Author Topic: Triumph 650 efi  (Read 6473 times)

Offline Ian Northeast

Triumph 650 efi
« on: January 04, 2019, 06:59:23 PM »
Hi guys,
I apologise if the answer to this is out there somewhere but I'm struggling to find it.
I have been asked to build a bike to race at speed week 2020. The donor is a 1967 Triumph TR6 650cc twin. Bearing in mind we are coming all the way over from the UK I am very keen to avoid wasting most of speed week trying to get the jetting correct only to have the temperature drop and have to go through it all again.
So I am looking to fit an EFI system.
Has anyone out there any experience with any system that may be applicable to a 650/750 twin engine?

Ian

Offline maj

Re: Triumph 650 efi
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 03:04:17 PM »
There will be lots of good options for efi,
Download  the software of any you think may suit and see how easy it is for you to use
and look for one with good logging capability , no matter how much time you spend on a dyno you will need to check and adjust for real conditions
It will need barometric pressure capability to adjust for the altitude , most can do this but not all
top end stuff like Motec are in common use and if you needed help a very good chance there would be someone there willing to talk
Also AEM are well represented, one of the guys is a member on the forum and may chime in
I use Link out of NZ on our bikes , moving them over from flashing the factory ecu in the last few yrs and find it very intuitive,
And there are many others  there 

Offline Frenchinjection

• APS-BPS 750 Triumph Twin 775 . 152.35 record
    • Saltbike 775
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 12:34:27 PM »
Hi Ian.  In 2017 we took the APS-PBF 750 record at 152.892  using mechanical injection but with a DTA Fast S60 pro ECU controlling the sparks.  We modified it considerably during 2018/19 and are returning in 2020 with full EFI and compound turbo/supercharger. 

Also at SW 2017 were the Diamond Mob who ran AEM EFI on a turbo 650 twin and set and broke their own records all week. A-PBG Diamond Mob - Chris Hawkshaw Triumph 8 /17  127.338mph

Speak to Chris Hawkshaw at Hawkshaw Motorcycles.  Tell him I sent you.

Aslo if you are planning on 202, then PM me to share a container.

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 05:13:12 PM »
I assume you're going to use the original TR6 head (parallel ports) with IR throttle bodies in place of the original 2-1 manifold?

Offline Ian Northeast

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 01:05:17 PM »
Hi Panic,
Yes that's the plan at the moment.
I've got one of our top men looking at how much gas we can get through the head.

Ian

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 12:13:48 AM »
EFI might be a complex solution to a simple problem.  Two Mikuni flat slide carbs are on my Triumph.  Jetting is optimized on a dyno at near sea level.  A Mikuni jetting slide rule is used to adjust the jetting to typical conditions on the salt flats.  Sometimes the jetting is changed a little bit, based on slide rule calcs, if salt flat climate is atypical.  It is an easy solution and there are no EFI throttle body butterfly valves cluttering up the intake tracts. 

Offline mergatroyd

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 09:20:23 PM »
I'm running a Ducati 749 on alcohol with EFI and ignition controlled by a microsquirt.

There's a learning curve...
I have no idea what I'm doing... but it seems to be working!

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2019, 12:58:09 PM »
I would suggest looking at Kinsler. They make a number of individual throttle bodies in both mechanical and electronic injection configuration. They can combine a set of their throttle bodies for you engine. We run Kinsler mechanical injection on our 1000 cc Kawasaki in our I class fuel lakester. We have considered electronic injection but the affect of the salt on the wiring can be a problem that you can chase for the whole meet (personal experience from last years WOS meet). The great thing about mechanical is that it is sooo simple. We set the main jet for max at max torque and then live with what we get for the top end. As we are running methanol we do have a very wide tuning band that the engine makes good power at. We have added an AEM data acquisition unit this year with a wide ban O2 sensor so we hope this will help us with our tune up. Although the AEM unit does mean a fair amount of extra wiring we can still run the engine without it as opposed to an electronic injection system which can be a wiring nightmare.

Rex and Duke
I/FL 984
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline maj

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2019, 05:37:46 PM »
 :evil:  salt gremlins in the wiring used to be a major pain for us, replaced the wiring every second year ,
 but last builds were with sealed mini fuse and relay housings, all sealed connectors , and lots of care in the assembly of the harness
2 yrs in now and no sign of problems