Author Topic: Aluminum Traction Wheels  (Read 2588 times)

Offline Simspeed

Aluminum Traction Wheels
« on: April 25, 2019, 10:04:20 AM »
I read the comments by 7800 ebs here: http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,14647.msg266302.html#msg266302 about aluminum wheels they were approved to use on their liner.  I recognized they were front wheels not drive wheels but it assured me of the potential benefits of a metal wheel over a pneumatic tire.  Obviously drive wheel traction is likely non-existent with a smooth aluminum thread but what if traction could be built into the metal tread surface without posing any more damage to the salt than a rubber tread tire creates?

I researched to find an aluminum surface coating process called SlipNOT by the W.S. Molnar Company that deposits molten metal (aluminum, stainless, or steel) via a plasma stream onto a metal substrate.  For aluminum substrates there are two levels of surface courseness (#1 & #2) which appear to me to be viable for this application.  Considering the limited conventional LSR tires available to unlimited liners I see this as the next logical step in safety and availability for wheel driven liners moving into the 500/600 mph range.  Your thoughts please...

https://www.slipnot.com/white-papers/say-no-to-grit-flooring/
https://www.slipnot.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Grade1-Specifications.pdf
https://www.slipnot.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Grade2-Specifications.pdf.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: Aluminum Traction Wheels
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 11:07:57 AM »
Don't forget Carbinite coatings. They also run a fast streamliner. Talk to Rob Freyvogel about your idea.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 11:16:32 AM »
This is going to be a reach in my opinion --- be aware on what SCTA's position has been in the past --remember we are working with 1/4 inch salt in lots of areas at best ---solid does not deflect and increase the foot print--  my guess getting it past all of this would be a reach, anywhere but maybe Bolivia---it would be a reach.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 12:08:06 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 11:23:20 AM »
Rob would be a good call about solid wheel profiles and configs.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline turborick

• Go as fast as we can with as little as we can
    • http://www.bonnevillestreamliner.com
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 04:10:20 PM »
As others have said talk to Rob
Rick Yacoucci

The new Nebulous Theorem 3.5 #788
http://www.bonnevillestreamliner.com

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 04:11:33 PM »
Why try to reinvent the wheel? Its not worth the effort for Bonneville if it was wouldn't others have already been doing it? That answer would be yes if the surface could take the abuse and it was determined to be safe by the SCTA.  Of course a few very fast thrust powered vehicles have used such a wheel but not to gain traction and to support a whole lotta weight.
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 04:53:47 PM »
A few people messed with solid drive wheels back in the late 80's & early 90's when the tire supply dried up but that is not an issue any more. Thrust cars run ribbed solids due to their speed range but they don't run on salt. Wheel driven cars benefit from tire flexibility in both ride & traction.
  Sid.

Offline Simspeed

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 05:11:21 PM »
Yes KBT I'm aware that thrust cars use aluminum wheels and the reasons why.  Just because someone hasn't done something yet isn't the standard for not trying something new or different. I certainly don't believe I'm the first to have this idea but I didn't find much on the forum about it other than the link I added above to the 7800 EBS post.  I could be wrong of course but I don't see the tread coating I linked to having any impact on the salt greater than rubber tires.  If anything it should be something less given that the aluminum wheel plants a flat profile if that's the shape milled into the blank.

Again I'm new to the forum and LSR racing in general so I don't know who Rob is but I'd appreciate contact info so I can get in touch with him and discuss it.  Thanks for everyone's responses.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 05:50:44 PM »
Focus on the first sentence in my post, it's not a new idea.
  Sid.

Offline Podunk

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2019, 07:04:30 PM »
Sid,
If I remember correctly 1st run on the Herbert liner, with tireless aluminum wheels, didn't make it to the lights because driver Don Vesco could not see the horizon because it shook so bad ?
Terry

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2019, 07:24:03 PM »
Right out of the SCTA Rule Book...

1.N COURSE DAMAGE:
Any race vehicle or sub-component thereof such as
header exit, total loss water system, non-pneumatic
wheel/tire combination, etc. that has the potential or has
demonstrated a tendency to damage the race course may
be barred from competition until the vehicle or component
is determined by the SCTA Contest Board to no longer create
an unacceptable amount of damage to the race course.

In excess of 200 MPH: Special tires for racing as designated
by the manufacturer.
Open Record Classes: Tire requirements shall be
determined by the speed in the next larger displacement
class in which a record exists.
The use of any non-rated tire(s) such as implement, farm, aircraft,
reproduction of a vintage automobile tire, motorcycle
tire/rim, 17” drag race tires or any non-pneumatic
wheel/tire combination (no rubber) shall be submitted for
approval. Any request for deviation from any rule contained
in this Rule Book shall be submitted in writing in accordance
with the RULE DEVIATION procedure, Section 1.R.
Tubes are required except for racing tires expressly designed
for use without tubes. It is mandatory that all entrants follow
the tire manufacturer’s air pressure recommendations.
Caution should be exercised on excessive pressure.
Exceptions to any part of the foregoing may be granted by
submission of a letter from the manufacturer stating the
speed and pressure at which a tire may be run. No recaps
are allowed. Tires are subject to inspection by the SCTA
Contest Board at any time. Adequate tire clearance
between the tires and body or chassis is required.
Metal valve caps shall be fitted to all tire valve stems.
Tubeless tires shall use a metal valve stem.

Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 01:34:43 AM »
Sid,
If I remember correctly 1st run on the Herbert liner, with tireless aluminum wheels, didn't make it to the lights because driver Don Vesco could not see the horizon because it shook so bad ?
Terry
Yeah it sounded like a freight train rumbling along & the salt would impact & stick to the wheels, that's why it shook so bad. That was right before I got involved with it & changed it to the first version of the new 800-18 Mickey's which were an absolutely horrible tire.
Remember the blower belt wheels that Bruce Crower built?
  Sid.