Author Topic: ONE MORE TIME RACERS, ONE MORE LETTER FOR THE SALT  (Read 2899 times)

velocity

ONE MORE TIME RACERS, ONE MORE LETTER FOR THE SALT
« on: March 01, 2019, 03:59:31 AM »
UPDATE MARCH 4TH: Please Stop UTAH Avalanche!!!  Land Speed Racers and all who hope to see the Bonneville Salt Flats restored to safe racing conditions, please stop writing letters to the Utah legislators.

Word came down late Monday from the Save the Salt lobbyist in Salt Lake City asking, “Please, absolutely no more push for emails. If we could stop them all, right now, I would. Mission accomplished on emails. More emails will be counter-productive at this point.”

So thanks, but stop folks. Please let the legislators and their staff regain control of their “in boxes” in Utah. They got the message.

I AM SO VERY PROUD OF ALL OF YOU WHO STEPPED UP AND WROTE A NOTE! -- LANDSPEED LOUISE

The effort to save the Bonneville Salt Flats has gained initial support with the State of Utah when it ranked our “Restore Bonneville” program 4 out of 28 for funding through its Fiscal Year 2020 budget. Now the Executive Appropriations Committee needs to hear from you AS SOON AS POSSIBLE to keep the funding request ranked high enough to move forward. A few minutes of your time WILL help us to get a much-needed win for the salt flats.

We respectfully request that you email a letter to Utah legislators listed below asking the State of Utah to fund a “Restore Bonneville” program. The letters with the most horsepower will come from Utah residents or USFRA members who race on the salt, (think blown fuel streamliner), with the next power-added group being ANY Utah resident (think blown fuel lakester) followed up with residents of any state that use, or visit the salt flats. However, even letters from people outside the USA will remind Committee Members that people come from all over the globe to race on the salt.

Instructions
Utah residents and/or Bonneville racers should note that in the Subject Line and the first line of their message. This helps legislators quickly recognize important emails. Sample letter is below the email addresses. Please add at least TWO of the talking points supplied below and feel free to personalize any way you wish. It would be helpful to send a copy of the letter to Save the Salt ( louise@savethesalt.org) to help us track how many supporters we have in this phase.    EVERY EMAIL MATTERS!

Example Subject Line:

I’m a UT resident, Please Support Funding for Bonneville
        OR
     I visit/race the Bonneville Salt Flats, Please Support Funding for Bonneville
       OR
     I’m a member of The Utah Salt Flats Racing Association asking that you PLEASE support funding for Bonneville.

Please cut and paste and email your letter to:

jwstevenson@le.utah.gov
Blast@le.utah.gov
dipson@le.utah.gov
jeffersonmoss@le.utah.gov
jsadams@le.utah.gov
lescamilla@le.utah.gov
dhemmert@le.utah.gov
jiwamoto@le.utah.gov
dkitchen@le.utah.gov
kmayne@le.utah.gov
amillner@le.utah.gov
evickers@le.utah.gov
fgibson@le.utah.gov
briansking@le.utah.gov
csmoss@le.utah.gov
angelaromero@le.utah.gov
mikeschultz@le.utah.gov
Bradwilson@le.utah.gov

Please personalize the message with your own involvement with Bonneville.  Below is a sample letter followed by potential talking points.  Feel free to incorporate as appropriate.

You can send an email or, better yet, include on letterhead and email as a PDF.

Sample letter

[Date]

Dear Appropriators:

(First line – who you are and why you are writing. . . . I’m a UT resident, I visit/race the Bonneville Salt Flats, I’m a member of The Utah Salt Flats Racing Association asking that you PLEASE support funding for Bonneville.)

In your capacity as a member of the Utah Executive Appropriations Committee, I am writing to support a request made by Rep. Steve Handy that Utah fund $5 million for a state “Restore Bonneville” program.  The money would leverage an additional $45 million from the federal government and approximately $2.5 million from the racing community.

The Restore Bonneville program would implement H.C.R. 8, a resolution sponsored by Rep. Handy and Sen. Peter Knudson in 2016 to support restoration of the Bonneville Salt Flats.  The resolution was unanimously passed by the Utah House and Senate and signed by Governor Herbert.

The Bonneville Salt Flats are an unique land formation that bring visitors from around the world to Utah.  For racers, the surface is unequaled. The hard salt crust is perfect for both speed and safety.

Bonneville is listed on the National Registry of Historic Places and deemed an Area of Critical Environmental Concern.  Until 1997, salt removed from Bonneville for potash processing under leases issued by the U.S. Bureau of Land Management (BLM) was not replaced.  Since that time, the mining company has pumped salt brine onto Bonneville.

The racing community represented by the Save the Salt Coalition, the Utah Alliance and the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) have worked with Utah lawmakers and regulators, including the U.S. Congressional delegation, along with the BLM and Intrepid Potash, Inc. to create the Restore Bonneville program. The program will dramatically increase the volume of salt being pumped onto the Bonneville Salt Flats by Intrepid from the current levels of 0.6 million tons/year or less to about 1.5 million tons/year.  As a result, the racing venue will gradually expand from its current length of about 8 miles toward with the goal of reaching the original 13-mile racing venue.

Thank you again for your support for restoring the Bonneville Salt Flats.

Sincerely,

[Name]

NOTE: Feel free to personalize the email.  For example, discuss how you have raced at Bonneville or been a spectator.  Mention how you and friends have traveled to Wendover, spent money on hotel rooms, airline tickets, etc.  Mention any additional time spent in Utah to visit Salt Lake City, Park City, Moab, Canyonlands, St. George, Zion, etc.  This translates into additional economic benefits for the state and local communities.

Sample Bonneville Salt Flats Talking Points

[Pick and choose, mix and match]

Many Bonneville racers and spectators come to Utah before or after the racing events to enjoy the spectacular beauty offered throughout the state, from Salt Lake City to the mountains, canyons and red rock country.The state and local communities benefit from the dollars spent in hotels, restaurants and other businesses.
When we come to race on the salt flats, many of us patronize businesses in the Salt Lake City area, buying parts and services to fix our race vehicles.  
I have raced at Bonneville since… [or] I have attended Speed Week since…. [relay personal information about the importance of Bonneville to you]
The future of land speed racing at the Bonneville Salt Flats is in jeopardy, as a decrease in the size and thickness of the flats has resulted in the cancellation of races and fewer international racers making the pilgrimage each year. The State of Utah must take the lead in restoring this legendary race venue!
The Salt Flats are a unique geologic formation, which has served as the backdrop for movies, commercials and photos, and is a magnet for tourists.  However, Bonneville is most well-known for its role in the history of motorsports, having served as a preeminent race venue until recent years.  
The salt flats are a national treasure and have been hallowed grounds for motorsports enthusiasts since 1914, when racers discovered that it was the perfect surface for keeping tires cool while setting land speed records.
While hundreds of records have been set and broken in a variety of automotive classes, the Bonneville Salt Flats are disappearing:
The surface crust is thinning, and the overall size of the Flats is shrinking.
What was once 13 miles of safe racing surface has been reduced to 8 miles or less due to the thinning of the surface crust.
According to 1997 U.S. Geological Survey report, the maximum salt-crust thickness had declined from 7 feet in 1960 to 5.5 feet in 1988.  Today, the current surface is measured in inches rather than feet.
Racing in two opposite directions within one hour as required for world records has been abandoned.
The beauty of Bonneville is also in jeopardy.
A major contributor to the decline was a decision by the BLM in the 1960s to issue mining leases allowing salt brine to be legally transferred off-site for potash extraction without returning some of the salt byproduct. While historic mining activities adjacent to the BSF have contributed to the diminishment of the salt crust, it is also part of the restoration solution:
From 1997 to 2002, the lease holder, with the approval of the BLM, created a salt brine program pumping an average of 1.2 million tons per year onto the salt flats.Studies following that pilot program confirm that the salt crust thickened and that the brine aquifer beneath the surface was also improved.
Thanks to the current mining company, a strong pumping program is still sending salt brine to the racing area.  However, the volume needs to be increased to overcome decades of neglect.
It is imperative that the State of Utah lead the way in helping to provide funding for the infrastructure upgrades needed to pump approximately 1.5 million tons a year for at least 10 years to restore the Bonneville Salt Flats.
Bonneville is hallowed grounds for racers around the world. Restoring this national treasure would send a powerful message to the racing community around the world: Bonneville is back and so is America.
It’s time to restore Bonneville before it’s too late!  Utah State Lawmakers need to hear from you.
Need more information?  
Contact Stuart Gosswein at  stuartg@sema.org
OR
Louise Ann Noeth at  louise@savethesalt.org
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 04:01:23 AM by velocity »

velocity

Re: ONE MORE TIME RACERS, ONE MORE LETTER FOR THE SALT
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 04:06:53 AM »
HERE IS MY LETTER TO THE UTAH LEGISLATORS, THIS IS MY VIEW, PLEASE GIVE THEM YOURS. . .TODAY!   NOW!

Subject: For the past 20 years I have heralded in print, film & radio, the extraordinary feats of ordinary people on the Bonneville Salt Flats as it withers away. Will you help it rise, or let it go to ruin?

Dear Appropriators:

My company, LandSpeed Productions, has a Creative Research and Development Agreement (CRADA) with the United States Air Force Academy that has helped, and would like to continue to help -- racers and cadets alike -- achieve grades and goals on Bonneville. As a member of The Utah Salt Flats Racing Association how could I NOT ask that you PLEASE support funding for Bonneville?

I am under contract with the University of Utah Press to chronicle the extraordinary accomplishments of ordinary people who turn dreams into reality — one speed run at a time on the Bonneville Salt Flats. In 2001, I was a team member of TEAMVesco’s Turbinator that was built and raced in Utah on the salt flats setting a 458MPH world record when the salt flats had a brief period of phenomenally good racing surface thanks to a fortified voluntary pumping program by Reilly Industries.

Rep. Steve Handy is asking that Utah fund $5 million for a state “Restore Bonneville” program which I am confident would leverage an additional $45 million from the federal government and approximately $2.5 million from the racing community - if not more. . .

In the past 25 years I have spent several weeks every year in Utah working on some writing, research, or photographic project. I ought to move there! For the past 4 years I have worked pro bono with Save the Salt Coalition members, and was founding member of the Utah Alliance, setting aside paying work because I recognized — through hundreds of research hours in Utah historical archives — the that land speed racing, America’s oldest amateur motorsport, was headed for extinction. How could something that took 11,000 years to create get so horrifically damaged in a little over 50 years? AND supposedly under Federal stewardship. Shameful. I knew my skill sets and acquired knowledge base could help. Walking away was not an option.  

Often I have written into newspaper and magazine articles that the Bonneville Salt Flats is a place every human being should have a chance to experience a sunrise to feel the ethereal quiet few other places on the planet provide. I tremble with gratitude every time I am there. For racers, the surface is America’s best bet to safely experiment with speed through science, technology, engineering and math.

It has taken the amateur racing community nearly 30 years to get this far — to make this request earnestly and honestly with equally committed partners -- knowing full well that without the help of the State of Utah this magnificent American playground is doomed.

Utah has a legacy in this land.

Utah can have a direct hand in its restoration.

Utah, will you not please help us?

With My Sincere Speedy Regards,

“LandSpeed” Louise Ann Noeth

« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 04:13:21 AM by velocity »

Offline Happy Pappy

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 08:55:38 PM »
Sent the first letter no problem this one wont send, get a Error pop-up...

An error occurred while sending your message. At least one recipient email address is not valid.

Chris
Chris Campbell
2017 #203 G/GR El mirage record 150.771
2020 #62 C/AIR El Mirage record 180.828
6/21 #62 C/AIR El Mirage record 185.488
9/21 #62 C/AIR El Mirage record 194.450

velocity

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 02:32:20 AM »
It seems there was a space too many with the list of legislators.

Please accept my apology if it caused you to be frustrated trying too help

Below is the list and it has been corrected on the STS website.

jwstevenson@le.utah.gov; Blast@le.utah.gov; dipson@le.utah.gov; jeffersonmoss@le.utah.gov; jsadams@le.utah.gov; lescamilla@le.utah.gov; dhemmert@le.utah.gov; jiwamoto@le.utah.gov; dkitchen@le.utah.gov; kmayne@le.utah.gov; amillner@le.utah.gov; evickers@le.utah.gov; fgibson@le.utah.gov; briansking@le.utah.gov; csmoss@le.utah.gov; angelaromero@le.utah.gov; mikeschultz@le.utah.gov; Bradwilson@le.utah.gov

Offline Happy Pappy

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 09:50:39 AM »
? No apology needed.. Just trying to do my part. Will try the new list. Thanks for the help.
Chris
Chris Campbell

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 11:11:59 AM »
Still can't send. A field appears with all copied and pasted addresses saying they are not good e-mail addresses.

John

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 11:22:52 AM »
I reused the addresses from the first email!  :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

velocity

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2019, 01:02:00 PM »
PLEASE NOTE

The addresses for the first email request are DIFFERENT for the second email request.

Performed a veracity test and all the addresses are correct.

Possible error comes if you select more than just the email addresses. You could be picking up extraneous code markers that when populated into the "to:" section light up an error with scraps of code. You must be precise in starting and stopping the selection process. Make sure the highlighted area only contains the email addresses, nothing else.
Hope this helps
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 01:10:14 PM by velocity »

Offline Happy Pappy

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2019, 04:15:19 PM »
Well I tried to copy and paste each address individually. left a space between each address & Still no go.

Chris
Chris Campbell

velocity

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2019, 05:17:27 PM »
Hhmmm

There should be a space between each address.

To work around the problem, I'd say try cut and pasting one email address at a time and see if that works. More work, but you will doubtless beat the computer at its own game.

velocity

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2019, 04:22:07 AM »
UPDATE MARCH 4TH: Please Stop UTAH Avalanche!!!  Land Speed Racers and all who hope to see the Bonneville Salt Flats restored to safe racing conditions, please stop writing letters to the Utah legislators.

Word came down late Monday from the Save the Salt lobbyist in Salt Lake City asking, “Please, absolutely no more push for emails. If we could stop them all, right now, I would. Mission accomplished on emails. More emails will be counter-productive at this point.”

So thanks, but stop folks. Please let the legislators and their staff regain control of their “in boxes” in Utah. They got the message.

I AM SO VERY PROUD OF ALL OF YOU WHO STEPPED UP AND WROTE A NOTE! -- LANDSPEED LOUISE