Author Topic: Electric motors for streamliners:  (Read 3391 times)

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Electric motors for streamliners:
« on: March 08, 2019, 02:51:34 PM »
Just got my latest copy of "Race Engine Technology" and there is a company that is advertising 1000 hp @ 6000 rpm electric motors. Imagine a streamliner like the Freyvogel/Barnhart Carbinliner with two of these driving the rear axle directly. At 6000 rpm the torque is around 915 lb-ft, what transmission! Traction control would be a fairly straight forward control loop and much more responsive than anything you can do with an IC engine. Yes there would be a lot of electronics (which really love the salt!) and cooling and of course charging the batteries but they are not affected by altitude so the car would be really fast at the 12,000 ft altitude on the South American salt lakes. Lots of systems that most of us old "normal" guys don't understand but many of the new and younger guys this would be right down their line. Get Elon for a sponser!???

Just checked my lotto numbers and have to put of this project at least until next week!!!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Buickguy3

Re: Electric motors for streamliners:
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 04:55:13 PM »
   GM is supposed to be releasing an E-crate motor setup shortly with two 300 hp motors that will bold to a TH 400 bolt pattern. Supposed to be a plug 'N play setup. We'll see.
   Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline desotoman

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 05:46:21 PM »
These guys ran Pikes Peak with these two motors and a power-glide. Set a record also.

Tom G.

https://youtu.be/Ie7qvo-aC5k
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Frank06

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 08:00:46 AM »
They did set a record but had to "detune" those motors.  DC series motors build a lot of heat internally and are air-cooled which is the limiting factor for any kind of longer race.  The best motor choice for LSR or Pikes is A.C. or Permanent Magnet ($$) which can be liquid cooled and run at high output for longer periods of time.  DC series are the balls for drag racing though - nothing can make torque like they can. 

There are some interesting vehicles being built these days, have to love it.
E-Racer

Offline Frank06

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 10:28:32 AM »
Not to say their builds aren't beautiful and it's not cool!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAnzPAsvHL0
E-Racer

Offline bubruins

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 09:59:37 PM »
Keep on eye on John Metric & his EV efforts. There has also been a bit of discussion on the diyelectriccar forum about some E/2 efforts in the works. Should be fun! One thing for sure: we'll see more innovation quicker in this tech than we have lately at the very top of the exponential learning curve of internal combustion tech used for LSR. The question really is: when do you want to get involved?

Offline dw230

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 11:11:06 PM »
There are some interesting vehicles being built these days, have to love it.

No I don't!

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline bubruins

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 11:32:15 PM »
Ol DW is gonna love the 450hp "starter motor" on my C/GR

Kidding... kidding...

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 12:24:39 PM »
Is that the "Prius" option on the '36 Cords?  Or is that a extension of my imagination.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 02:35:02 PM »
 Good idea for yet another class.  Electric and driver-less just think of the possibility's.   The crew could take a nap during the run!   :roll:
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline jl222

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2019, 03:01:23 PM »
Good idea for yet another class.  Electric and driver-less just think of the possibility's.   The crew could take a nap during the run!   :roll:

In 10 years don't have to leave town :-o

Jl222

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2019, 06:00:56 PM »
Yaa – screw those rip-off hotels.  Just drive the car up from the comfort of your home, run it and drive it home.  What could be easier?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2019, 11:44:45 PM »
not as much sunburn and most likely not as much beer bill!  :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!