Author Topic: SpeedWeek 2019  (Read 155968 times)

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
Re: SpeedWeek 2019
« Reply #315 on: August 26, 2019, 11:29:28 AM »
This is what the BLM post on FB;

Have you ever seen the iconic sign with the stickers all over it at the entryway of the Bonneville Salt Flats? Do not be alarmed when it?s not there on your next visit. BLM removed this sign today and are working to replace it with a new one. BLM is working with the Southern California Timing Association to allow them to curate it in their BSF museum.

Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline gowing

« Reply #316 on: August 26, 2019, 11:54:32 AM »
Terrible timing ..... that's all I'm saying.

Imagine coming from the other side of the planet to experience  salt racing,
(and part of the experience being taking a pic with the Bonneville sign)
only to get out there and find out that someone thought it would be a good idea to remove it Before having a replacement sign ready to install.

Incompetence? Inconsideration? obviously a lack of forethought by whoever OK'ed it.
well...... Just another bad decision by the BLM on how to manage the operations on the salt.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #317 on: August 26, 2019, 12:10:19 PM »
This is from Facebook's Land Speed Racing page:

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #318 on: August 26, 2019, 12:25:50 PM »
Terrible timing ..... that's all I'm saying.

Imagine coming from the other side of the planet to experience  salt racing,
(and part of the experience being taking a pic with the Bonneville sign)
only to get out there and find out that someone thought it would be a good idea to remove it Before having a replacement sign ready to install.

Incompetence? Inconsideration? obviously a lack of forethought by whoever OK'ed it.
well...... Just another bad decision by the BLM on how to manage the operations on the salt.
  My understanding is that it was coordinated with the SCTA so they could take the sign while at Bonneville for speed week. Not having the replacement ready does seem dumb though.
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #319 on: August 26, 2019, 12:29:45 PM »
My guess is they needed to immediately fix the 44000 acres statement to be 30000 since the salt has shrunk! 
Mindless bureaucrats... there is a reason it ends in RATS
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #320 on: August 26, 2019, 01:25:52 PM »
"Incompetence? Inconsideration? obviously a lack of forethought by whoever . . ."

Oh ? I thought you were talking about the idiots that plastered stickers all over it.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline desotoman

« Reply #321 on: August 26, 2019, 02:03:00 PM »

Or consider this. 
This morning, Intrepid is trading at 2.88 per share. 
For the cost of a Speedweek entry, you can buy 200 shares.  If we all do, we can buy in to become a voice for racers within the company itself and you have access to the stockholders report.
Hold your enemies close, your friends closer, and your corporate holdings by the balls.

Chris,

According to this, their stock is a buy!!!!!

Tom G.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/intrepid-potash-ipi-stock-undervalued-131001170.html
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline thefrenchowl

« Reply #322 on: August 26, 2019, 02:07:59 PM »
On our departure, Thursday afternoon, Don Campo (""race engineer"" here) and meself wanted a nice memory shot next to the historic sign...

It was already gone and we were greeted by little stumps sticking out of the block

This bland one was put on the other side...

Photo by Linda's daughter...

Linda's retiring as well, we kissed her farewell and still hope to see her if we ever return...

Patrick
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 02:11:36 PM by thefrenchowl »
Flat Head Forever

...What exactly are we trying to do here?...

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #323 on: August 26, 2019, 06:09:34 PM »
Speaking of SpeedWeek stuff that's got forgot -- Salt Talks t-shirts are available.  You can see the art on the home page of this site.  I made a batch and sold some at the salt and have more to sell.  I use the proceeds to keep the site going so dig deep, please.

Here's what I'll do:  Shirts are $20 each.  I have sizes M - L - XL - 2XL.  Probably no more than 10-15 of any size, so be ready for me to say that I don't have any remaining in your size*.  I can cram 3 or 4 shirts into a single Priority mail envelope so shipping is about $8 per 3 or 4 shirts.  I might be able to make a simple order button, but you're welcome to PM/email and I'll get started.  Payment by Payoal on the buttons on the site is fine, and I'll also take Apple Pay or checks or cash.

* Yes, I can make more since I do them in my shop, but I'd have to order more blank shirts, and to make that work I'll wait 'til there's a quantity of 'em that I need to get.

Want some previous-year shirts?  $10 each and all I'll promise is to ship the right size - you'll get the first one that I dig out of the stack of that size.  But the purchase will help me get a few bucks back from previous years.

Thanks! :clap :clap
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #324 on: August 26, 2019, 06:13:10 PM »
I want to know if BLM gave the other organizations who have sanctioned races at Bonneville a chance to own the sign. What "right" does SCTA have to the sign? Was BMST given the chance to own the sign? Was USFRA asked if they wanted the sign? What about the other event organizers who have events there? There are dozens.

It just seems like incredible ignorance of the BLM to take down the sign with no notice.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #325 on: August 26, 2019, 07:49:31 PM »
I applaud them for getting rid of the graffiti.

(And i ain't usually on their side.)
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #326 on: August 26, 2019, 08:07:36 PM »
Speaking of SpeedWeek stuff that's got forgot -- Salt Talks t-shirts are available.  You can see the art on the home page of this site.  I made a batch and sold some at the salt and have more to sell.  I use the proceeds to keep the site going so dig deep, please.

Here's what I'll do:  Shirts are $20 each.  I have sizes M - L - XL - 2XL.  Probably no more than 10-15 of any size, so be ready for me to say that I don't have any remaining in your size*.  I can cram 3 or 4 shirts into a single Priority mail envelope so shipping is about $8 per 3 or 4 shirts.  I might be able to make a simple order button, but you're welcome to PM/email and I'll get started.  Payment by Payoal on the buttons on the site is fine, and I'll also take Apple Pay or checks or cash.

* Yes, I can make more since I do them in my shop, but I'd have to order more blank shirts, and to make that work I'll wait 'til there's a quantity of 'em that I need to get.

Want some previous-year shirts?  $10 each and all I'll promise is to ship the right size - you'll get the first one that I dig out of the stack of that size.  But the purchase will help me get a few bucks back from previous years.

Thanks! :clap :clap

Jon I am good for 2 XLs.
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #327 on: August 26, 2019, 10:24:23 PM »
What about the other event organizers who have events there? There are dozens.

Dozens?

*  SCTA
*  BMST
*  USFRA
*  Mike Cook

That is it.  Not "dozens".
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline jl222

« Reply #328 on: August 26, 2019, 10:29:59 PM »
I want to know if BLM gave the other organizations who have sanctioned races at Bonneville a chance to own the sign. What "right" does SCTA have to the sign? Was BMST given the chance to own the sign? Was USFRA asked if they wanted the sign? What about the other event organizers who have events there? There are dozens.

It just seems like incredible ignorance of the BLM to take down the sign with no notice.

Don

SCTA/BNI has the most racers and spectators and two races a year.

JL222

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #329 on: August 27, 2019, 12:49:16 AM »
Yes dozens! Don't be so narrow minded to think we are the only ones using the BSF. There are rocketry events, archery events, flight events, several commercial filming events, movies, etc. SCTA's Speedweek may be the biggest attendance, but that does not mean they own the salt flats. BLM said they are donating the sign to the Land Speed Racing Museum. Where's that?

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer