Author Topic: UK motorcycle streamliner  (Read 9257 times)

Offline comet

Re: UK motorcycle streamliner
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2019, 09:46:50 AM »
Those Buddfab guys did really well. Was that 2006? 2008? I cant remember, it was my first or very early visit to the salt I think.
I look forward to watching your build progress and wish you fantastically good luck Neandethal. It should be a lot of fun along the way.  :cheers:

best wishes from down in Kent

John

Offline thefrenchowl

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2019, 10:18:55 AM »
Neandethal: Do I know you Patrick? or should I ?

Dunno!!! I suppose not!!!

Anyway, as I said, best of luck.

Patrick
Flat Head Forever

...What exactly are we trying to do here?...

Offline neandethal

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2019, 12:09:15 PM »
Tomorrow i am off to see KS Composites, as UK firm that does carbon fibre and fibreglass stuff for both F1 teams and rally teams. Hopefully, they will share the wisdom of how to apply the final layers/coats of fibreglass, and then the separating away from the former. its going to be interesting but i guess i will use a dremel or similar with a fine wheel to cut it off in sections, including the access canopy.

Offline neandethal

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2019, 03:45:31 PM »
All hasnt gone smoothly, the first fibreglass layer was just fine, but they undersupplied catalyst which i didnt realise so gelcoat took 3 days to set off and still isnt great, will apply another high catalyst content one on top to give a hard shell before attempting to cut off in sections, but it does look moody!

Offline tauruck

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2019, 04:12:45 PM »
I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but you're in deep doo doo.
You are going to hate what's in store for you. I wish I'd seen this before you got going on the body work.

I feel for you brother but you need to pay the school fees on this one.

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2019, 10:42:11 PM »
Did you put gelcoat on top of the glass? You have to seal it to get gelcoat to dry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en-8SbhdF_k
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2019, 04:58:22 AM »
I am no fibreglass expert but have built my own kayak with the stuff and rebuilt two f'glass bodied cars and done lots of kayak / canoe repairs; I was advised that, if using Polyester resins, they of the 2.5 - 5% Methyl Ethyl Ketone Peroxide (MEKP) catalyst, that the lovely smell is styrene fumes.

If you are doing a reverse layup (i.e. not in a mold) then when you have laid your last chop strand / cloth and wetted it out, when it goes like cheddar cheese (that state when you can slice the fringes with a Stanley knife without tearing the strands apart), then coat the entire thing in a skim of good body filler - the syrene bleeds through that as well and somehow you get a chemical bond (not just the usual mechanical one).

I tried using tissue aka veil (ultra fine chopped stand) on the rebuild of the Lotus door but that was ugly to use - it seem to lift with the brush when stippling the resin on as it wetted out and sort of went like candy floss in places - I 'bogged' over that before it was hard and had a really nice finish to sand down.  Didn't use veil but did do the cheesy bog step with the gravity racer.
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2019, 09:32:44 AM »
Cheesy bogg step is interesting. Never thought to do that but may give it a try on next fiberglass project. To lock down body filler, I used two layers of finishing matt.

John

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2019, 04:06:12 PM »
Experience has shown me that the body should be weighed before additional material is applied.  It is possible to fix everything on the finish so it looks good and the end result is too heavy. 

Offline neandethal

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2019, 03:24:07 AM »
the gelcoat has finally gone off but remains slightly tacky, guess the poorly catalysed layer is still influencing. yesterday we decided we would cut the body off in the panels we require and can then work on how to remount with dzus or similar. This will allow us to resolve retracting the stabilizers and best of all do coast down tests to determine the drag coefficient, the key number in my life.
Part of the mountainous learning process , would have me question if i should spend time smoothing out this body with filler and use it as the male buck to make traditional moulds, up for review.
Have also been distracted by building a 100cc turbo charged sidecar for this year, and doing further mods to my 100cc M-VG bike of last year.

Offline neandethal

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2020, 07:30:32 AM »
Despite covid have been able to finally get back on the runway and this time got her moving under her own power and using the electronic gear change, too windy for bodywork or parachute deployment but great to be back on 2 wheels. more video footage on my website www.racetothesalt.com as file size too big to attach here.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2020, 09:01:14 AM »
Which runway, did you have it to yourself? How?

Hoping to start body work on Lakester in the next few weeks. Wish me luck.

John
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2020, 02:51:01 PM »
It's probably (what was) RAF Cottesmore.  muutt

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Cottesmore

Offline neandethal

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2020, 12:40:44 PM »
yep, its the old Cottesmore have military connections so get in under cover, public hire is about ?1000 for the whole day and to yourself, way too much for any regular use other than journalists, exotic car owner clubs and Guy Martin!

Offline neandethal

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2022, 01:54:36 PM »
Been a while but the streamliner progresses. I decided my fibreglass body wasn't good enough so entrusted the bike to a local coachbuilder to clothe it in aluminium.Very happy I made that decision. UK is holding s Speedweek equivalent in May 2023 and hope to use it for a shakedown run or 10!