Author Topic: What material to use for a coolant tank?  (Read 11769 times)

Offline handyguy

• BANTAM FOURPLAY
Re: What material to use for a coolant tank?
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2019, 02:31:48 PM »
The pressure might have to do with air pockets ..   STEVE

Offline Paul P

« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2019, 03:08:16 PM »
I understand the argument that the pressure within the system helps with vapor/air pockets that may form in the high heat areas of the block. 

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2019, 03:39:06 PM »
We don't run any pressure in our system, but take water out of the engine in four places to lessen the chance that air is trapped.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2019, 01:10:45 AM »
on my old car I forgot to turn the pump on one time and a 8 ballooned the plaastic fuel tank I was using so bad it pushed a body panel off by ripping and tearing the .062 alum at the Dutz fasteners
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Paul P

« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2019, 10:57:15 AM »
on my old car I forgot to turn the pump on one time and a 8 ballooned the plaastic fuel tank I was using so bad it pushed a body panel off by ripping and tearing the .062 alum at the Dutz fasteners

That is the main reason I decided to run without pressure.  Trying to build closed system that could handle an over pressure situation (like a blown head gasket) is too complicated.  I am trying to keep things simple. If 25 gallons doesn't keep it cool I'll add more but most seem to think 25 will be more than enough.  I added a photo of the electric pump mounted on the tank before I installed it in the car.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2019, 01:21:25 PM »
PP the line from the radiator in a box is a 16, the storage tank is non pressurized with an 8 for a vent on my new system.  I have an alum tank much like yours a 12 for a vent and I have plans to add another 12
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Paul P

« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2019, 01:45:29 PM »
PP the line from the radiator in a box is a 16, the storage tank is non pressurized with an 8 for a vent on my new system.  I have an alum tank much like yours a 12 for a vent and I have plans to add another 12

As you can see on the top of my tank there are two 8AN fittings.  One is capped off (blue cap) and other has a red plastic cap on it while I get the hose made.  I could easily have two 8AN vents.  Are you adding another vent because you anticipate more flow than a single 12 could flow?  I could easily add another bulkhead through the floor of the car and add another vent.  Keep in mind I am still running a radiator so I can get a fast cool down between runs using the electric pump and the electric fan through the radiator. 

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2019, 02:42:22 PM »
I went back to check and may have over looked---How is the radiator and this tank plumbed?

Offline Paul P

« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2019, 08:51:00 AM »
I went back to check and may have over looked---How is the radiator and this tank plumbed?

From the electric pump on the tank, through the firewall to the mechanical pump on the motor, through motor to radiator, through radiator to tank, repeat.

I want to be able to cool the water between runs by running the electric pump on the tank and the electric fan on the radiator while the motor is not running.  I have already verified that the water will flow past the mechanical pump when it's not running. 

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2019, 10:36:00 AM »
Paul;

If you plumb it with aluminum hard line, its surface area will provide additional cooling.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2019, 10:48:19 AM »
If you have an ice cooler for the induction air presumably that gets drained and refilled bewteen runs - could that water go in the big resevoir tank and bring the engine coolant temp down a little faster?

I am designing with a pressurised radiator mounted in a non-pressurised tank of water acting as a heat sink.
That heat sink tank will probably have a circulating pump.
My expectation is that a drain outlet would be used to take off a few gallons after a run and replace that 'hot water' with the water from the intercooler which started as iced but even if it is all melted it will be colder than what came out of the radiator heat sink tank.

I am using the term intercooler loosely as I will be running naturally aspirated. That 'intercooler' is still on the drawing board.
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline Paul P

« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2019, 11:59:02 AM »
If you have an ice cooler for the induction air presumably that gets drained and refilled bewteen runs - could that water go in the big resevoir tank and bring the engine coolant temp down a little faster?

I am designing with a pressurised radiator mounted in a non-pressurised tank of water acting as a heat sink.
That heat sink tank will probably have a circulating pump.
My expectation is that a drain outlet would be used to take off a few gallons after a run and replace that 'hot water' with the water from the intercooler which started as iced but even if it is all melted it will be colder than what came out of the radiator heat sink tank.

I am using the term intercooler loosely as I will be running naturally aspirated. That 'intercooler' is still on the drawing board.

Yes I do have an intercooler for the turbo and I do plan to use that water if necessary to cool the tank water but I don't want to keep draining one tank to fill another.  My intercooler holds 12 gallons and draining and refilling it for every run is a pain in the neck.  I just want to keep things simple.