Author Topic: Regarding Engine Rules in Production Class  (Read 2425 times)

Offline TexasSalt

• New folks
Regarding Engine Rules in Production Class
« on: February 13, 2019, 03:49:57 PM »
I’m getting ready to start building a Chevrolet Colorado for the PMP class but I’m worried I may be stopped before I get started.  I currently own a 2008 Colorado and want to run in the D class with a 4.8 LS.  Problem is the LS V8 wasn’t an option until the 2009-14 MY even though the body and chassis are  unchanged.  I’m getting lost in the translation between “model” and “model year”.  P90 of the 2017 rule book says a different displacement size of the same design engine may be used provided it does not constitute an Engine Swap (4N).  4N An engine swap is defined as the use of an engine from an engine design family that was not available as a factory or dealer-installed option for a given vehicle year.  

Anybody able to set me straight?  Am I lucky or unlucky? 

Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 04:39:11 PM by TexasSalt »

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: Regarding Engine Rules in Production Class
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 05:32:41 PM »
The vehicle in question was in production by Chevrolet from 2004 - 2012. The SCTA rules allow you to run the engine that was available for that vehicle during those years. Example: 1968 4th Gen Chevrolet Impala. Built between 1965 - 1970. Some of the engines available were a 250 inline 6, 283, 350, 409, & a 427 V8. Any of these are legal in Production Category.

Call your Colorado a 2009 (1st year with an LS) and have fun. The SCTA doesn't look at Vin numbers....

You can also send your question to the Chair person for the SCTA Modified committee for a official answer.   :-D
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 08:00:40 PM »
Production classes require the racer to provide proof of production status... so just gather data that shows a picture of a truck that looks identical to yours, with an LS engine... keep it with your log book.
Start building, be safe, have fun, go fast  8-)  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline TexasSalt

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 11:08:15 AM »
Thanks for the feedback and support!  Was at Speedweek last year and met many great people and saw some pretty fast cars!  Can’t go this year but hoping to see y’all 2020 with a Colorado  8-)