AM »
     Jack,

A big +1 twice here as well!

Not as close as Loring but still a lot closer than Bonneville, gotta keep looking ahead..........

Ed