Author Topic: Lakester wheelbase?  (Read 20022 times)

Offline puppy

• New folks
Re: Lakester wheelbase?
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2020, 09:41:07 PM »
Thanks Mike, that car is way cool!
Bobby

Offline Beef Stew

« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2020, 10:03:55 PM »
The other bad thing about standing kilo records is they don't sound fast when you try to brag about them, as they are average speeds for the kilo rather than a peak number.

To quote Reggie Jackson: The only person I have to impress is me.  :-)

Former record holder at RIR ½ mile drags, El Mirage and Bonneville.

Beef Stew doesn't have his head where the sun-don't-shine. His head is in SoCal where the unusual is an everyday happening.

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2020, 05:21:53 AM »
The British would set up a standing start kilometre for any driver or rider on a pre-surveyed runway.

The USA hold the FIA record speeds. In A-I-10 and A-I-13 they are 132.716mph and 132.910mph. Held by Mickey Thompson.

The UK national solo motorbike record speed is nearing twenty years old and stands at 127.27mph. The FIM World bike SS 1km is 127.309mph.

[The Absolute FIA standing start kilometre record speed is 234.775mph (but you may have guessed) it is in C-TH-RT to the Pollution Packer rocket car.]
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 05:34:27 AM by Malcolm UK »
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline tortoise

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2020, 11:58:10 AM »
If a fuel dragster hit 300 mph in 4 seconds in 1000 ft and continued at that speed for the rest of the kilo, it would average about 243 mph, by my calculation.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2020, 12:09:49 PM »
Hey Pup, notice how some threads take on an off topic life of their own?   :cheers:
Straying is in our nature around here  1drink
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Frank06

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2020, 12:43:29 PM »
It would definitely be worth your time to visit some of the venues this year.  Loring always has a pretty diverse mix of vehicles to investigate.  The July event is scheduled Wednesday -> Sunday (if there's anyone left to run).  Also, the rules are online: www.loringtiming.com.
E-Racer

Offline puppy

• New folks
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2020, 03:40:02 PM »
Hey Pup, notice how some threads take on an off topic life of their own?   :cheers:
Straying is in our nature around here  1drink
I see and that's ok! I enjoy hearing like minded peeps chat about these things!
Bobby

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2020, 05:09:26 PM »
To Tortoise #33. The Top Fuel dragster would need (a) a fully prepared and groomed track available in both directions and (b) tyres that could last the kilometre distance (that is an extra 2300ft) at sustained speed (both front and rear). I do not know of any dragstrip that could be used for land speed record breaking.   

ps of course the motor would have to complete the longer distance on its first run intact and then be ready to do the return pass over the 3300ft within one hour.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 05:31:13 PM by Malcolm UK »
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline jl222

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2020, 06:04:05 PM »

To Malcolm...  A top fueler Dragster, Funny Car could back off the tune of 10,000 +hp,
less nitro, less timing, less initial throttle, ECT. and still have plenty of power to go faster than 132 mph.
 Sorta like Arley Langlo is doing in his Streamliner. Motors out of his Top Fuel dragster.

JL222

Offline puppy

• New folks
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2020, 06:37:10 PM »

To Malcolm...  A top fueler Dragster, Funny Car could back off the tune of 10,000 +hp,
less nitro, less timing, less initial throttle, ECT. and still have plenty of power to go faster than 132 mph.

I know right? They blow the tires off and get out of the gas after a half second and still go through the traps at 130MPH  :-) :-D :-o
Bobby

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2020, 11:59:51 PM »
Have you guys walked on a drag strip lately.... did it pull your shoes off?  :x
I think that is what Malcolm is talking about... Most of the runways aren't prepped with VHT, for 3300 so it would be traction limited for most dragsters.
OK who wants to take their TF car to Loring  1drink  :friday  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Beef Stew

« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2020, 01:00:29 AM »
To Tortoise #33. The Top Fuel dragster would need (a) a fully prepared and groomed track available in both directions and (b) tyres that could last the kilometre distance (that is an extra 2300ft) at sustained speed (both front and rear). I do not know of any dragstrip that could be used for land speed record breaking.   

Why would anyone, who doesn't have a death wish, want to use a Top Fuel car? A Junior Fuel dragster (Five liters unblown) would be scary-fast running 3280.8 ft (one klick). I was thinking that a three liter (183 inch) car could work with available tire-technology.   

Why would you need a dragstrip? Wendover Airport ( the former Wendover Air Force Base) has two 8,000-foot (2,400 meters) runways and at least one record has been set there. The longest of Mojave Air and Space Port's (home of the Mojave Mile) three runways is 12,503 feet (3,811 meters). The Bridgestone/Firestone Test Track at Fort Stockton Texas is a 7.7 mile oval (straights over 1.5 miles), and was used by AJ Foyt to set a flying mile record, 257.123 mph (413.788 km/h).

Former record holder at RIR ½ mile drags, El Mirage and Bonneville.

Beef Stew doesn't have his head where the sun-don't-shine. His head is in SoCal where the unusual is an everyday happening.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2020, 05:04:34 PM »
Based on my limited experience some things to consider in laying out and fabbing a lakester drivers compartment.

Design it big, far easier to shim supports and padding in to fit future smaller drivers or owners than have to rebuild larger later.  Factor in provisions for adjusting seat, control, and pedal positions for the same reason.

Take all layout  measurements with full driver gear on or close mock up substitutes such as heavy insulated winter coat/bib overalls for firesuit, strings/straps for arm restraints,  helmet same as or very close to one to be used, head and neck restraint device, etc.   Factor in the recommended belt/harness mounts and routing for the system you choose. Usually having all adjusters pulling towards the central latch works best for lakesters.  Little differences in eye port in helmet / seat layback  match for line of sight can cause issues later.  I wear bi focal's and discovered that a pair with just the distance portion ground in worked best for me to focus down course with the tach needle position in view at the same time.  Glanced at the water temp and oil pressure needle positions at the start  line then after going through the lights, saved any close number studies until reading the data logs later in the pits.  

Tip from another lakester team that really helped us - some switches are more easily operated with arm restraints hooked up when mounted across the body on the opposite side.  We located the inertia/roll over electrical cut out (used a stock Ford) for the electric fuel pump there for a quick reset if necessary alongside the elec water pump switch and starter button.  Another tip from same team that works well - vertical post just ahead of the quick disconnect steering wheel for wheel storage and use as a handle for driver to pull forward, up, and out of the cage during exit or bailout.

Used a pull to activate fire bottle cable after seeing a push to activate cable on another lakester get broken right at the pin hole when a crew member happened to hit it while reaching into the cockpit to do work in the pits.

Car I drove is all set up so left hand can remain on the wheel at all times with the right operating the shifter and all other switches and controls.  Just seems the most natural to me, I figure more natural comfort equals more time and focus for the driving.  All done while keeping an easy smooth bailout with the least amount of time required in mind.

Stay safe, have fun, go fast   :-)

Ed

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2020, 05:09:11 PM »
Shifting gear with the right hand is not natural  :-D
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2020, 10:37:16 PM »
     New England right hand........... :cheers:

Ed
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 10:43:15 PM by RidgeRunner »