Author Topic: The Green Fiend 100cc A/G and A/F 2019 build  (Read 10668 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: The Green Fiend 100cc A/G and A/F 2019 build
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2018, 11:52:33 AM »
I can almost guarantee aluminum can stay together at 1350 EGT... not  so much at 1450.... don't ask how I know...  Of course it all depends on engine design, fuel and dumb luck.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline skidpupRandD

• New folks
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2018, 07:50:24 PM »
I can almost guarantee aluminum can stay together at 1350 EGT... not  so much at 1450.... don't ask how I know...  Of course it all depends on engine design, fuel and dumb luck.
Yes Sir, aluminum with silicone has a higher melting point, Ive found out where it likes to melt down

Offline skidpupRandD

• New folks
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2018, 07:53:45 PM »
Looks well planned and well built.  What is your objective with new rear drop-outs and different front end?  Watch the trail of the front end, as the leading axle forks decrease trail which may affect handling. 

I also notice that big fat expansion chamber which is close to the ground. New rule requires 20 degree lean angle so check that as well.

Two stroke tuning is still a mystery to me, so I'm always impressed when someone gets it right!  Do you have any issues at Bonneville with the 2-3 mile wide open throttle in regards to overheating?

Tom

My old Front end was about 9lbs heavier and it had 43mm inverted tubes, new forks are 31mm and standard forks. little less weight and smaller package, and the trail will match my old setup(just different size forks). Also yes, that was the easiest way to run the pipe at the current time, and the first pipe I built, so i didnt want to go for some tight fit just yet. Tuning 2 strokes is still a mystery to me, im just barely getting into it! and no problems with overheating the water, but keeping Egt down is a bit of a task, just gotta keep your hand on the clutch just incase she gets too hot. The bike likes running at around 1225-1275 at WOT, and aluminum melts at 1300 or so, just gotta watch it the whole run

I am far from an expert on this but I believe aluminum melts at about 1220f.
In our 2-stroke EGTs are around 1245f.
I'm guessing that incoming fuel is cooling the piston so it is not seeing the same temp. that the EGT probe is seeing.

Don

Aluminum with silicone alloy melts a little higher, but also retarded ignitions create higher egts when measured in the pipe, so it is sending more heat out instead of holding it in.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2019, 01:56:29 PM »
Your little 100 cc bike is neat! I love 2 strokes but never had much experience with a water cooled one. If you go to methanol it should help the temp problem some and add some more hps. Several pics of your bike on the SCTA web site for the Nov 2018 El Mo race. Again nice piece. Don't really follow the motorcycle rules but are you allowed to run a hump on your back, like the GP guys do? Could help your aero a lot. Your goal of 110 is actually a pretty big increase so you will need to start doing lots of detail changes that all will (hopefully) add up to a faster bike. It will be fun to watch your progress.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline skidpupRandD

• New folks
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2019, 02:23:59 PM »
Your little 100 cc bike is neat! I love 2 strokes but never had much experience with a water cooled one. If you go to methanol it should help the temp problem some and add some more hps. Several pics of your bike on the SCTA web site for the Nov 2018 El Mo race. Again nice piece. Don't really follow the motorcycle rules but are you allowed to run a hump on your back, like the GP guys do? Could help your aero a lot. Your goal of 110 is actually a pretty big increase so you will need to start doing lots of detail changes that all will (hopefully) add up to a faster bike. It will be fun to watch your progress.

Rex
Thank you, no hump on the back in the naked class, only allowed in aps class. Yes 110 is a hefty goal but theres a lot planned for the bike, easy goals are boring anyways.

Offline skidpupRandD

• New folks
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2019, 02:37:50 PM »
Modified seating position, lowered my butt  about 3 inches, also going with different handlebars. Not sure what I want for bars yet though

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2019, 06:50:08 PM »
Your knee is tucked in behind your arm and your back is flatter in the lower foto.  Having a flat back is more important than having a low butt as per aero, I am told, and as I have observed.  One guy whose record I chased raised his bum off of the seat in order to keep his back flat.  He was an extremely fast and experienced rider and still holds a work record in the naked class.   

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2019, 07:13:36 PM »
Mike, my last reply was not optimal.  Aero drag is related to frontal area and drag coefficient.  Dropping your butt with your head at its current elevation does not reduce frontal area and it likely will increase the drag coefficient.  A corresponding drop in your head and shoulder elevation so your back stays flat is optimal.  This reduces frontal area and maintains a good drag coefficient.  Also, making sure your leathers fit snug and your back is smooth are a big benefit.   

Offline skidpupRandD

• New folks
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2019, 07:57:17 PM »
Mike, my last reply was not optimal.  Aero drag is related to frontal area and drag coefficient.  Dropping your butt with your head at its current elevation does not reduce frontal area and it likely will increase the drag coefficient.  A corresponding drop in your head and shoulder elevation so your back stays flat is optimal.  This reduces frontal area and maintains a good drag coefficient.  Also, making sure your leathers fit snug and your back is smooth are a big benefit.  
lately ive been using "knee bars" so i can raise and lower my butt off of those, kind of making the bike more of a kneeler. i forgot to put them on in the top photo, those hold my knees up high and i just wanted to see the line going over my helmet and back.  So I would like to test different positions, including lower butt and minimal tail section, going to be fine tuning my position a lot this season in preparation for a fairing, and I dont have much room anywhere else for a fuel tank so it has to stay there for now.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 07:59:41 PM by skidpupRandD »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2019, 12:01:29 AM »
Looking at the pic, I would suggest you make your tail section larger so it comes straight off your back at about butt wide at your butt.... taper to about tire width at the back.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline skidpupRandD

• New folks
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2019, 10:24:14 AM »
Looking at the pic, I would suggest you make your tail section larger so it comes straight off your back at about butt wide at your butt.... taper to about tire width at the back.
I will be setting the bike up to be modular, so i can test different setups and positions, one of the plans is to make a few different tail sections and swap them out during testing(I live an hour and a half from el mirage so im hoping to get some offseason testing in. Heard lots of people have good luck with no tail section and some with good luck with massive tail, just gotta find out what works for me.

Offline Darcane

• New folks
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2019, 03:45:30 PM »
Hello everyone, I'm Mikey Hanrahan from Glendora, Ca and ive been racing el mirage for 3 years and 2 years at Bonneville on my kx100 I call the Green Fiend. It is a kx100 built for the special construction gas class, and currently I hold the record at El Mirage at 104.146mph in the 100cc A/G class. This is everything Im doing in Preparation for the 2019 season, I hope you guys enjoy it. My goal sits at 110mph without a fairing, and hopefully will have a methanol setup for next year, lots of tuning to figure out. One of my main goals for next season also is to clean everything up and make the bike a little cleaner. My "company" is Skidpup Customs, follow on Facebook for more random updates

Hey Mikey,

104mph?  Nice!  Looks like you picked up some speed since Bonneville then.  I was helping crew for Mike Schunk with his 100cc bike and we were pitted next to you at Bonneville.  Good luck with hitting 110mph!

Mike

Offline skidpupRandD

• New folks
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2019, 10:45:53 AM »
Hello everyone, I'm Mikey Hanrahan from Glendora, Ca and ive been racing el mirage for 3 years and 2 years at Bonneville on my kx100 I call the Green Fiend. It is a kx100 built for the special construction gas class, and currently I hold the record at El Mirage at 104.146mph in the 100cc A/G class. This is everything Im doing in Preparation for the 2019 season, I hope you guys enjoy it. My goal sits at 110mph without a fairing, and hopefully will have a methanol setup for next year, lots of tuning to figure out. One of my main goals for next season also is to clean everything up and make the bike a little cleaner. My "company" is Skidpup Customs, follow on Facebook for more random updates

Hey Mikey,

104mph?  Nice!  Looks like you picked up some speed since Bonneville then.  I was helping crew for Mike Schunk with his 100cc bike and we were pitted next to you at Bonneville.  Good luck with hitting 110mph!

Mike
Good to hear from you again Mike! Hope to see you a this Speedweek! or head down to El Mirage with Mike Schunk!

Offline skidpupRandD

• New folks
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2019, 10:53:10 AM »
Hidden catch can, trying to clean up the spaghetti factory in the frame, now all the hoses are as short as possible.

Offline skidpupRandD

• New folks
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2019, 10:49:53 AM »
Got the Radiator mounted, lines made for the radiator, air shifter all tacked up, now moving onto the air shifter accessories.