Author Topic: Mitral valve prolapse and tricuspid valve farkle  (Read 17837 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Mitral valve prolapse and tricuspid valve farkle
« on: December 20, 2018, 09:20:30 PM »
Geez, I didn't think I'd be writing about myself here.  Here's the latest:  I'll be going to back to Mayo Clinic (Jackie and I are here right now, for the workup) in January (no date set yet) for some fancy open heart surgery.  Yeah, the kind where they chain saw up my ribs so the doc can reach in with garden tools (vs. robot surgery where they poke tiny holes in my side and put a Roomba in there to do the work, I guess).

It sounds like I might be kinda quiet for the first month or two of '19.  Deal with it, hey?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Mitral valve prolapse and tricuspid valve farkle
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 09:37:07 PM »
Jon, I had a seven artery bypass in 2006. It was a hard couple of weeks after but I sure felt a lot better. Just do what the doctor tells you. Get well fast. Please keep us updated. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 09:41:16 PM »
Wow that is big time Jon! I am sure you will be fine after the surgery but still that is a major operation. You will be at the Mayo Clinic, and be well taken care of! Once you go for the surgery, make a post so we can wish you well.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline Crackerman

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 10:07:50 PM »
Well, as long as you don't get less ornery, I guess it'll be all right....
I hope it goes well! Heal fast and get back at it soon!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 11:30:48 PM »
So Jon, are they planning an R&R of the mitral?  Opt for a tissue valve.... it's OK, you will still be able to go to BBQ and not feel like a cannibal... mine probably came from a very tasty pig  :-o 
It is major, but since you are healthy you will recover easily....
Any reason you are doing that at Mayo and not the Cleveland Clinic... they are one of the premier heart hospitals in the world... My doc recommended me to there or Kansas Heart.... I picked local... I already had the robot repair... it held for 2 years... then failed so new valve time...
The down side is after they do all that messing around with you heart, the chances of needing an Aortic valve in the future go up... Doc said mine is now leaking a little... we are monitoring....
Oh, after my surgery my heart wouldn't run on it's own.... for about 5 days, started running on its own about 4 hours before pacemaker installation....
Ended up with a pacemaker last February... heart runs 60-65 now instead of 40...
Good luck with your rework... let us know how you're doing Ay

Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 12:23:36 AM »
Jon,

Wishing you the best outcome!

:cheers:
Mark
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 12:34:31 AM »
    Slim,
 Quick solution: get out of bed and toss down two large cups of heavy duty black (no sissy stuff) coffee. toss a rusty 1/2" washer in and if it floats its strong enough.  It helps if it is two or three day old coffee made in a unwashed coffee pot.  Result, sudden cramps, loose sphincter, heading quickly to the nearest growler (helps to check on paper supply in growler before heating coffee,)
  Results: quick relief once the sweat quits running down your face and back followed up by remembering what day it is and where You are supposed to be in thirty minutes.
  I positively guarantee You will be moving quickly, your mind will be spinning with new found energy and with a strong heart beat.  Just be sure to check the backs of your shoes for any signs of trailing t.p.  After Your appointment (hair, court hearing, I.R.S.. etc) go home and take a nap.  Repeat as needed.
                                                                                   Dr. One Run Drury, eminent gynecologist and part time proctologist...............out.
p.s.  I think it was those pasties or bratwurst that dun ya in................  You and Lady Slim have a Merry Christmas and a VERY SPECIAL AND HEARTFELT NEW YEAR!!!
Bob Drury

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 10:14:42 AM »
Insist on a titanium valve with stellite seat.  Get well soon Slim.  It should go OK. 

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 11:27:08 AM »
Wishing you all the best and a speedy and complete recovery, Jon.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline mtiberio

• ElMo MPG1K 141, LTA MPF1K 137, ECTA MPG1K 118
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 11:58:07 AM »
ad a triple by-pass with an Aortic valve replacement back in 2010. For me it was radiation treatment for cancer in my neck back in 1972 that damaged the valve. I went for a pig valve just because I didn't want to have to take rat poison for the rest of my life, plus I'm a biker, and the odds of crashing alone out in the country and bleeding out while on blood thinners is non-zero. Yes the pig valves only last for 15 years or so, but I'll deal with re-operation when (and if) the time comes.

As far as recovery goes, for me it was a mortar  fracker. I was on the table for a long time (Doc says he had to chip away the calcium from the inside of my Aorta to get to fresh meat to attach the valve to.) I felt like I had a hangover for a week (maybe I had a stroke, who knows). But I walked, and I walked. It snowed like hell that winter, and I must have wore a groove in the carpets around the house just walking. I went to cardiac rehab, and frankly I was one of the better recovering guys there, so that was good (maybe they had heart attacks, I didn't). As far as lingering stuff goes, I don't know, oddly enough I'm more claustrophobic since the operation, with perhaps a bit of brain fog. But then the fog could be due to having my Thyroid removed in 2011 due to cancer (also cause by the 1972 radiation).

Like all medical shite, its a big deal if you make it so. Just let the experts do what they do and follow instructions (you do need to sanity check them however). You'll be fine.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 10:15:12 PM by SPARKY »

Offline tauruck

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2018, 12:19:48 PM »
Prayers in the pipeline Boss. You'll be fine.🙏✝✝✝👍

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2018, 12:26:42 PM »
Shouldn't this be in the Build Diaries?  :? :-D

In my mechanic days I told a heart doctor when my patient stops I can resurrect it!

He said, " Can you do it while it's running?"  :? :x :? :x :?

Good luck on your valve job Slim - maybe you'll get his gandson!  :cheers: :cheers:
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 08:45:49 AM by WOODY@DDLLC »
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Online wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2018, 03:13:00 PM »
Jon:

Take care and speedy recovery.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2018, 03:41:14 PM »
All the best for a speedy and complete recovery Jon. I've had several friends go through similar procedures and they all came back way better than before.

Pete

Offline desotoman

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2018, 05:02:24 PM »
Jon,

Sorry you have to go through this operation. But you will come out with flying colors. And you will have the best nurse to help you through it.

Best wishes,

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.