Author Topic: Flathead Ford Experts...  (Read 2841 times)

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
Flathead Ford Experts...
« on: March 28, 2019, 01:39:34 PM »
Anyone know the rationale/purpose behind those rods running from the bellhousing to the front of the block?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 01:42:42 PM by floydjer »
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Flathead Ford Experts...
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 02:22:49 PM »
If the block doesn't bend the crank won't break?  :-D :-D :-D

Hey Jerry, it's almost Friday.

Pete

Offline Podunk

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 03:50:07 PM »
They are right under the exhaust. When the engine runs they will be " hot rods ".

Offline floydjer

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 09:10:00 PM »
I know Pete....Just hours away from bad puns, silly situational humor and witty reparte`....Or if we want to rest our brains? We can just troll the snowflakes  :evil:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 01:30:40 AM »
They remind me of the clutch-anti-chatter rods that some flathead Fords had- maybe just temporarily attached to front of block instead of to front crossmember?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 01:39:48 AM »
The only time I'd ever seen them back in the day was on truck engines & I assumed they were to stiffen the bellhousing. Never saw any on a pickup or car.
  Sid.

Offline floydjer

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 08:52:57 AM »
I was thinking truck/industrial or stationary power...I showed that to an "old guy" buddy that worked in an automotive machine shop until he retired in 1985 and he said WTF

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 10:53:18 AM »
I wonder if it helps the guy putting the engine together? Turn it around easier & lay it over to set the crank then pick it back up to install pistons etc...
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2019, 11:23:32 AM »
 A flathead expert well let me see if I can help. The two rods are called anti chatter rods. When the engine is installed in the chassis the rods go rearward bolted to the bell housing casting in the location as shown in the photo but now pointing rearward so they can be bolted to the transmission cross member. Look closely and you will see the hole in the end of the rod is actually tapered a special bolt was used to attach the rods to a matching tapered shape stamped in the frame cross member. The builder just moved them forward to be out of the way during engine assembly.             :cheers:
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline floydjer

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2019, 11:37:25 AM »
Indeed....Must have placed them in the holes backward to keep them w/ that engine.  Mystery solved.

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2019, 11:36:47 PM »
Well I was at least close! As for the rods anchoring to the front crossmember, maybe I'm remembering what some hot rodders did?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020