Author Topic: Howard Nafzger - So long soon maybe  (Read 1920 times)

velocity

Howard Nafzger - So long soon maybe
« on: April 20, 2019, 04:54:06 PM »
A self-sent "Bon Voyage" from Howard to me that I thought should be posted for any who might be inspired to give him a call. Attach a shot of the car when new. Who now recalls through how many hands this car has passed?

LandSpeed  Louise

He wrote:

"Fading fast . Having to take Nitroglycerine pills to keep the motor running. NOT looking for sympathy as I have had a good run. Just want to acknowledge those who have made this trip worthwhile. No idea when it will happen but common sense says it is close. Thanks for sharing the ride. I love you all.
Howard 😊"

Offline BSTER

Re: Howard Nafzger - So long soon maybe
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 09:21:14 PM »
Howard you were a great Bonneville racer and a good guy to talk with so you hang in there we are all getting older and have problems. Missed seeing you the last few years.Brian Westerdahl DannyBoy Streamliner and Lakester.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 10:48:41 PM »
Well I hope Howard is reading this.... It would mean he is still around... and Howard it is not in your nature to give up on anything. 
I'll tax your memory... we both were using 1 liter Kawasaki motors, you and Brian were running the original little liner.... before you built the big one.  We both qualified, your streamliner, our lakester.... you guys made your record, we fried our clutch.
We had them announce we were looking for a clutch...
You said you had an extra... but you guys were still working to raise your record...
You then gave us your extra while Brian protested a little.... "what if we kill our clutch?"
Remember your answer....
"Then we'll be looking for a clutch"

Thanks for that, we set our record the next day, You raised yours a couple of times that year....
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 05:05:34 AM »
This is Howard as I knew him all his life.....a wonderful great soul....when he finally will find his way home....we will miss someone in our world.....

Howard, bye bye....and thanks for all the great moments we could share
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 10:07:40 AM by PorkPie »
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Cris Shearer

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2019, 10:02:12 AM »
Sorry to hear you are on your last run.  We have felt privileged to have been there for you on the salt.  Your long course salty friends.  Ed & Cris Shearer 

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2019, 11:45:50 AM »
Howard  Sparky here---Thanks for the great visits we had down South  I sure enjoyed and appreciated your "insights"!

I write this after just returning from a celebration of Skip Higginbotham's extremely broad racing career. Had a great catchup  vist with Monty Wolfe as we recalled our 299.??? Red hats!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2019, 12:11:16 PM »
Howard, I'm sorry I never had the opportunity to meet you. Many people here in Tucson told me about "someone who raced at Bonneville" and as it turned out they were referring to Howard Nafzger. I wish you the best, Howard.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ