Author Topic: Front brakes .... do you have them on your racebike?  (Read 4423 times)

Offline gowing

Front brakes .... do you have them on your racebike?
« on: January 08, 2019, 07:18:37 PM »
Simple enough question........ along with a why or why not would be great.

Personally, I have always liked heavy front ends on my bikes, (they just feel more "planted"),
so the additional weight of a dual disc setup is not a deal breaker to me. It just seems logical to leave it alone.

Does the unsprung weight of a front brake really make that big of a difference?

What are your thoughts / opinions?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 08:02:08 PM by gowing »

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
Re: Front brakes .... do you have them on your racebike?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 07:28:11 PM »
i have left the front discs and calipers on (ballast), but thay are inoperatable,, activate the rear brake from the handlebar, reason being if you get a weave or wobble happening you can control it easier by hand from the bars,,
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 11:57:17 PM »
At least twice I have gotten into trouble using front brakes on the salt. Traction is so limited most of the time that it is easy to lock the front wheel and down you go. I went down coasting into the pit at a low speed by just touching the front brake lightly (wet salt). If you inadvertently lock the rear wheel it is not so much of a problem.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 12:36:19 AM »
Some folks think the discs add aero to the front wheel... We always removed them... ran them one meet to decide if they helped, ran within a tenth and that was not consistent... Like I said... we always removed them... put the back brake on the bars and don't use it unless you are rolling to a stop.
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 09:44:01 AM »
No front brake on my bike to save weight and to reduce friction drag.

Offline TheBaron

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 10:23:35 AM »
If you ever compete in the Runway Events,,,,, you will need them

Robert

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 10:40:24 AM »
We've always left the rotor(s) on the front wheel but consistently would back the pucks off the rotor before runs at Bville.  There's no doubt that we picked up some mph from that.

But then there was the time that we ran at the salt and immediately drove to Maxton for an event.  I distinctly remember quite an "Oh, SH*T!!" moment when I crossed the line and grabbed a handful of - - of lever, then another, a third, and on the fourth finally felt something starting to happen.

Note to self:  Remember to check brakes before a run.  And no, I don't remember how they got through inspection like that. . . :-o :-o
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline RansomT

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 07:31:54 PM »
On runway events, my bikes are set up that I never use the rear brakes to stop, only the fronts.  But, over the years I've also learned how to aero brake.

Offline wfojohn

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 08:30:43 AM »
On runway events, my bikes are set up that I never use the rear brakes to stop, only the fronts.  But, over the years I've also learned how to aero brake.

Ransom, what is aero braking, that is a new term to me. Thanks John

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2019, 09:19:10 AM »
My guess for "aero" braking?  At some point once I cross the line and get out of the throttle I make sure I'm holding on and then sit the heck up and let my body take the wind to be the air brake, so to speak.  On the salt I cross the lie and get outa the throttle, and then, about 160 or so, start getting up into the wind.  Helmet, head and shoulders, full sitting position, and by then I'm well below race speed and starting to look for a turnout.

On short tracks there ain't the luxury of miles to run, so things need to happen a tad more quickly... :wink:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline TheBaron

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2019, 10:29:30 AM »
I also sit up as I pass the finish line to help slow down...

HOWEVER !  Certain bikes can and will go into a "Weave" caused by  turbulence vortex shedding coming off the upright rider....

If a bike begins weaving I've found it best to get as low and forward as possible to calm the event down.....

My bike is fine open w/o its fairing,,, with fairing and the "big tail" installed it has noticeable weave when slowing down till it is under 100 mph....

With just the front fairing it only has a slight weave condition that isn't serious at all....

Just be safe by being aware of this issue

Robert "Smitty" Smith

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 11:40:59 AM »
all of my Bonneville bikes have the front brakes removed to include the rotors.  I also run the rear brake up to the handlebars as it is much easier for the rider to use and it helps when unloading from the trailer as well.

Offline RansomT

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2019, 06:48:22 PM »
A variation of what Jon said.  Purposely and controlled: raise head, shoulders,and then slightly slide forward raising more and allow elbows and knees to extended. Too quick and you get weave, and typically if that happens that is the only time I use the back brake.  I've run a many of shake down runs in the 190-200 range, and never touch the brakes until I get back to the pits.  Takes practice....also helped when I lived within commuting range of an event.