Author Topic: Lead Foot Special Lakester  (Read 3702 times)

Offline TWKundrat

• New folks
Lead Foot Special Lakester
« on: February 22, 2019, 12:00:35 AM »
Just wanted to get a thread started on our lakester build.  We've been going to El Mirage fairly regularly for the last decade and Bonneville a couple of times as spectators and finally decided we needed to get to work building something.  The plan is to run a Jimmy 6 in the XO lakester class.  We're calling our "club" the Lead Footers, hence the Lead Foot Special car name I just made up.  I haven't exactly been doing a very good job documenting the work so far but I'll add a couple of pictures of the progress we've made on the chassis.  Stay tuned for more!

-Tim

Offline handyguy

• BANTAM FOURPLAY
Re: Lead Foot Special Lakester
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 01:08:26 AM »
   AWESOME !!   I am so glad you guys have started . It's great to know there is another race team in Tucson . I have a couple of people in town that are the reason I have my car to run  , you are welcome to there names if you like .   STEVE  520 591 6318

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 01:16:09 PM »
Tim;

Greetings from SW of Tucson, just S of Three Points. Good luck with your build. We will be following your progress.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 02:54:26 PM »
. . . and Steve can inspect your work as you progress.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline tauruck

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 12:27:56 AM »
All the best guys. Mikey. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline TWKundrat

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 11:09:26 PM »
Hi Steve!  That would be nice to get in touch with your buddies in town.  It's always good to have some more local connections.  If you have some free time where you could stop by the shop again it would be helpful to be able to run some ideas by you.  I'll try to remember to give you a call during the day sometime soon.

Neil, if you ever want to come by and see what we're up to you're welcome to.  Do you have a vehicle that you run?

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 07:00:34 AM »
Excellent to see another Lakester in build.
I like that you went down the PVC waster pipe and duct tape route to model it too - that served me really well until I discovered it wouldnt pass tech and I had to use steel tube  :-D

What engine class are you aiming for?

John
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 11:14:59 AM »
Tim;

I'd like to stop by sometime to visit. I get into town on Thursdays but I have to go today as well to mail some UPS packages. My cell phone # is five two zero 784 3 one 32

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2019, 09:05:58 PM »
Welcome to lakesters... hopefully you are thinking of running 2 liter... we could have a good friendly competition going with several cars in that class one of these days. 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline TWKundrat

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 11:28:10 PM »
John,
I've heard stories of guys using painted pvc for their cages and actually passing tech (not SCTA, just their local drag strip).

Neil,
We are working on the car at my friend's house so I'll have to see if he'll be around Thursday.  I'll let you know before then.  Nice car by the way.  Now I see where your forum handle comes from.

As far as what engine we are running, we are going to run a GMC inline six in the XO class.  We have a 270 that we picked up for $50 just for mock up that was supposedly froze up.  As it turns out, it's actually in pretty good condition and we will probably run it to start.  The plan is to not dump too much time or money into it.  Just a fairly basic build to get us going.  Later on we can build a more serious race engine (probably a 302).
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 11:51:05 PM by TWKundrat »

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2019, 12:38:36 PM »
Thank, Tim. Look forward to meeting you.