Author Topic: /GC and Engine swaps  (Read 4189 times)

Offline Bow

/GC and Engine swaps
« on: November 20, 2006, 02:05:50 PM »
If I wanted to run in class /GC, does the engine swap have to be from the same manufacture as the chassis?

Can I drop a Chevy engine in a Ford (not that I would, just asking) and run in the /GC class?

The 2006 Rulebook does say anything about crossbreeding engine and chassis combinations...

Can I stick a 350 small block in a Mustang and run in C/GC?
Bow

Cut with an axe, Beat to fit, Paint to match

dwarner

/GC and Engine swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 02:53:24 PM »
Yes, an engine swap between manufacturers is the easy one to put you into Gas Coupe. The rulebook defines what is not a engine swap.

DW

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
/GC and Engine swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 03:05:01 PM »
SCTA '06 rule book pg. 60 states "Engine swap as defined in section 4.N is permitted." pg. 37 4.N "An engine swap is the replacement of the original engine with one of a design, which was not available as a factory option for the particular car in question. The main factors used in determining design differences are cylinder head bolt pattern, intake manifold bolt pattern, and bell housing bolt pattern. Bore and stroke are not considered. Examples: A Chevrolet 350 engine in a 1955 Chevrolet is not a swap, but a Chevrolet 396in a 1955 Chevrolet is."
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Bow

/GC and Engine swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 03:17:36 PM »
Quote from: dynoroom
SCTA '06 rule book pg. 60 states "Engine swap as defined in section 4.N is permitted." pg. 37 4.N "An engine swap is the replacement of the original engine with one of a design, which was not available as a factory option for the particular car in question. The main factors used in determining design differences are cylinder head bolt pattern, intake manifold bolt pattern, and bell housing bolt pattern. Bore and stroke are not considered. Examples: A Chevrolet 350 engine in a 1955 Chevrolet is not a swap, but a Chevrolet 396in a 1955 Chevrolet is."

Exactly, but it was a bit grey to me as far as crossbreeding Engine makers and Chassis makers.

Thanks Dan and Mike!
Bow

Offline smitty2

• Worlds fastest miniature Pachyderm.
/GC and Engine swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 03:37:10 PM »
I too was wondering about that particular rule.... It is a little confusing, but my question is that I have a 1980 Trans Am and that year only came with a 301 cube motor. Could I hang some 70 to 79 sheet metal on this and be able to run the 455 I would like to use, or do the Tech guys run a VIN number check to make sure my 70 Bird is really a 1980?
 If I could run as a 1980 model with the 455 it sure would be nice to use the pointy 80 nose instead of the 1970 brick shaped front end.

Thanks...        Smitty

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
JUST BECAUSE
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 04:47:17 PM »
The burden of proof the assembly is as available from the OEM is on the entrant.
 It is up to you to prove all of the required exterior features as was available from the manufacture.
A brochure, parts book, or other factory material should be available for inspection.
The tech people reserve the right to hold your paperwork and verify the
accuracy after the event.
Engine swaps are not permitted in a Modified MC because ................
(put your guess here).......... :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Bow

Re: /GC and Engine swaps
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 08:46:45 AM »
Thanks for the reply gents.

As always, my questions have been answered...  :mrgreen:
Bow

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 12:41:54 PM »
It's really up to you to declare what it is. It will be written in the front of your logbook. If you take a low production vehicle and change it to a "normal" one to race it we don't care. It will always be what you say it is while you race it. If, when you are done, you return it to stock it will then be what it was. But not to the SCTA. John Rains Bird is technically a Production Supercharged car to us for life because it was declared to be that. He may run other classes but at the moment one of those will NOT be Blown Gas Coupe as it is now raced.
Now, you are really confused?................J.D.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline smitty2

• Worlds fastest miniature Pachyderm.
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 01:52:06 PM »
 Thanks you guys,
 That cleared up my confusion.
 I don't know if you saw the picture I  posted of the Purple Trans Am,but my wife insists she is going to have a race car... Since she feeds me I guess I can't argue :|
I would prefer to keep it all Pontiac, but after going through catalogs and what not... I believe a small block chev will be motor of choice.( Read that as "more" choices.) I actually think this will be an easier build than my roadster that is currently taking up all the room in my shop. Of course they all look like an "easy" build when you first start them!
BTW... the purple paint is coming off a lot easier than first thought...  some really high winds plus a heat gun, and BIG putty knife make stripping this beast fun.

I sure do like this new board layout....       Happy Holidays..... Smitty