Author Topic: UK motorcycle streamliner  (Read 9258 times)

Offline neandethal

UK motorcycle streamliner
« on: March 06, 2019, 11:29:41 AM »
Hi Folks,
Competed last year in the 100cc M-Vg class , and due back this year for the 100cc SC-BF/BG classes, whilst i build my streamliner, hopefully using the same motor.
I have build a prototype chassis to learn what works and what doesn't, including how to get it off the stabilizers and stay on 2 wheels! Just ordered the parachute braking system and still loads to do, but not planning on running it until 2020 earliest. My good friend Anders Jonsson has shared lots of good information and shortened my learning curve. Anyway just a few photos, i have access to a 1.7 mile runway to play on, and we have done towing trials up to 70 mph, and now i have covered the bike in papier mache, before plastering and laying on the fibreglass to complete the body. Constructive comments always welcomed.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 11:31:35 AM by neandethal »

Offline Lemming Motors

Re: UK motorcycle streamliner
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 11:49:37 AM »
Whereabouts in the UK are you?

I like the papier mache approach. My last f'glass body was a gravity racer using polysyrene foam wrapped in kitchen film to protect against the resin, ouward layup and filler to finish.

I will be interested to see your body work develop and if it less finishing work than I had to do on the gravity beast - my Lakester will be a much bigger proposition so anything to reduce the labour.

John
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline ProjectROTM

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 11:55:51 AM »
Hi Neandethal,

Welcome. What engine are you using?

I am also keen to know where in the UK you are based. Mainly to find out what i would have to do to get access to your 1.7mile runway for testing  :-D.

Christian

Offline neandethal

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 12:35:08 PM »
I'm base just outside Oakham, Rutland
Sorry, the runway is MOD property and i have spent years achieving access and even Trevor Duckworth of Straighliners fame has failed to soften their view on extending it. It's a favour due to all the charity work i have done, and even then still isn't cheap.

I have used North Luffenham, but last time out, had my collar felt by the military police - Oops! I am trying to find other venues, as even my access is limited.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 01:28:41 PM »
"... had my collar felt by the military police ..."

What a lovely turn of the phrase. :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 02:20:21 PM »
I am liking this project.  Several years ago I was very in love with the little Triumph Terrier and Tiger Cub motor bikes.  I intended to build a streamliner at some point.  It is still on my bucket list.
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Online 7707

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 05:54:25 PM »
"... had my collar felt by the military police ..."

What a lovely turn of the phrase. :cheers:

English humour..lol. But in long forgotten days when a police officer could apprehend a person here in the UK the term ‘had my collar felt’ means the police officer physically had you by the collar. Now of course the police dare not touch you as the villain may well scream ‘you are infringing my human rights’ !!!!
Current class record holder (A/BFRMR) at 258.679mph and i?m Just trying to go fast!

Look for our Facebook page ...  Geoff Stilwell

Offline neandethal

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 06:28:38 PM »
I find it amusing also, as my youngest daughter is a proper police officer.
The engine will be a 100cc turbo charged unit, using Italian TRTeam 2FAST cylinder kit, Borg Warner turbo and Swedish Boostbusters technology , and hopefully making close to 50 bhp.
So drag coefficient is everything. Would like to challenge the Buddfab FIM record of 151mph, but let's not get ahead of myself, need to get to the salt with it first!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 07:30:45 PM »
English humour..lol. But in long forgotten days when a police officer could apprehend a person here in the UK the term ‘had my collar felt’ means the police officer physically had you by the collar.

Oh, yes, I got the literal and the humourous translations on inspection - and thought I'd encourage more by offering recognition. 8-)
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2019, 07:47:37 PM »
I thought you were just nicked and then they confiscate your gudgeon pin!  :roll:  :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2019, 08:04:52 PM »
Getting a Buddfab record is quite a goal.  It's been a long time since that name appeared on this forum, but their exploits certainly would enjoy a replay – both at El Mirage and Bonneville.  I'm not the one to do that – but I would appreciate it if someone else would.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2019, 11:52:43 PM »
Was the Buddfab the little liner where the rider rode laying down with their head at the front?

Offline neandethal

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2019, 02:49:21 AM »
Like most streamliner pilots, i hope that the engine bay is modular and can then be used over a number of years to swap ou different engine to challenge a number of records. I quite fancy the 1956 NSU record for 100cc S- BG, that's not been broken in too long!

Offline thefrenchowl

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2019, 06:02:53 AM »
Yes, Buddfab will be a tough nut to crack, that small team was focused at 200% all the time.

Their aero package was also top of the hill...

Their power to speed ratio was just unreal, whatever engine size they choose to run on the day...

So good luck to you, Neandethal, from that guy in Cheshire!!!

Patrick
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 06:05:05 AM by thefrenchowl »
Flat Head Forever

...What exactly are we trying to do here?...

Offline neandethal

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2019, 08:41:10 AM »
Do I know you Patrick? or should I ?