Author Topic: SpeedWeek 2019  (Read 155946 times)

Offline racergeo

Re: SpeedWeek 2019
« Reply #285 on: August 22, 2019, 10:27:15 PM »
   There were a lot of spectators that stayed around after the weekend. With only one track for most of the cars to run on (except for those testing) it would have been boring watching 80 mph motor cycles and all of the cars that "bagged" there run at the 1 mile because the track was to rough. It's kind of like NHRA that empties the stands till the TFD and Funnys run. I was there to see the 6 or 7 cars that I expected to go over 400. Speed Demon was the big show and I'm glad they let it run.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #286 on: August 23, 2019, 04:56:25 AM »
Dawn on Friday morning was magical and the return run atmosphere was great. Lots of 'Impound' calls too.

We left as much salt as we could but the big rental truck seemed to have lots of nooks and crannies and it was the thick end of $20 in quarters before we returned it to SLC airport.

In terms of salt losses - I felt sorry for the guy at the Garter who seemed to be vacuuming the corridors full time.
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #287 on: August 23, 2019, 07:44:21 AM »
In terms of salt losses - I felt sorry for the guy at the Garter who seemed to be vacuuming the corridors full time.
The Garter hired a cleaning staff?
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #288 on: August 23, 2019, 10:25:27 AM »
I understand that any car like speed demon isn't as simple to send down the course as most are. If they are in the normal line and need to pull over near the front to prep the car then I am ok with that. ...

There was a push to let the 300+ mph cars have a 'kind of go to the head of the line' a few years back and I was in support of that.  You start running a car that fast and it isn't as simple as just move up in line and run.  Very few are going to make more than one run a day as it is. I had no problem at all with them doing it and still don't.  There aren't that many over 300 mph cars running and they provided some of the best long term memories of runs on the salt for me.  Give them a break and enjoy watching history,

Sumner
Agreed. I wouldn't have an issue with it either.
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #289 on: August 23, 2019, 04:18:16 PM »
If javajoe thinks the problem with the salt is trailers and cars removing it he must be a congressman receiving re-election campaign money from Intrepid. That's like saying the beaches are erroding because people are taking it home on their bare feet..
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #290 on: August 23, 2019, 04:32:09 PM »
I admit it -- I took (about) 50# of salt home with me on the truck.  I took the truck to the local car wash with real brushes and had them gently hose and dig and pick and pry what they could get easily.  I gave 'em an extra ten - they'd never seen anything like the salt.  Of course, with that tip and the memorable salt -- I'll get great service from now on.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #291 on: August 23, 2019, 08:13:57 PM »
I gotta agreed with JD.  Once a year we shlep a small quantity of salt off.  Lots of it falls down on the way to town to be recycled.  How does what we do once a year compare to the railcars leaving?  I don't know.  And you don't either.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #292 on: August 23, 2019, 08:18:45 PM »
As usual I made it home with about a pound or so of salt.... My powered weed sprayer and 20 gallons of water took care of most of it on the truck, another 10 got the golf cart and trailer. 
My guess is those rail cars hold 50-75 tons.... each.... so the 20 or so I saw probably haul a lot more than me and Slim... and our children.... and grandchildren ...and great grandchildren ... and great great grandchildren ... and great great great grandchildren..... Well the next 10 generations if they get to race that long on the Bonneville Dry Lake.... salt or dirt.... whatever is left when the strip mining is finished
 :dhorse:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #293 on: August 23, 2019, 08:28:21 PM »
per Google - railroad gravity discharge hopper car holds approximately 3500 cubic feet. Google lists salt at 80 lbs per cubic foot. Equates to 280,000 lbs. About 140 short tons per car. 

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #294 on: August 23, 2019, 09:23:29 PM »
Why do the tons come up short?  That stuff is sticky.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #295 on: August 23, 2019, 11:27:43 PM »
Following in your footsteps  :evil:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #296 on: August 23, 2019, 11:30:42 PM »
  No,no, You just don't get it Stan.  The "short" is the count of the tonnage removed by Intrepid (with a lot of help from the BLM accounting department).                         "One Run", out......................................................
Bob Drury

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #297 on: August 24, 2019, 09:06:28 AM »
The rail cars are marked with load weights/limits, and commonly you'll find the cars marked as gross weight of about 220,000# and light weight - tare - about 55-60,000#.  Round it up and down and back and forth - and each car carries around 70-80 tons of freight.

Up here the iron mining trains are about 60 cars long - long distance trains are more like 100 cars.

Enough data for now.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline gofast

« Reply #298 on: August 24, 2019, 05:59:27 PM »
I'll bet Marcia never took the coupe out in winter because there was too much salt on the roads in Maine.
But that is cold winter driving. This is Bonneville!!
Bonneville is proof that God loves us and wants us to go fast.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #299 on: August 25, 2019, 08:23:06 AM »
The rail cars are marked with load weights/limits, and commonly you'll find the cars marked as gross weight of about 220,000# and light weight - tare - about 55-60,000#.  Round it up and down and back and forth - and each car carries around 70-80 tons of freight.

Up here the iron mining trains are about 60 cars long - long distance trains are more like 100 cars.

Enough data for now.

Does any of this really matter when the long term "supply" of rail cars is: "endless"? ?

The salient issue is that:  Mining, of any type, is an "extractive" industry.    The resource is REMOVED, never to be seen again at its' original location.    And, even if the "resource" has the appearance of being "historically endless", modern computational methods can now PROVE that any planetary resource is FINITE.

And for those who "disagree" with my "assessment" of the situation, I respectfully suggest this:

A/    Check up on the current number of Redwood trees left standing, both regular and Giant, Vs the "historical number".    Go back at least 100 years . . . . . .
2/    Dig up some data on species extinction, say the number of species gone extinct in say, the 20th century.    Has anyone seen a Passenger Pigeon lately?    Where might Homo Sapiens be on that list? ?
d/    Check up on the Amazon Rainforest fires.    Think we don't need the world's most diverse ecosystem? ?    Yeah, oxygen is so . . . . . over-rated . . . . .

Our "race" is "done".    My concern is for our children and grandchildren, etc.    This is their "reality":

As usual I made it home with about a pound or so of salt.... My powered weed sprayer and 20 gallons of water took care of most of it on the truck, another 10 got the golf cart and trailer. 
My guess is those rail cars hold 50-75 tons.... each.... so the 20 or so I saw probably haul a lot more than me and Slim... and our children.... and grandchildren ...and great grandchildren ... and great great grandchildren ... and great great great grandchildren..... Well the next 10 generations if they get to race that long on the Bonneville Dry Lake.... salt or dirt.... whatever is left when the strip mining is finished
 :dhorse:

I realize most of you guys get this.    Thanks for letting me vent . . . . . .

Hey Slim, check my grammar and punctuation.   Just as a favor to Sister Justilla . . . . . :wink:

:dhorse:  :dhorse:  :dhorse:
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein