Author Topic: History - World of Speed 1990  (Read 825 times)

Offline TrickyDicky

History - World of Speed 1990
« on: December 28, 2022, 07:44:48 AM »
After a year with almost no runs at all, it's been kind-of quiet on here for a while.

So does anyone have the results of 1990 WoS that they could share?  This is the event where Nolan White and Al Teague each made passes at over 400 mph for the first time; and Fred Larsen, Rick White and John Baechtel set FIA records.  It may also have been when Ken Walkey and Bob Dalton qualified for membership of the 200mph Club.

I have been trying to piece together what happened when from information easily available to me, but there appears to be remarkably little out there considering how many records were set in those four days.  In addition, some of the reports contradict each other on the details so difficult to know what to believe.  Ideally someone would have a day-by-day record of the runs that would provide clarity.

I appreciate many of you guys may be just trying to stay fit and healthy during the 'bomb cyclone', but if you do have some spare time please have a look on your actual or virtual book shelves.

Offline DallasV

Re: History - World of Speed 1990
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2022, 04:22:21 PM »
After a year with almost no runs at all, it's been kind-of quiet on here for a while.

So does anyone have the results of 1990 WoS that they could share?  This is the event where Nolan White and Al Teague each made passes at over 400 mph for the first time; and Fred Larsen, Rick White and John Baechtel set FIA records.  It may also have been when Ken Walkey and Bob Dalton qualified for membership of the 200mph Club.

I have been trying to piece together what happened when from information easily available to me, but there appears to be remarkably little out there considering how many records were set in those four days.  In addition, some of the reports contradict each other on the details so difficult to know what to believe.  Ideally someone would have a day-by-day record of the runs that would provide clarity.

I appreciate many of you guys may be just trying to stay fit and healthy during the 'bomb cyclone', but if you do have some spare time please have a look on your actual or virtual book shelves.

Your best bet would be to get a hold of Ellen Wilkenson of USFRA. If she doesn't have the info she may know who does. Back in those days the late Mary West kept a lot of the books. I'm not sure if she passed those on to Ellen. The only other person I could think of would be Hugh Colthorp. But Ellen is your best chance.
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline TrickyDicky

Re: History - World of Speed 1990
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2022, 05:23:32 PM »

Your best bet would be to get a hold of Ellen Wilkenson of USFRA. If she doesn't have the info she may know who does. Back in those days the late Mary West kept a lot of the books. I'm not sure if she passed those on to Ellen. The only other person I could think of would be Hugh Colthorp. But Ellen is your best chance.

Thanks for the suggestion.  There is an email address for Ellen on the USFRA web site, so I will probably try that.  I also have another lead that I'll try first.