Author Topic: Challenger and Challenger II...  (Read 4971 times)

Offline ratpatrol66

Offline aircap

Re: Challenger and Challenger II...
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 12:16:00 AM »
This is a good thing.
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 12:19:32 AM »
Along with Assault1 and the 2-cylinder record breaker.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 01:14:40 AM »
  When the Museum bought the earlier vehicles they also got all the extra parts and pieces from those early years.
    Just so You know, The Museum is funded by the wonderful folks who own Columbia Sportswear, Sorrel Boots and Moonstruck Chocolates to name a few brands.
    The Museum is a great member of the community hosting school kids, giving classes and sponsoring amateur racing in the Portland area.  It's about 30 to 45 minutes
  south of Portland International Airport (take I-205 south until it Merges with I-5 south and take the next exit to the right to the stop light.  Make a quick right followed
  immediately by a quick left and follow the I-5 Frontage road south for about a Mile and You will be there.  If You are coming from the south take the Wilsonville exit, cross
  under the freeway (left) make a immediate right on the Frontage road north  (there is a great place to eat on the right (the RAM ?) and it's about a mile north to the Museum.
    The other neat thing is they rotate about half of the vehicles like the Porches You see about every three months or so. Other than Danny's car I believe they own them all
  including Mickey's monocoque chassis' Mustang Funny Car.
                                                     "One Run", out..........................
                                               p.s. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all................. even Stainless and Ol' Stan Back, hisself!!! :cheers: :cheers:

Bob Drury

Offline racergeo

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 01:22:46 AM »
  When I visited a few weeks ago,a fellow told me they were trying to get funding to buy Challenger 11. Probably on loan till funding happens.

Offline ratpatrol66

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 03:13:53 AM »
I live a few hours away and plan to go down between Christmas and New Years. Really want to see the Pontiac powered Challenger in person and all of Mickeys other Pontiac powered toys. It was a sight and sound to behold watching Danny make those two passes this year at Speedweek. Really can't wait to see those two speed machines together!!! :cheers:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 09:31:36 AM »
One Run... you forgot to mention that there is a nice little Brewery across the street and down a few doors... Vanguard Brewing had a great Stout when I was there... almost lost in the sea of IPAs
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2018, 11:10:01 AM »
What's the name of the museum (since my Univac can't open the original post)?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 11:38:23 AM »

[From the Hemmings blog]

We’ve written a bunch in recent years about the trials, tribulations, and, ultimately, triumphs that Danny Thompson and his Challenger 2 crew experienced while setting the record for the fastest piston-driven vehicle on land. Now, with that record-breaking car retired, for the first time ever both the Challenger 1 and Challenger 2, cars originally built by his father, Mickey Thompson, are on display together at the World of Speed Motorsports Museum in Wilsonville, Oregon.

We’ve closely followed Danny Thompson’s odyssey here the past few years with the twin-engined Challenger 2, a story that ended with a SCTA-sanctioned, 448.757-mph two-way average speed at the Bonneville Salt Flats this past August, some 50 years after his father first built the car as the Autolite Special. Challenger 1 has been on loan to World of Speed from Danny Thompson since the museum opened its doors in 2015.

World of Speed curator Ron Huegli told us that, following the record-breaking run and Danny Thompson’s decision to retire Challenger 2, “Danny and his wife, Valerie, just the two of them, spent a few months just getting it cleaned up.” Today, the two cars (which contain six engines between them) are lined up on the World of Speed floor with 70 or so other racing machines. Now, with Challenger 2 in place, visitors can get an up-close and personal look at the two record cars.

But…In the words of late-night commercials readily found on the triple-digit channels, but wait, there’s more! World of Speed also has on display three other Mickey Thompson speed record cars, plus one re-creation. On July 9, 1961, Mickey Thompson, aided by a crew led by mechanic and fabricator Fritz Voigt, a longtime Thompson collaborator, arrived at March Air Force Base not far from Riverside, California. In the blazing summer heat with temperatures well into the triple digits, Thompson and his crew set a host of speed records in different classes, across different distance, via the 13,300-foot runway.

Those four Pontiac-powered cars include the Attempt 1, a narrow, fully streamlined speed record car. The plan called for attempts in two different classes, with two different, modified Tempest four-cylinder engines. For the D class attempts, a destroked 180-cu.in mill with a 4-71 blower pushing 22 psi into the intake helped deliver an estimated 460 horsepower at 7,000 rpm burning a nitromethane cocktail. The class E engine had sleeved cylinders for a narrowed bore and an even shorter stroke, to displace 120-cu.in. With a 3-71 blower producing 20 psi, the E engine still boasted an impressive 420 hp at 7,400 rpm.

The Assault, a record-attempt car from a previous visit to March, featured a blown Pontiac 303 V-8 under the hood, with other engines available for the different class records Mickey Thompson was intent on setting. The Southern California Pontiac dealer group loaned a 389-powered Catalina to Thompson and crew, who pulled out the stock engine and installed a 421 Super Duty (available in 1961 as an over-the-counter item at the parts desk) for the day. With the 389 reinstalled, that Catalina went back into the dealer pool, delivered to some unsuspecting buyer, who, while almost certainly unaware of the car’s record attempts, was also likely unaware of the high speeds the Catalina was capable of. The car on display at World of Speed is a re-creation of that original ’61 Catalina.

The final of the quartet is perhaps one of the most unusual record-attempt cars: a rail dragster with a supercharged, two-cylinder 90-cc engine cut down—with a band saw no less—from a Tempest four-cylinder.

In all, Thompson set 14 different records that day in the flying kilometer and flying mile (why stop on such a long runway, right?), his mechanics working overtime as Thompson hopped from car to car. With the competition at Bonneville off that year due to weather and conditions on the salt, Thompson’s display of speed at March Air Force Base with American iron, putting to rest a bunch of records formerly held by European drivers and makes, certainly continued to cement his reputation as a racer.

Those four cars remain part of the Zero to 1000 exhibit and are now complemented by the two Challenger cars. As Ron puts it, “It’s an amazing thing to think about with the two cars together for the first time, here in public.”

The World of Speed Motorsports Museum is open Tuesday through Sunday, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. each day except Saturday, when it opens at 9:00 a.m. in Wilsonville, just south of Portland. The Challenger 2 should be on display through at least May, according to Ron.

There are some nice photos as well.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 02:44:12 PM by TrickyDicky »

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2018, 12:11:48 PM »

World of Speed, Wilsonville, Oregon (just south of Portland).   :cheers:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2018, 04:12:22 PM »
  Stan You better hope that Univac doesn't tip over in the next big "Quake".  I believe they weigh in around two tons. My advice: keep your Pith helmet on at ALL times...............
                                                                       "One Run", out..........................................................
Bob Drury

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2018, 06:35:53 PM »
Sure it's not an Eniac!  :-o :-D
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2018, 09:15:19 PM »
I'm not sure.  It's an early wood-fired model.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2018, 10:21:53 AM »
Stan,

You must use the proper "wire wrapping tool" to get all the data.

I will drop off to Martins later next month.

Happy Holidays, J
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.