Author Topic: 2.3l ford engine former LSR record holder?  (Read 3901 times)

Offline alwaysFlOoReD

• New folks
2.3l ford engine former LSR record holder?
« on: January 27, 2019, 02:15:42 AM »
Hi,
I'm a total newb to this style racing so bare with me. First off I'm doing research on an engine I acquired in trade. Story is that it was raced on the salt in a 90's ranger and got the record in it's class at the time. Sounds like this was several decades ago. Shortly after the record was broken by a v6 ford Taurus engine and the owner started on building one of those. He passed on before completing the project, I'm trying to find who was the builder and any other info, specifically about the engine. Sorry for not much info but I imagine this is a very small community so hopefully someone remembers something or can give me a lead.
I'm not familiar with this engines systems so some description might be off. The engine is a 2.3l with mechanical fuel injection. The pump is run from a small ribbed pulley that is integral to a larger pulley. This larger pulley is part of a serpentine belt system. The front of the engine crank looks like it has some type of hand held start input, basically a 1/2" slot cut into a pulley attachment. There are 4 individual intakes that are slightly smaller than the tennis balls plugging them off. I was told the head has a lot of r+d into it. The exhaust is 4 into one headers. There is a crank case vent line running down to the collector. There is a fuel pump block off with a AN fitting with a line running to the back of the block, oil line?

Thanks for any input,
Richard

Offline 7707

Re: 2.3l ford engine former LSR record holder?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 06:56:54 AM »
Do you have any names or other ID to help? Even perhaps where it came from originally.
Current class record holder (A/BFRMR) at 258.679mph and i?m Just trying to go fast!

Look for our Facebook page ...  Geoff Stilwell

Offline alwaysFlOoReD

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 01:21:26 PM »
I'll ask.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 07:33:46 PM »
Looking back in old rule books. It might have been the "Spirit of Havasu" C. Jackson, set back in 10-96. At least it is a lead.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline alwaysFlOoReD

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 09:29:16 PM »
Thanks.

Anyone
Is there a searchable history of lsr records. I didn't seem to find anything for the 90's.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 11:14:23 PM »
The quick answer is no... the only records that seem to matter (other than a few firsts) are the current records.  Previous records are known to their holder and maybe the guy that took it.... The SCTA does not have an archive of old records that I am aware of.... other than the old record and rule books...  and the way you find an old record is keep looking back until something appears.... sorry
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 11:59:08 PM »
A couple random thoughts that don't really need to be answered:

a) Why would someone substitute mechanical fuel injection in a vehicle that has electronic fuel injection?  Several ecu upgrades were available.

b) Perhaps it's a mid-90s Ranger 2.5l (factory stroked 2.3l) and was run in a class that required mechanical f.i. such as roadsters.

Does it have an aluminum head?  If so, does it have a number stamped above the #1 exhaust port?  If so, it's an Esslinger head and they should be able to tell you who bought the head originally.

Mike

Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline alwaysFlOoReD

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 12:11:56 PM »
Thanks for the replies.
I got some info from the person who sold it to me;
Nanook Racing - team name
Owner - Mike McCrimmon
Crew chief/engine builder - Jim Clifford
both above RIP
Ron Hall was involved - welding instructor @ Red Deer college

The story I got was
"the truck matched the existing class record of 129.3 mph and the largest engine allowed was 3 liter. Next day a guy with a 3 liter truck moved the record to 140+ using a Tuarus SHO"

The story is great but the speeds sound slow to me and I don't really have a clue.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 12:14:07 PM by alwaysFlOoReD »

Offline alwaysFlOoReD

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 12:20:01 PM »
A couple random thoughts that don't really need to be answered:

a) Why would someone substitute mechanical fuel injection in a vehicle that has electronic fuel injection?  Several ecu upgrades were available.

I wonder the same. Perhaps they were old school and didn't feel comfortable with EFI

b) Perhaps it's a mid-90s Ranger 2.5l (factory stroked 2.3l) and was run in a class that required mechanical f.i. such as roadsters.

Perhaps. If I can figure out how to get a picture out of messaging on my phone I'll post up the pic.

Does it have an aluminum head?  If so, does it have a number stamped above the #1 exhaust port?  If so, it's an Esslinger head and they should be able to tell you who bought the head originally.

No aluminum head.

Mike

The owner had a auto wrecking yard, if that means anything.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2019, 01:00:01 PM »
Looking back in old rule books. It might have been the "Spirit of Havasu" C. Jackson, set back in 10-96.

Sorry that was an El Mirage record.

Bonneville was an open record in 1999. In 2000 it was set by "Four Shifts and Grins" P. Patterson @

In the 2005 rule book it still has the above as the record holder but in the 2006 rule book it has
"Steves Machine" S. Shotrosky @ 146.356 setting it on 8/2004.

Probably no help but gives you a time line.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline alwaysFlOoReD

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2019, 01:20:26 PM »
Thanks for that ^^^. I guess the times I was given are not far off.

Offline alwaysFlOoReD

• New folks
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2019, 01:23:30 PM »
A fuzzy pic;