Author Topic: SpeedWeek 2019  (Read 155975 times)

Offline kiwi belly tank

Re: SpeedWeek 2019
« Reply #300 on: August 25, 2019, 09:13:45 AM »
I grew sick of trying to educate the naysayers who were & still are too stupid to get the reality of whats happening with Bonneville that I gave up trying.
  Sid.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #301 on: August 25, 2019, 10:15:13 AM »
I grew sick of trying to educate the naysayers who were & still are too stupid to get the reality of whats happening with Bonneville that I gave up trying.
  Sid.

Sid,

Believe me, I "GET IT".   I also find it supremely difficult to reason with the "unreasonable", and so I tend to avoid interaction with those who maintain "closed minds".

As I've aged, my "fire has diminished" and my tolerance for "stupidy" has mostly disappeared.     And I also find that my blood pressure and overall cardiac condition is enhanced when dealing with Homo Sapiens as opposed to Homo Stultus or even Homo Ignoramus.

BUT, every once in a great while, a vague wisp of the "old Mark" emerges, the firebrand on a mission with a defined target.   It's foolish to place yourself in the target zone of a locked and loaded Warthog, especially when the driver is willing to pull the trigger.    I might not win the war with "stupidy" by myself, but I am determined to force naysayers to acknowledge that a differing point of view, based on data, does exist.

The battle to "fight the good fight" goes on . . . . . . mostly as an homage to my father, and as an example for my children . . . . .

Sid, any day you do the right thing is a good day.

:cheers:
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #302 on: August 25, 2019, 10:34:22 AM »
One wack with a ruler across the knuckles for every grammar error, Mark.

John

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #303 on: August 25, 2019, 12:28:52 PM »
Upon arriving on the salt this year i was shocked on how much lower the salt was at lands end compared to the three previous years I have driven off this same location. To get onto the salt this year it was well over two feet lower and probably even more. Gee i wonder where has that material gone. Saturday morning during the drivers meeting the Save The Salt rep spoke telling the crowd what they have been working on one item that was of great interest was the ongoing negotiation with Intrepid to stop the mining entirely on the Bonneville Salt Flats. Well the crowd of course cheered and clapped upon hearing this. Seems like a good idea to stop mining from a business sense.  Since theres little material left to remove and doing so is costing more to extract with so little return in profit why not look like the good guys and stop mining all together.  Last years surface was great to run on however it was no more than one inch thick.  When i went way down to the eighth mile on the long coarse last year it was sad to see what was actual there.  This year I wouldn't even try going down that far to look not that it was allowed anyway!
 Ronnieroadster
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #304 on: August 25, 2019, 01:50:33 PM »
If javajoe thinks the problem with the salt is trailers and cars removing it he must be a congressman receiving re-election campaign money from Intrepid. That's like saying the beaches are erroding because people are taking it home on their bare feet..
I guess you glazed over me mentioning inrepid and morton too huh?
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline desotoman

« Reply #305 on: August 25, 2019, 02:33:09 PM »
Saturday morning during the drivers meeting the Save The Salt rep spoke telling the crowd what they have been working on one item that was of great interest was the ongoing negotiation with Intrepid to stop the mining entirely on the Bonneville Salt Flats. Well the crowd of course cheered and clapped upon hearing this. Seems like a good idea to stop mining from a business sense.  Since theres little material left to remove and doing so is costing more to extract with so little return in profit why not look like the good guys and stop mining all together.
 Ronnieroadster

Ronnieroadster,

At the drivers meeting I thought I also heard that some of the 5 million was going to go to a new settling pond for Intrepid, so they could return more brine at a higher percentage back to the salt. So in my opinion it would seem like they are not going to stop the mining. But we can still wish.

Like someone has already said. We need a very wealthy person or company who is interested in saving Bonneville, to purchase the mining rights from Intrepid, or bid more to the BLM than Intrepid when the lease is up. If in fact it goes out to bid. Some company like Facebook, Google, or Amazon could do it, or even a celebrity as I am sure they could use a right off on their taxes. We just need to find them.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #306 on: August 25, 2019, 02:47:52 PM »
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline gnomenator

« Reply #307 on: August 25, 2019, 03:34:36 PM »
ok so where can I get my hands on some of those 'Make Bonneville Great' hats? I vend at the Portland ,Or swap meet every year and you'd be amazed at how many hats I sell during the 3 days! (Summit,Jegs, etc) But I think we could spread more info around with these things! This is probably one of the largest swap meets in this area and there is NOT a 'non-gearhead' in the crowd !A  couple years ago, I distributed flyers about the plight of Bonneville and passed out 200 and had to print more, so there is an audience and many were very shocked to learn of conditions. I'm not looking to profit from selling these, so I would sell at cost! Let me know, because up in this part of the woods, we don't have many businesses that can do this, but I'm still checking! Thanks and let's keep the pressure ON! :clap :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #308 on: August 25, 2019, 04:05:38 PM »
Check with Rick Vesco. I think I heard that the hats were available in the Team Vesco pit.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline gnomenator

« Reply #309 on: August 25, 2019, 04:13:28 PM »
Thanks SSS, I will contact them this week or maybe they'll show up at WOS again. That would be super! :cheers:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #310 on: August 26, 2019, 07:46:19 AM »

Like someone has already said. We need a very wealthy person or company who is interested in saving Bonneville, to purchase the mining rights from Intrepid, or bid more to the BLM than Intrepid when the lease is up. If in fact it goes out to bid. Some company like Facebook, Google, or Amazon could do it, or even a celebrity as I am sure they could use a right off on their taxes. We just need to find them.

Tom G.

Or consider this. 
This morning, Intrepid is trading at 2.88 per share. 
For the cost of a Speedweek entry, you can buy 200 shares.  If we all do, we can buy in to become a voice for racers within the company itself and you have access to the stockholders report.
Hold your enemies close, your friends closer, and your corporate holdings by the balls.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #311 on: August 26, 2019, 08:04:22 AM »

Tom G.

Or consider this. 
This morning, Intrepid is trading at 2.88 per share. 
For the cost of a Speedweek entry, you can buy 200 shares.  If we all do, we can buy in to become a voice for racers within the company itself and you have access to the stockholders report.
Hold your enemies close, your friends closer, and your corporate holdings by the balls.

UUhhmm . . . . . .

A/   Wealthy billionaire environmentalist:   Why YES!  Yes of course.   But can one be found?    I wonder.    Seems to me most billionaires acquire their wealth "raping" the environment.    At least historically . . . . . 
:wink:

2/   The "buy their stock" idea:   Yes again.    At the very least you get access to their "private propaganda" . . . . .

d/   "and your corporate holdings by the balls."     Eewww.    Just eeww.     NORMALLY, I'd be quick to agree with Chris.    BUT, I just don't want even the idea in my head . . . . . .

1drink
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline gowing

« Reply #312 on: August 26, 2019, 11:04:01 AM »
I heard that at the end of speedweek, the BLM chopped down the sign at the boat ramp
and gave it to the SCTA .
Without replacing it!   :roll:
 Seriously,  Why couldn't that have waited until after racing season was over?

Think of all of the BMST and WOS racers and fans who would have loved to have gotten a pic
with the sign.

It's pretty much a self involved acura-hole move as far as I can tell. 
Let's do it because we want to, and not worry about taking everyone else into consideration,

I heard that a couple of BMST motorcycle racers rigged up a "replacement" sign.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 11:10:53 AM by gowing »

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #313 on: August 26, 2019, 11:07:26 AM »
The BLM has stated that they are replacing the sign.  Someone one Facebook asked why the sign wasn't given to the Bonneville museum.  Whoever is running the BLM-Utah page wasn't aware of a museum.  Of course, there isn't one, yet.  Erin Hunter-Sills was involved in making the temporary replacement sign.
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #314 on: August 26, 2019, 11:10:52 AM »

These pics are the ones that were on FB, I think -- but I got them via Betty Burkland. I'll see if I can dig back and get the story that accompanied them.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com