Author Topic: SpeedWeek 2019  (Read 155949 times)

Offline Lemming Motors

Re: SpeedWeek 2019
« Reply #270 on: August 21, 2019, 08:27:46 AM »
I know the conditions were not great for racers but for a scoping visit in anticipation of being a rookie in the near future we had a wonderful time. Met some great people (i.e. everyone we met). Chatted to tech, got a logbook and a race number, spent time at VP Fuels, found the laundromat - all the things that would add to the stress trying to unravel them as a rookie. We flew in via LA and went to he Petersen - talk about jammy timing (see pic).

A real shame Geoff's car didn't do a run but spending time in his pits, watching tech, meeting folks was a treat.
Hearing it fire on nitro for the first time was awesome though a little eye watering.

Bought a couple of Salt Talks tees (thanks Slim) but lost a Lemming Motors one in the process - Ross P - you know who you are. I took mine off to size one of Slims and Ross trousered it - to be fair he paid me $20 but I also got a $2 note out of him (never seen one before) so I will consider that the fee for the sweat on the tee that he acquired. Additional sweat could be made available for a similar fee  :-D

The steering rack (thanks Rex) got the once over at security in SLC airport and is now safely home.

Thanks everyone for making us feel welcome and answering the naive questions.

John and Steve  :cheers:
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #271 on: August 21, 2019, 08:38:48 AM »
I was at about the 3 1/8 for the event.  The Speed Demon made two runs the first day.  First of those was the E motor tuned with lots of boost and power available.  The run sounded like the car often does -- kinda sputtering and shooting ducks a little bit.  The engine was running fine but the course was so funky the the various sensors and MoTeCs and everything were fighting to keep some semblance of acceleration.  The last mile (we didn't have an exit speed trap this year) was a 332. 

A few hours later George and team made another run, this time evidently with the power dialed way down.  The car sounded very smooth as it passed -- and ran a 300.

I think it was the next morning that a bearing spun in the little motor.  The team went to the pits and installed the AA (new class for the car) bullet.  The car made one run with the big engine on Thursday (I think it was) and turned that 369, which cemented its chances of the big trophy. 

The car stayed, shrouded, in the pits until racing ended Thursday afternoon.

Edit:  WHERE THE HECK DID THOSE EMOJI THINGS COME FROM, MR. WEB ELF BOB???
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #272 on: August 21, 2019, 12:05:11 PM »
Pedantry: Speed Demon made three 300+mph runs (two on 13 and one on 15 August).  According to the results posted on the SCTA-BNI web site, anyway.

Arguably the most interesting fast runs were Salt Shark's 288mph and 290mph in BGS/B.  New-ish car, extraordinary shape and front wheel drive (I think).  clap
You are right. Sorry I missed that 0.6mph milestone. In retrospect I was aware they had pulled up for a second run Tuesday as I was in line with 400 or so other folks waiting for our first (and the vast majority didn't make one then or Wednesday either).  I heard some not so subtle comments that considering the circumstances that this wasn't exactly fair.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #273 on: August 21, 2019, 12:07:43 PM »
I heard some not so subtle comments that considering the circumstances that this wasn't exactly fair.

I was probably saying something similar after their second pass on the first day...
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #274 on: August 21, 2019, 12:23:41 PM »
The 300 mph line allows one pass a day.  Perhaps the Speed Demon was in the regular line for the first run and the 300 line for the other -- nothing unfair with that.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #275 on: August 21, 2019, 12:29:46 PM »
The 300 mph line allows one pass a day.  Perhaps the Speed Demon was in the regular line for the first run and the 300 line for the other -- nothing unfair with that.

That is the exact story that I heard.
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline deepindebt

« Reply #276 on: August 21, 2019, 12:51:25 PM »
I bet being a Golden sponsor doesn't hurt either.Not knocking a guy for his success,my next go around Im going to pay more attention to that teachn lady!!!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 08:05:28 PM by deepindebt »
327,B/GR

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #277 on: August 21, 2019, 01:08:04 PM »
Possibly so but they were off to the side the entire time, not in the regular line. The rest of us have to be ready to run when we get to the front, no sitting off to the side and pull in whenever we feel like it. But if the first run was "regular" and the second "300 line", OK. I did see ( I assume, was wearing the T shirt)  Shane T with computer attached trying to figure out something, start car etc, while off to the side.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
« Reply #278 on: August 21, 2019, 02:04:38 PM »
Jacksoni:  Congratulations on setting the fastest record at Speedweek 2019!  Having made a licensing pass down to the 4, I can testify there was nothing "lowly" about your effort.  That course was not for the faint of heart!

Jeff in Boise
------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556

Offline desotoman

« Reply #279 on: August 21, 2019, 02:30:56 PM »

That is true. But I remember hearing that for the first day, there would not be a 300mph lane because of the long lines.

If you type the word R U N the emoji on crutches shows up.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #280 on: August 21, 2019, 02:36:17 PM »

Arguably the most interesting fast runs were Salt Shark's 288mph and 290mph in BGS/B.  New-ish car, extraordinary shape and front wheel drive (I think).  clap

IMO they were the best r u n s of the week.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #281 on: August 21, 2019, 04:08:07 PM »
Those emojis are annoying ? almost as annoying as the constantly scrambled punctuation marks.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #282 on: August 22, 2019, 09:52:36 AM »
 I understand that any car like speed demon isn't as simple to send down the course as most are. If they are in the normal line and need to pull over near the front to prep the car then I am ok with that.

I remember hearing someone complain over the CB about speed demon getting a 2nd run when most people hadn't had even one run yet. Then I believe Slim said "reference the rule book" and then someone said "too dumb to read"

I got plenty of laughs out of the commentary on the stream so thanks for that Slim and co.
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #283 on: August 22, 2019, 10:10:55 AM »
To bad so much salt material is gone if it was thicker the water table would be further below.

On that note... This year more than ever I noticed how much salt was leaving the flats stuck to cars, trucks and trailers. Seems like even if the mining stopped completely, intrepid, morton etc... Just the fact that cars drive out there and take salt with them every day seems like we'll keep losing that battle. Seems like we need a permanent and mandatory wash station at the end of the road plus everyone should scrape down their cars before leaving.
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #284 on: August 22, 2019, 01:32:57 PM »
I understand that any car like speed demon isn't as simple to send down the course as most are. If they are in the normal line and need to pull over near the front to prep the car then I am ok with that. ...

There was a push to let the 300+ mph cars have a 'kind of go to the head of the line' a few years back and I was in support of that.  You start running a car that fast and it isn't as simple as just move up in line and run.  Very few are going to make more than one run a day as it is. I had no problem at all with them doing it and still don't.  There aren't that many over 300 mph cars running and they provided some of the best long term memories of runs on the salt for me.  Give them a break and enjoy watching history,

Sumner