(Note: Donations are not tax deductible)

This is a public forum. The opinions expressed here don't
necessarily reflect the feelings of The Folks That Run The Site (that's us)
unless we explicitly say so, ok?

Forum's been "upgraded".
Things will look a bit different.
A *few* posts might have gotten lost in the crossover.
PM bobc with problems, or post in "Website Suggestions".

Author Topic: Steering Rules  (Read 2112 times)

Offline Simspeed

Re: Steering Rules
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2019, 10:34:36 PM »
Thanks Glen and RichFox...that's good info to know.  Now I don't feel so bad with the limited steering my design allows. 

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2019, 11:07:04 PM »
Of course you will need to work on your 30 point turn arounds...  :-D

Well I can tell ya Rear Wheel steering is a bit of a problem.... although I know there was someone running it experimentally at El Mirage... one of the SCTA club officers if I remember....
But we tried it in 1978.... that's the year Marty crashed it about 1/4 mile out... maybe 55 MPH... fell over and slid forever according to Marty.... about 10 seconds  :roll:
Fixed it, changed from side by side to inline rear wheels...
In 1979 Marty said he wasn't driving it again,  :-o so Johnboy drove.... he made it about the same distance....  :|
It didn't just fall over... it jumped in the air and rolled a half dozen times before it hit the ground.  We were politely asked to never bring it back... Then they wrote a rule... Cars steer by 2 front wheels

In 1984 that liner was converted to a Lakester... one we raced successfully till 2017 when Johnboy again crashed it... but this time at 190... Oh sure it suffered a half a dozen spins over the years... but the last count was 10 records still in the book when it met its demise.
Don't do RWS  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, MSA Bockscar Lakester with a little N20 
MSA Bockscar Lakester #1000 my fastest mile 245 and change, 84 ci turbobusa motor... but Corey's 233 MPH H/BFL record is still 3MPH faster than mine.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2019, 10:51:03 AM »
At the Salt Talks in 2006 (I think) I asked Andy Green how he ever got used to the rear steering on Thrust. He said "I never did really."

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ