Author Topic: Poteet wins AMBR  (Read 8854 times)

Offline Stan Back

Re: Poteet wins AMBR
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2019, 06:46:40 PM »
. . . but now I will.

I met George about 15 years ago at the 6-1/2.  He strolled over and asked some reasonable and knowledgeable questions about our roadster.  We chatted for 5 or 10 minutes enjoying each other's company.  Then some loudmouth pulled up in a truck and told him to get in and quit wasting time.

I don't care how fast he went, how much money he's spent or whatever.  I just thought he was a real nice guy.  And I still do.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2019, 09:43:24 PM »
George is just an awesome guy! He is exceedingly generous.

Rob Freyvogel
AA/BFS
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline mc1984ss

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2019, 07:02:15 AM »
I have always be n a BBC fan and would love to see one in George's car. When I read that he might be putting one in the first thing I thought was, how is it going to fit? I thought I read that they had a tough time getting the LS to fit.

I would love to see it though!

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2019, 10:47:23 PM »
I think they already tested fitment and it should be no problem.
It’s engine compartment is bigger than ours and we run a BBC.
They will also be running a bigger (physically) BBC than ours but that is the engine that they tested already.
I suspect they will easily make over 3300hp.
My job got infinitely harder this year! LoL

Rob Freyvogel
AA/BFS
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline racergeo

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2019, 10:25:10 PM »
    The new HOT Rod state that the Speed Demon has a .096 coefficient of drag. They should know from the wind tunnel info. Hips and all. :-)

Offline desotoman

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2019, 11:59:21 PM »
Understand George is gaining weight in the form of a big block in order to keep up with the Hemi competition for fast piston engine car.

Sorry Rich and anyone else, It is not a big block Chevy according to the article in Hot Rod. It is a 441 LS based motor, so that will put him in the A engine class not AA.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2019, 11:43:30 AM »
It's Pre-Entered with a 540" Chevy V-8.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2019, 11:58:53 AM »
Stan said:  "...It's Pre-Entered with a 540" Chevy V-8."

No doubt sourced from an early 50s C10 pickup. :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline desotoman

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2019, 02:11:00 PM »
Maybe something has changed, but here is the article.

Tom G.

LS-Based Engine Seeks Bonneville Record
Will This Ken Duttweiler LS-Based Engine Power the Speed Demon Streamliner to a New Bonneville Piston-Driven, Ground-Vehicle, Land-Speed Record?

Hot Rod1 May 2019Marlan Davis Marlan Davis and Julia LaPalme

[ Rolling a “7”: Duttweiler says Liberty’s clutchless seven-speed trans “can probably take 4,000 hp.” All gears are direct (no OD); that’s OK, as the Ferguson quickchange rear’s final drive ratio is 1.67:1. [ May the forced induction be with you: The trick Pro Mod 88 Precision Turbos are built to order. Ken Duttweiler: “We use the same turbos on all Speed Demon engines, from 258 to 441 ci.” [ Gear changes for the better: A steering-wheel-mounted electrical pushbutton switch actuates these Air-Logic solenoids and pneumatic valves to change gears. Definitely no missed shifts here. [ Engine-eering: Duttweiler Performance’s 441ci, 2,625hp, methanolfueled, dual-turbo, land-speed-racing (LSR) engine is based on Dart’s LS NEXT short-skirt LS Gen III block and full-race, 10-degree LS Gen III cantedvalve heads. Maxwell Industries’ Steve Watt, “Mr. Chassis Integration,” built the headers, the ducting, the hoses—in fact, the whole car.

h441 cubic inches. 2,625 hp. 1,767 lb-ft. 40 pounds of boost. That’s the current state of engine-builder Ken Duttweiler’s latest Bonneville land-speed-record (LSR) engine that, when fully developed and debugged, he hopes will recapture Bonneville’s fastest piston-engined crown, currently held by Danny Thompson in the refurbished, 50-year-old “Challenger 2” Streamliner originally first driven back in 1968 by Danny’s dad, the legendary Mickey Thompson. Danny’s new high-water mark of 448.757 mph over the 5-mile-long salt flats course set just last summer surpasses the previous 2012 Bonneville SCTA high-water mark achieved by a single Duttweiler-built, 347ci small-block Chevy in George Poteet’s Speed Demon (HOT ROD, April 2012).

Running in AA/FS (AA/Fuel Streamliner), Challenger 2 needed two 2,500hp, nitro-fueled, unblown, old-school, 500ci, dry-block Hemi engines to get the overall two-way record. Duttweiler plans to take it back with a single 441ci engine. Nope, it’s not a big-block Chevy nor even another highly evolved traditional Chevrolet smallblock. Instead, Duttweiler is moving to the modern GM “LS” smallblock architecture, albeit in “Pro” racing trim using Dart’s brand-new LS NEXT racing block and Gen III 10-degree, oval-port CNC racing heads that, out of the box, flow more than 450 cfm at 0.900-inch lift.

Why an “unproven” LS? Dart’s rendition of an LS has, according to Duttweiler, “better heads that flow even more than the best Gen I [traditional] small-block splay-valve heads. They also have better

water circulation. The NEXT block can be ordered with larger Ford Cleveland 351C main-bearing journals, which better support our Crower 4.050-inch-stroker crank.”

But the real clincher was shoehorning a larger-displacement engine into the existing, very narrow Speed Demon chassis. “I want to attempt to set the record in A/BFS (A/Blown Fuel Streamliner) because that’s one of the few high-end forced-induction classes the Demon has no record in. We’ve held, at one time or another, the B , C, D, and F/BFS records. A/BFS requires a 441- to 500.99ci engine. Officially, Dart’s LS block is available with up to a 9.450-inch deck height, and they made one for me that comes in at 9.465 (a stock LS is 9.240). If a traditional small-block Chevy could be built with that tall a deck, it would not fit within the Demon’s existing narrow framerails.”

During the first run at the flats in 2018, the new LS combo reached 440-plus mph one-way before encountering some issues 2¼ miles into the 5-mile course. “At that point, the car was already 30 mph faster than it had ever gone before,” Duttweiler says. Developing any new engine for extreme racing is not like waving a magic wand. On the contrary, it requires overcoming, one by one, various obstacles that only reveal themselves under the duress imparted over a 5-mile-long run. LS engines may have proved durable up to the 2,000hp mark in short-duration drag racing, but with an engine that must last for minutes—not seconds—Ken is going where no LS man has gone before. On these pages, you’ll see some of the high-end parts used in the engine, as well as how Duttweiler is overcoming some of the issues encountered in further refining the LS architecture. It also serves to illustrate some of the differences between an LSR engine package and the drag-racing motors many of us may be more familiar with.

time-consuming and exacting fabrication, or an aluminum spacer available through Dart that accepts normal LS-style pans and incorporates power steering, A/C, and oil dipstick provisions.

Second, the lifter oiling passages deadhead at the front China wall. An LS block is shorter than an old-school small-block; with Dart’s reversed valve order compared to a standard LS, this places the front No. 1 exhaust lifter closer to the wall (and therefore the end of the lifter oil passage) than an old-school small-block.

“Because of higher bearing loads at the power levels we are at, we like to run 100-plus pounds of pressure to keep the oil wedge up in a Bonneville motor.”

—Ken Duttweiler

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2019, 02:19:01 PM »
Does this mean they will not run in AA/BFS this year?
I was under the assumption that BBC promod engine already test fit ok.
Can anybody from the team chime in?

Rob Freyvogel
AA/BFS
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2019, 03:08:53 PM »
All I know is they're entered in AA/BFS with a 540" Chevy V-8.  George Poteet is listed as the driver.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2019, 04:37:08 PM »
They usually run several engines through the week.

Pete

Offline desotoman

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2019, 06:36:59 PM »
Well, it looks like the Hot Rod article is older than this Hagerty interview.

In the Hagerty interview George says it will be a Big Block Chevy.

So my apologies for reading and believing the Hot Rod article.

Tom G.

PS. Stan you are correct, along with Rich Fox and others.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/05/16/george-poteet-at-70-has-records-to-break

When I asked him about his future plans for the Speed Demon, he told me the biggest engine yet is slated for Speed Week 2019. “We’re putting a big-block in the car. We’ll be running on Burkland’s record.” In 2004, Tom Burkland went 417.020 mph. At 555 cubic inches, the new Bonneville-bound big-block is 25 percent larger than any of the Chevy small-blocks that have powered the Speed Demon in its previous 400-mph runs. Duttweiler, a renowned engine builder and Buick Grand National guru, manages the power output from the engines by adding boost, as much as 55 psi, to create the 2300 horsepower needed to reach 400 mph in such a short amount of time.

With more displacement, the big-block should require a lot less boost and therefore be more reliable. But nothing is certain. Sustained high-rpm operation is murder on parts. George showed me a photo of engine carnage from the Blowfish. “We made half a run out there on a new engine and burned a hole in the piston that big.” He held up his hand showing the “okay” sign. The engine was not okay. Next was a photo of a turbocharger housing that had completely exploded. “The impeller came off it and had to get out.”

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2019, 07:52:31 PM »
It's Pre-Entered with a 540" Chevy V-8.
Is there a pre entry list posted?
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019