Author Topic: Wind Tunnels in the West?  (Read 2400 times)

Offline Mike Borders

Wind Tunnels in the West?
« on: April 03, 2019, 11:47:52 AM »
Now that the Darko tunnel is gone, are there any other tunnels in the Western US we can use?

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Wind Tunnels in the West?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 08:29:38 PM »
Cal-Poly has one I think.... all you have to do is interest a grad student....
Wichita State has one.... it's in the middle... not west... mostly airplanes, but they did do a 50cc sidecar

I heard you could buy the Darko Tunnel... it is for sale... I think Landspeed Louise is the real estate agent in charge  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 09:35:52 PM »
Talk to Marlo, his car was in a tunnel in Washington state.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 10:23:18 PM »
Some time was spent searching for a wind tunnel for the Triumph.  More than just a tunnel was needed considering my low skill level.  I needed someone operating the tunnel that could work with a novice and was geared up to analyze bikes.  More than data was needed.  An interpretation of what the numbers said was vital.  The nearest tunnel I could find was A2 in North Carolina.  It is sorta west, of Portugal...     

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 01:50:39 PM »
  Mike, Marlo's windtunnel vehicle was a beautiful and "dimensionally accurate" hand carved four foot long wooden model built by the actual race car builder, Jim Hume, who
as I have mentioned before has (or had ?) some of His wooden "Fabrege'" egg's displayed in the Smithsonian Museum.
  Jim carved a second "bottom half" of the model which was mated wheel to wheel with the full model (inverted) for some if not all of the tests.  The model was painted with a liquid chalk like substance which dried in the tunnel and provided a excellent footprint to follow.
  The wind tunnel was at a small Engineering College in the Seattle (think Boeing) area.  I believe their are some pictures on the Target 550 site.
p.s.  Rumor has it that the Race Car has a new driver and it aint a He...................
                                                                          "One Run", out......................................................... :-o :-o :cheers:
Bob Drury

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 06:40:50 PM »
I think that wind tunnel testing was done at Western Washington University. They have a pretty cool Vehicle Research Institute program.

Offline ack

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 10:33:34 PM »