Author Topic: Which Class Would this fit in?  (Read 3289 times)

Offline maiken

• New folks
Which Class Would this fit in?
« on: March 20, 2019, 10:51:13 AM »
Hi everyone,

I am new to this and need a little guidance. I have searched but cannot find the answer. I would like to build and run a 1974 BMW 2002. I could run the engine in stock form but would prefer no to. My 2 ideal options would be to run the stock 2.0ish liter engine but fuel injected and possibly turbocharged or I could do an engine swap to use a larger 3.2 liter 6cyl. BMW engine naturally aspirated. Simple body mods would be rear spoiler, maybe flat bottom and a front air dam of some sort. I have found the engine classes so that one is easy but I cannot figure out which car class I would run in. I'm thinking the Classic Category but not sure. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: Which Class Would this fit in?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 11:08:30 AM »
Welcome to LSR. You will hear this a lot... Get a rule book!

To run in Production class the body must be stock. Lots of options for the engines. Get a rule book as it will become easier to understand what we are saying.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline maiken

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 11:36:39 AM »
Thank you. I ordered one today and I'm sure that will help. I spoke with the folks over at the Utah salt flats racing association and they couldn't figure it out and they had a rule book handy. They recommended to pose the question on this forum.

Offline jdincau

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 11:50:44 AM »
If by "flat bottom" you mean a belly pan that would put you in competition coupe and sedan
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 12:07:39 PM »
Thank you. I ordered one today and I'm sure that will help. I spoke with the folks over at the Utah salt flats racing association and they couldn't figure it out and they had a rule book handy. They recommended to pose the question on this forum.

What I meant was IF you want to run in Production Class your body (and undercarriage) must be stock!
An engine swap (different engine than was available in your car) moves you to Gas Coupe
Moving to Altered allows some body mods like you mention.
Comp Coupe allows Belly pans and lots of body mods.
Accordingly, the speeds tend to go up as you move up in the Class structure.

Enjoy the ride!
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 12:39:42 PM »
If you are running for fun, no problem, you can pretty much find a class it will fit into (some limitations). If you are interested in getting close to a record, maybe not first time out but eventually, you want to stay in Classic if at all possible (non stock EFI for instance is a disqualifier). Reason I say this is that the NA G class records are pretty much out of sight for any more or less normal (read it came in a car from some factory) engine. (when was the time you saw a NA 2 liter making >400hp on gasoline?) With boost they are in the 210 up to 240 range depending on the body. When you get your rule book you will see what I mean.  Anyway, salt gets in your blood. Depending on your point of view is a bad or good disease.  :cheers: 8-) Have fun.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline maiken

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 12:58:28 PM »
Thank you. I'm looking forward to getting this thing going.

Offline Skip Pipes

• I hate being bipolar, its awesome!
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 03:11:42 PM »
Hi Mike

This is the best simple explanation of car class progression I’ve ever seen. Most of us think we understand (sometimes inaccurately) what modifications move your car to the next higher class, but for a rookie this was a great example. 

Skip Pipes
Skip's Garage
Builder of the SUNBEAM ALPINE Police Interceptor

Offline sabat

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 04:01:48 PM »
I've been following LSR for 12 years (on bikes) and I have about zero clue as to what separates the car chassis classes, other than streamliners, lakesters, and production. Even production I'm a little hazy on.  :-D

LittleLiner

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 07:58:43 PM »
Disclaimer - I am not authorized to speak for any LSR sanctioning body.  These are my understandings of the class questions you have asked . . .

The Classic Category has a few specific things that restrict what you can do with the engine’s induction and/or ignition systems.  The BMW model 2002tii was available with fuel injection and that production style BMW FI system would be OK in Classic (Production, Gas Coupe and Altered).  If you decide to go with a more modern EFI system it would move the car out of classic and into the Production Category (if otherwise legal in Production) or the Modified Category (Gas Coupe or Altered or Comp Coupe.)  Also look at the restrictions on ignition systems for Classic.   If you go with carbs you could run anything.  Modifications to Carb intake systems are pretty much open in Classic Production and regular Production.

As far as body modifications -  as has been said, - Production is pretty much as it came from the factory.  If you run an air dam and/or spoiler they must have been the same as those available on the production car.  You can add a hood scoop.  Gas Coupe allows a non stock air dam but that air dam must not block the original air intake openings in the original grille work.  A Spoiler (non-stock) will move the car to the Altered Class.  In Altered the air dam may completely cover the grill intake.  In altered you may run a non-production spoiler.  See rule book for specific limits on spoiler size, shape and location.  Modifications beyond that (with a few limits) moves the car to Competition Coupe.

There are a few little tricks to be aware of.  If you don’t want to run in Production but still want to run the production engine you can install a quick change rear or a non-stock supercharger.  Those changes will make the car a Gas Coupe.  Or you can cover the grill openings and that moves the car into Altered.  Or install a full belly pan and move into Comp Coupe. 

There are some little things to watch out for.  You must read the rule book in great detail to discover them all.  Examples include the way you mount replacement windows varies from body class to body class.  Another is the location and size of the radiator which varies from class to class.

As far as running the 2.0 or the 3.2 engine . . . look at the records for Bonneville before you decide on the engine . . http://nebula.wsimg.com/b314ca8f5567116ebfbffbec7755fae8?AccessKeyId=1B489604A3781742F233&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

G class in capped at 2.0 liters.   E class is  for engines over 3.0 liter up to 4.2 liter.  Your 3.2 engine will be giving up a liter of displacement in E Class.

Bonneville records for unblown gas classes:

G/CPRO - 149.815
E/CPRO -  203.100

G/CGC -  118.618
E/CGC  -  210.420

G/CALT -  127.483
E/CALT -   221.953

G/PRO  -   174.525
E/PRO   -   205.064

G/GC  -  191.838
E/GC  -   216.532

G/GALT -   210.161
E/GALT  -  264.621

Whatever class you end up in be sure to check the safety equipment required for a car in a class with that record speed (i.e, over 175mph requires a parachute)

Welcome to LSR