Author Topic: Parachute anchor requirements  (Read 2217 times)

Offline Dodge Brother

• TS Coachworks
Parachute anchor requirements
« on: March 27, 2019, 11:18:03 PM »
I did a search but could not find this exact discussion. I' trying to find out what I need to comply with the following statement/rule "Parachutes shall be securely mounted to a suitable cross-member using an anchor that is at least 1 inch diameter or 1/2 inch radius". Wondering if I need to use a 1" bolt at the parachute tether to cross member or would a 1/2" bolt through a piece of 1" aluminum round stock be acceptable? I'm thinking the intent is the 1" material is required for tether retention and not just to ensure a large enough mounting piece so as to lessen the chance of cutting/tearing through the tether but as happens often, I could be wrong.

Any info/clarification that keeps me moving in the right direction is appreciated.
Trevor
 :cheers:

3.M   PARACHUTE:
An approved parachute is required on all cars that qualify for the long course (175 MPH). Vehicles that exceed 300 MPH shall be equipped with two (2) independent parachute systems. Parachutes shall be securely mounted to a suitable cross-member using an anchor that is at least 1 inch diameter or 1/2 inch radius.  All parachutes shall be opened during inspection.  Special attention shall be given to the length and mounting point of the parachute tether line.  The manufacturer’s recommendations should be followed regarding parachute size, mounting, etc.
On those vehicles required to have parachute(s), the deployment of the parachute(s) is at the driver’s discretion, consistent with safe and efficient event and vehicle operation.
Parachute failures, such as the parachute pack not opening, parachute canopy not opening, parachute separation from the vehicle, handling problems as a result of parachute opening, etc., will require a re-inspection.
ALL VEHICLES HAVING A PARACHUTE FAILURE SHALL RETURN TO THE INSPECTION AREA WITH ALL COMPONENTS OF THE PARACHUTE SYSTEM. A NOTATION WILL BE MADE IN THE VEHICLE LOG BOOK DESCRIBING THE FAILURE AND SOLUTION.

Offline handyguy

• BANTAM FOURPLAY
Re: Parachute anchor requirements
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 12:55:59 AM »
The radius is to be the 1 inch , using a tube over the 1/2" bolt I have seen KIWI accept several times so the tether doesn,t have to sharp of a bend . I don't know if aluminum is stiff enough not to distort .   Steve A  in inspection lane..

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 02:29:17 AM »
Your thinking is correct, the intention of the rule is to have a 1"dia minimum that the tow line is mounted to, the size of the bolt or bolts mounting that to the vehicle is not stated in the rule. A piece of 1" or larger aluminum round bar with a mounting bolt through it normally what people do.
  Sid.

Offline Dodge Brother

• TS Coachworks
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 11:19:41 AM »
Steve/Sid
Thank you for the clarification, you saved me a bunch of work and any time I can save getting this built, gives me that much better chance of making in time for Speed Week.
A piece of 1"+ round stock bored through the center it will be.
Thanks
Trevor

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 11:20:12 AM »
We have always used a 1/2 in high grade bolt thru a 1+ inch piece of aluminum... it works fine.
New car getting same :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O