Author Topic: Steering Rules  (Read 12247 times)

Offline Simspeed

Re: Steering Rules
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2019, 11:34:36 PM »
Thanks Glen and RichFox...that's good info to know.  Now I don't feel so bad with the limited steering my design allows. 

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2019, 12:07:04 AM »
Of course you will need to work on your 30 point turn arounds...  :-D

Well I can tell ya Rear Wheel steering is a bit of a problem.... although I know there was someone running it experimentally at El Mirage... one of the SCTA club officers if I remember....
But we tried it in 1978.... that's the year Marty crashed it about 1/4 mile out... maybe 55 MPH... fell over and slid forever according to Marty.... about 10 seconds  :roll:
Fixed it, changed from side by side to inline rear wheels...
In 1979 Marty said he wasn't driving it again,  :-o so Johnboy drove.... he made it about the same distance....  :|
It didn't just fall over... it jumped in the air and rolled a half dozen times before it hit the ground.  We were politely asked to never bring it back... Then they wrote a rule... Cars steer by 2 front wheels

In 1984 that liner was converted to a Lakester... one we raced successfully till 2017 when Johnboy again crashed it... but this time at 190... Oh sure it suffered a half a dozen spins over the years... but the last count was 10 records still in the book when it met its demise.
Don't do RWS  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2019, 11:51:03 AM »
At the Salt Talks in 2006 (I think) I asked Andy Green how he ever got used to the rear steering on Thrust. He said "I never did really."

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ