Author Topic: ECTA April meet super cars run way over 200 MPH  (Read 16339 times)

Offline sabat

Re: ECTA April meet super cars run way over 200 MPH
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2019, 11:39:22 AM »
Is the chute the only this the ECTA no longer requires for street legal cars? Did the Lambo have a full roll cage?

https://www.ectamile.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Street-Category-2019.pdf

Offline thommysgarage

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2019, 01:33:11 PM »
I did not get close enough to see if the Lambo had a cage. I would think it should have with the speed it produced. I can't imagine any production car would be safe at 233 in a crash.

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2019, 03:13:30 PM »
I'll still be looking forward to some reporting on special construction results.

Look at the ECTA web site all class runs and speeds are posted.  Sorry i was wrong the results are shown for last April  :roll:
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 10:15:13 PM by ronnieroadster »
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2019, 07:52:58 PM »
I think you guys are being rather harsh. ECTA obviously cares about safety, otherwise they wouldn't require superstreet cars to have a horn and turn signals.

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2019, 08:28:42 PM »
I think you guys are being rather harsh. ECTA obviously cares about safety, otherwise they wouldn't require superstreet cars to have a horn and turn signals.

LMAO     :cheers:
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2019, 09:02:30 PM »
They're so far ahead of the SCTA.  In some SCTA classes we're required to have a horn.  I've never seen an inspector make us demonstrate its effectiveness.

(Is there a decibel rating that has to be obtained?)
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2019, 09:24:33 PM »
I'll still be looking forward to some reporting on special construction results.

Look at the ECTA web site all class runs and speeds are posted.

I've been checking the ECTA website via the link on the homepage here on a regular basis since Sat eve and haven't seen 'em yet.

Ed

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2019, 09:37:31 PM »
I don't see them either.  Not even under the heading "Results & records from 2009-201 races from the Maxton, Ohio races."   :dhorse:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2019, 10:18:40 PM »

Look at the ECTA web site all class runs and speeds are posted.

I've been checking the ECTA website via the link on the homepage here on a regular basis since Sat eve and haven't seen 'em yet.

Ed

I was wrong in my above post the results are from last April.  Maybe there sorting out the records for the cars with wipers and horns before posting this years results.  :cheers:

Offline Kool Performance

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2019, 10:48:36 PM »
I have been trying to get my head around why everyone is so upset. The cars are built with a factory engineered carbon fiber cockpit / drivers capsule. That includes roll over protection. The factory has spent millions crash testing these cars and learning from these tests. The cars have additional roll cage installed as well. And both cars were prepped and fielded buy one of the best shops in the world. And lets not forget these are basically street versions of their race cars. That routinely crash at high speeds and the drivers walk away. Don't let the pretty looks fool you, these cars are tough. After spinning off the pavement at 200mph into a freshly planted field, where it spun around and stopped in a muddy low spot. I pulled it out of the mud and they drove it to a car wash. The only damage was to plastic panels under the car. And they were not broken just skinned up.

There also seems to been some confusion about why I require 4 wheel brakes. Have you ever had a brake failure in the pits, on the return road, around people, or with less than 3/4's of a mile to stop. I HAVE HAD ALL 4 HAPPEN. I am not concerned about you on the race course, it is when you exit the course is my concern. And by the way one of my brake failures resulted in piece of brake rotor cutting a big hole in the chute. So don't try to tell me the things I worry about will not happen. As some of you know CJ and I race many different kinds of events all year. I see multiple crashes every year and make it a point to learn from each one. I have attended live crash seminars to see the high speed camera footage and learn from the experts.

I find it very funny that several people can rant on the internet. But I have not received a single Email, text or phone call to discuss anything.

As was said it was a very small field even with the Motorcycles and modern cars. You could count the true LSR cars on both hands. People need to put their energy into growing the sport not negative public rants. People want to say they are concerned about preserving LSR, as the owner of ECTA, I can tell you without growth eventually there won't be anything to preserve. One of our younger competitors told me he saw so many white beards at his 1st lsr event. He thought it was a Santa Claus reunion. Just repeating what I was told.

I have stated my position. I will not engage in a public rant. I have races to get ready for. But you are free to email, text or call me

Steve Strupp
President of the ECTA
speeding4u@gmail.com
812 305 0710
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 11:28:21 PM by Kool Performance »

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2019, 11:02:38 PM »
Ronnie,

Thanks  :cheers:

Great to learn the old timer's hasn't gotten to me quite yet, I was beginning to wonder........ :wink:

Ed

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2019, 11:04:24 AM »
I find it very funny that several people can rant on the internet. But I have not received a single Email, text or phone call to discuss anything. 

Always remember what you said here, because people do rant on the internet simply because it is easy. I think your response was thoughtful and I respect it. I've noticed that some of those Santa impostors even wear red hats.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2019, 11:57:05 AM »
Well boys, this all started with supercars running without any safety gear... now we know that is not the case.   :-o

I suggest if you want to run LSR cars on a mile track without front brakes, start an organization with that rule....
I know my chute will not stop our lakester in 1/2 mile... I won't be running on a mile track unless I figure out how to add braking beyond the single disk we use on the axle. 

Issues can occur with any race car....

As is stated here all the time... build a car to the rules of the organization you will run with, don't expect them to make a class you can run in.  The same applies to safety rules
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2019, 02:23:56 PM »

There also seems to been some confusion about why I require 4 wheel brakes. Have you ever had a brake failure in the pits, on the return road, around people, or with less than 3/4's of a mile to stop. I HAVE HAD ALL 4 HAPPEN. I am not concerned about you on the race course, it is when you exit the course is my concern. And by the way one of my brake failures resulted in piece of brake rotor cutting a big hole in the chute. So don't try to tell me the things I worry about will not happen. As some of you know CJ and I race many different kinds of events all year. I see multiple crashes every year and make it a point to learn from each one. I have attended live crash seminars to see the high speed camera footage and learn from the experts.

Hi, Steve -

That was me on the brakes issue.

Steve, don't get me wrong - I understand where you're coming from, and I acknowledge it is your responsibility to put together the safest possible event. 

But it remains my belief that a closer alignment of SCTA-BNI rules and ECTA rules opens opportunities for those who would like to race under both sanctioning bodies.  I raced at Maxton because at the time, if you were good to go at Bonneville, you were pretty much good to go at Maxton.

I would love to help build the sport into a multi-venue affair including more LSR vehicles.

When the move to Blytheville occurred, I saw an opportunity to have a venue within a day's drive evaporate due to different rules - in my case, it was brakes.

So yeah, I'm being a bit snarky about that.  And I recognize how foolish I must sound - advocating for race cars with only rear brakes!

But let me pose this - I agree with your concern about the cars in the pits and near spectators.  At Bonneville, that's handled via push vehicles or tow vehicles.  Is that a potential - if partial - solution?

I'd love to race Blytheville - I simply can't justify reworking my whole front end to do it, and I know there are others who have had to take a long hard look at their vehicles in order to justify competing at these two disparate venues with different rules.

Chris Conrad
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2019, 04:46:11 PM »
  Chris i have similar feelings in regards to the brake issue having rear brakes only on my race car which I safely ran at Maxton and Wilmington with no issues. We never drive the car from the pits to the line its always towed.  The rear brakes are suitable for the slow flat towing in the pits and to staging and also work fine after the run once the two chutes slow the car to a point where the rear drum brakes are used for the little braking needed.  Redesigning the car is not going to happen.
  Its to bad in the past I supported the ECTA not only by bringing a car to run but I also helped with inspecting cars something I enjoyed.  Were racers and want to race but were also intelligent enough to know whats safe and the limitations involved thats all im going to write about this subject for now. See you all on the salt or at Loring in July.
     Ronnieroadster  :cheers:
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 04:48:25 PM by ronnieroadster »