Author Topic: SCTA Organizes First Running at Bonneville 1949  (Read 5053 times)

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Re: SCTA Organizes First Running at Bonneville 1949
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2019, 09:34:37 AM »
Jalopy Journal -> hamb -> trog
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline RichFox

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2019, 09:52:53 AM »
Kid; As I understand it, you want to participate in Land Speed Trials. But you feel that the existing structure requires to much effort to build a legal car. You want a place to run a "Bird style" car. You can do that. Mike Cook thought that he could improve on the SCTA  style of event, So he began running his own. Nothing stopping you doing the same. Your own meet for "Bird Style" cars Find a place, Arrange timing equipment and have at it. The "Bird Style" Nationals. Or BS Nationals for short.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2019, 10:01:07 AM »
CKid.... do you know anything about vintage sports car racing...  they do not bang fenders on those $125K-250K cars... it is a gentleman's racing sport...

And no... anything that does not meet the current safety requirements will not race in land speed racing venues.  There  are a variety of venues on runways that have different rules but you better read them and comply with that organization's rules if you expect to race.  
Lawyers and insurance companies drive a lot of it...  :dhorse:

So if you want to run on your own on any variety of dry lakes out there or on abandoned runways then go for it.... Let Darwin be your guide... but don't expect the folks on this site to be complicit in your plans.  There is no section dedicated outlaw racing....

This site is about current rules and racing.... with respect to our history... most of us know people that paid for a rule change in blood.  

And some of us participating on this site have survived wrecks from 150 to 400+ MPH because of those rules.  

If you want to start your own no rules racing organization then go for it, but that topic is not something we do here.  So I suspect unless you want to follow your buddy Franklin....keep that in mind

Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

The California Kid

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2019, 10:56:16 AM »

'Kid; As I understand it, you want to participate in Land Speed Trials'

Sorry you got that impression.No we don't.

Building a car that is Flying Mile style and running it down a deserted air strip.

Keeping it simple.One thing at a time.

I hope that clears things up.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2019, 11:51:20 AM »
Sorry. I took your comments about a new SCTA class for Front Wheel Drive , Corvair powered cars to imply you wanted to run with the SCTA.. This thread kind of skips around a lot and it is hard to keep up. I have lived in California for some time. But it is a big state. Still, I am not aware of these abandoned airstrips that you can run on. Can you enlighten me? What part of the state do you live in?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 11:58:51 AM by RichFox »

The California Kid

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2019, 12:42:14 PM »

'Sorry. I took your comments about a new SCTA class for Front Wheel Drive , Corvair powered cars to imply you wanted to run with the SCTA..'

Rich.I think Front Drive Corvair drivetrain streamliners can run in that 'Sunday' catchall running for starters.If I understood what I read about a 'catchall' running.Like for cars that don't fit in a class.

As far as abandoned straight roads and airstrips just use same method as finding sitting cars.
Keep your eyes open and ask the right people.You probably know that.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2019, 12:54:56 PM »
Yes you can run as a "Time Only" entry. But it would still need to meet all the safety rules as a Lakester or Streamliner. So why not just run in class? I think that would be a more straight forward way of going through tech. As far as asking "The right people". If you know of one around the center of the state, That would be you. So I thought that was what I was doing.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 01:23:36 PM by RichFox »

The California Kid

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2019, 01:25:57 PM »

'So why not just run in class? I think that would be a more straight forward way of going through tech.'

To fix the communication here let me say this.

You say 'you'.We're stay at homes.That's that.

If someone wants to build a Front Drive Corvair and go up there and run in the 'Time Only' seesion I think that's great!

I think it was you that said our Kohler powered straamliner is a 'Hobby Car'.

That is what we're doing.Also getting our Corvair engine down here to start the 'Getting to Know the Engine' thing.

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2019, 02:38:50 PM »
Kid; As I understand it, you want to participate in Land Speed Trials. But you feel that the existing structure requires to much effort to build a legal car. You want a place to run a "Bird style" car. You can do that. Mike Cook thought that he could improve on the SCTA  style of event, So he began running his own. Nothing stopping you doing the same. Your own meet for "Bird Style" cars Find a place, Arrange timing equipment and have at it. The "Bird Style" Nationals. Or BS Nationals for short.

Great idea the BS nationals gives one the the opportunity to use other words starting wilt each letter when needed.   :lol:
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2019, 06:32:51 PM »
Hint to members . . .

Go back and read all this dribble.

Why bother trying to advise and participate?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2019, 01:09:20 AM »
Reads like drivel. :-(
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Mike Borders

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2019, 03:18:51 AM »
"Never try to teach a pig to sing -- it wastes your time, and annoys the pig."    :roll:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2019, 10:22:16 AM »
With Darwin as his guide it looks like he has followed Franklin into the internet abyss....
If they continue on their quest I'm sure we will read about them in the paper....  :|  :?
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O