Author Topic: Frontal Area / Cd numbers  (Read 75247 times)

Offline Simspeed

Re: Frontal Area / Cd numbers
« Reply #120 on: May 03, 2019, 11:11:41 AM »
Good advice Eddie. I'm sorry if I don't give proper recognition to those that have done it, its because I just don't know who most of you are relative to your accomplishments.  Hoping to learn more about you all.  :-)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 04:52:22 PM by Simspeed »

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #121 on: May 03, 2019, 02:52:18 PM »
There are very few that have gone really fast,,  you have several here chiming in.  There are those that theorize and those that do, take advantage of those that have!
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: 8-)
  Sid.

Offline Simspeed

« Reply #122 on: May 03, 2019, 04:53:26 PM »
There are very few that have gone really fast,,  you have several here chiming in.  There are those that theorize and those that do, take advantage of those that have!
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: 8-)
  Sid.

That is what I'm hoping to do Sid...thanks  :-)

Offline John Burk

« Reply #123 on: May 04, 2019, 01:20:33 AM »
"Well I like the idea of increasing the tail fin area to help out with the stability.  Not much frontal area to a 1" fin.  I've emailed Woody hoping to hear back from him before long.  Thanks."

I didn't phrase it well enough . I meant physically tall like 18" long and 5 ft tall so in a yaw when tire friction tries to roll the car outward the air pressure on the tail fin won't let it . I remember tall tail fin on Joe Law's lakester allowed a spin instead of a crash at Elmo .

Offline Simspeed

« Reply #124 on: May 04, 2019, 04:49:49 AM »
I didn't phrase it well enough . I meant physically tall like 18" long and 5 ft tall so in a yaw when tire friction tries to roll the car outward the air pressure on the tail fin won't let it . I remember tall tail fin on Joe Law's lakester allowed a spin instead of a crash at Elmo .

5' on a 30" high car looks pretty tall John.  But whatever works is good with me. At least we have something to move the Cp around with. Woody got back with me and fortunately for him he's got a lot of work going on.  I will likely get these concept body analysis done elsewhere and hopefully work with Woody later down the road for a more detailed look at the car as a whole.  Drawing up another body and chassis with a drooped nose for a CFD comparison of the two.  Frontal area is almost identical for both so Cd is what I'm looking to compare.  Thanks...

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #125 on: May 04, 2019, 11:09:07 AM »
It almost always boils down to TIME-TREASURE-TALENT
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #126 on: May 04, 2019, 11:10:39 AM »
Don’t forget about “Passion “ Sparky.
Key motivating factor.

Rob Freyvogel
AA/BFS
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #127 on: May 04, 2019, 11:16:46 PM »
Key motivating factor.

And you both missed the one we rely on the most.... Dumb Luck  :roll:  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline tallguy

« Reply #128 on: May 07, 2019, 11:41:39 PM »
Key motivating factor.

And you both missed the one we rely on the most.... Dumb Luck  :roll:  :cheers:

We shouldn't be relying much on Dumb Luck -- at least regarding safety.  My 2 cents' worth:  use suspension, and have each steering wheel
pivot about its own pin.  Build economically, and work gradually toward higher speeds, over many years.  Good luck.

Offline Simspeed

« Reply #129 on: May 13, 2019, 07:47:15 PM »
I've studied everyone's comments and suggestions and determined I had no ability to optimize Cg and Cp with the previous design.  So I decided to take a different approach and repackage everything into a front engine layout as shown in the attachments.  I've moved the drive wheels to the rear and designed single wheel suspension steering using a hub center mechanism with dual shocks and hydraulic steering control.

I designed a 50 lb refrigerant intercooler for the intake charge, oil and methanol at the front, and a 30 lb intercooler system for the drive motors and electric controllers at the rear.  Those systems will use digital thermostatic expansion valves to meter refrigerant delivery through control channels in the engine management system.  Low pressure heated refrigerant will bleed off from the expansion lines after passing through the connected intercooler tanks.

Offline Simspeed

« Reply #130 on: May 13, 2019, 07:53:25 PM »
I was able to get 20° of steering lock to lock with the single front wheel vs. 6° for the dual front wheel chassis layout...big improvement.  Do you know anyone else that's using manual hydraulic steering?  Boats use it well, I'm figuring it should work well here too.  Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 08:23:31 PM by Simspeed »

Offline Simspeed

« Reply #131 on: May 13, 2019, 07:55:30 PM »
More attachments

Offline Simspeed

« Reply #132 on: May 13, 2019, 07:59:37 PM »
This new body design actually has a smaller frontal area than my previous one.  Lots of detail missing such as the canopy bracing and tin work but this is just an exercise to see if I can get everything to fit.  Any observations?  Thanks...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 08:11:38 PM by Simspeed »

Offline Simspeed

« Reply #133 on: May 13, 2019, 08:13:36 PM »
Perspectives
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 09:29:02 PM by Simspeed »

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #134 on: May 13, 2019, 09:30:50 PM »
I'm impressed!

Listening in to a bunch of folks that've been there and done that.

We don't get that all the time here.

(I'm way out of comprehending all of this, but I sure can see and respect a lot of guys who have been there – and someone's listening!)
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records