Author Topic: Bloodhound latest news  (Read 48131 times)

Offline TD

Re: Bloodhound latest news
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2018, 04:36:04 PM »
Interesting to read how Bloodhound SSC has been seen from across the pond. May I remind readers that setting a new land speed record was never top of the list of goals for that project - enthusing new engineers was the top aim.

Malcolm, having followed the project since its inception, having been very peripherally associated with it at one time through my former employer, and before that having followed the Thrust SSC program extremely closely, all from across the pond, I have to ask whether this was the case at the beginning?

I ask after once having read and again found https://government.diginomica.com/2017/07/26/bloodhound-oracle-chase-1000-mph-land-record-hope-inspire-generation-stem-students/, which suggests a somewhat different history:

Noble:  Anyhow, so that was that. And the next thing that happened was we found multiple challengers going after our record. So Andy Green, who drove for us, I met in a pub in Whitehall and we said, “What are we going to do?” So we decided what we would do is we would challenge. This would be the last car. This is the last time we’re going to do this. We would challenge. And we estimated the competition might get to 800, so therefore, we’ve got to go faster.

Noble said that during his (2008) meeting with the Minister, Drayson said:

What I want you to do is to take your project and run it through every single school in the country and get us a new generation of scientist and engineers.

Now one could fairly state that education was an important goal of the project from very early on, but if one believes what's written on the web (at one's peril) it seems like simply going faster than the rest was what motivated Noble initally, and the meeting with Lord Drayson, held to seek MoD support for the program, was the genesis of the STEM educational goal.

Whatever the history, they've met the goal admirably IMO, and it is a shame the program appears to be ending.

Offline gowing

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2018, 04:51:47 PM »
copied from the Bloodhound SSC website:

BLOODHOUND SSC is a unique, high-technology project to design and build a car that will break the 1,000mph barrier and set a new world land speed record. Designed and constructed in the UK, BLOODHOUND SSC includes components and sponsorship from international companies and will make its record attempt in South Africa.

We are sharing this international engineering adventure with a global audience. Why? Because we love science, technology, engineering and mathematics , and BLOODHOUND SSC shows how amazing – and fun – they can be!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2018, 08:39:00 PM »
Yea... the love of science, technology, engineering and mathematics..... I guess those folks that love that stuff need to get paid... and those of us in the real world know that science, technology, engineering and mathematics costs money... lots of money
 :dhorse:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2018, 04:13:55 PM »
The worst part about this whole thing,  is that for years the project has talked as if they had already done it.  I always shake my head when people are patting themselves on the back too hard before actually accomplishing anything.  The target 550 comes to mind... beautiful car though.  I'd rather be ugly and fast. 

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2018, 12:43:24 AM »
The worst part about this whole thing,  is that for years the project has talked as if they had already done it.  I always shake my head when people are patting themselves on the back too hard before actually accomplishing anything.  The target 550 comes to mind... beautiful car though.  I'd rather be ugly and fast. 

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
  Sid.

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2018, 09:27:11 AM »

All in all, all  of the vehicles in this discussion were built and may have great potential. It takes great commitment to build something on the scale of the Bloodhound, Target 550 and others. I respect that some will end up in the museum of unrealized potential. As a matter of fact my car fits in that category right now. But I really respect the fact that these people tried or are trying. 

In closing, I hope these teams keep working and building unique vehicles that they think will work.

ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2018, 04:01:08 PM »
The timing of the factors which brought to the public the Bloodhound SSC Project and decisions that were made are now difficult to ascertain (unless someone has kept all that has been written in a chronological archive).

In the book published with the help of the team in October 2012 it was clearly stated what the Bloodhound SSC Programme four prime objectives were - 1, Inspire a new generation of engineers. 2, Provide an iconic research and development programme with student access. 3, Exceed 1000mph (1609km/h) on land. 4, Generate substantial publicity and brand awareness for the sponsors.

A telling quote from the same book was "This new Project is unique in many ways, not least of which because it is a Land Speed Record attempt that is not really about speed at all …"

It was and perhaps still is an 'Engineering Adventure'
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2018, 06:11:25 PM »
You should get on "Live at the Apollo".

I'm a nice guy but you need a good hiding. :-D :wink:

NEWS FLASH. DEFUNCT BLOODHOUND POROJECT now owns South Africa!!!!!

PM me .

PM sent.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2018, 11:17:01 AM »
The true measure of good engineering is to achieve the desired results with a minimal number of complex and interdependent subsystems.

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2018, 05:15:03 AM »
The Business news this morning in the UK is that FRP Advisory have secured a new owner for the Bloodhound Programme. The buyer will make an announcement in the new year. The named buyer is Ian Warhurst who used to own a turbocharger manufacturing company.
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2018, 07:16:55 AM »
The Business news this morning in the UK is that FRP Advisory have secured a new owner for the Bloodhound Programme. The buyer will make an announcement in the new year. The named buyer is Ian Warhurst who used to own a turbocharger manufacturing company.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-46591860

Offline sabat

« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2018, 10:26:10 AM »
Hooray!  I wonder if the core team will remain in place.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2019, 02:24:49 PM »
This just showed up in my inbox.

Embargoed 13:00 GMT 21.03.19
Revitalised Bloodhound gets new livery and headquarters
Bloodhound project ready to move forward under new ownership
Financial stability will underpin sponsorship for world land speed record runs
Project renamed Bloodhound LSR as part of overall rebranding
Car and team move to new headquarters in heart of college campus

At today’s opening of the project’s new headquarters, the Bloodhound Land Speed Record (LSR) team announced they are firmly back on the trail of a world land speed record. Under the new ownership of Ian Warhurst, CEO of Grafton LSR Ltd, the freshly assembled Bloodhound LSR team will focus on completing development of the jet- and rocket-powered car and moving to the next phase of the programme – high speed testing – as soon as possible.

The new name, Bloodhound LSR, accompanies a complete rebranding of the programme. This includes a visual transformation of the car, which was revealed in a new striking red and white livery as she moves into her new home at SGS Berkeley Green University Technical College (UTC) on the Gloucestershire Science and Technology Park.

Grafton LSR Ltd CEO Ian Warhurst said: “Since buying Bloodhound from the administrators last December, the team and I have been overwhelmed by the passion and enthusiasm the public have shown for the project. Over the last decade, an incredible amount of hard graft has been invested in the project and it would be a tragedy to see it go to waste.

“Starting with a clean slate, it’s my ambition to let Bloodhound off the leash see just how fast this car can go. I’ve been reviewing the project and I’m confident there is a commercial business proposition to support it. I’ll provide robust financing to ensure there is cashflow to hit the high-speed testing deadlines we set ourselves.”

New headquarters
The UK Land Speed Record Centre at SGS Berkeley Green UTC provides a 975 square metre workshop facility in the heart of the college campus, fulfilling Bloodhound’s promise of delivering educational inspiration.

SGS Berkeley Green UTS group chief executive and executive principal Kevin Hamblin said; "We're excited that Bloodhound is joining us at Berkeley. To have such a groundbreaking engineering project on site which shares our philosophy to enthuse and encourage the next generation of engineers, designers and scientists, will be invaluable for our own students and also for thousands of young people across the region who will have an opportunity to visit the Gloucestershire Science and Technology Park over the next few years and see the car for themselves."

Team list
The Bloodhound LSR team is headed up by Ian Warhurst. Ian is joined by driver and current world land speed record holder Andy Green, engineering director Mark Chapman, chief financial officer Rick Sturge, operations director Martyn Davidson, commercial director Ewen Honeyman, and many of the original mechanics and technicians, providing continuity from the old programme to the new.

Former CEO Bloodhound Programme Ltd Richard Noble, said “It was a very hard fight to create the Bloodhound car, the largest STEM programme in the UK, the public engagement programme and the 1,000 man year desert preparation. Our weakness had always been finance and now after Administration, with Ian Warhurst the team finally has the financial support it needs to drive forward with confidence and achieve what we set out to do nearly 12 years ago.

Sponsorship and branding
The Bloodhound LSR car’s bare red and white livery is likely to change once the sponsorship team’s discussions over title branding opportunities with interested parties reach fruition. The iconic blue and orange livery from the R&D phase will live on in photos and film.

Grafton LSR commercial director Ewen Honeyman said: “With Ian providing the cashflow to keep the project on track, Bloodhound LSR is a very different sponsorship proposition to the blue and orange car. We’re already having detailed discussions with a number of organisations about exciting new sponsorship possibilities, as well as talking to those involved in the previous phase of the programme.”

- Ends -

For interviews and more information please contact:
Jules Tipler jules.tipler@graftonlsr.com / +44 (0) 7811 166 796

Assets will be uploaded to this Drop Box folder: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dtqvvzxhvgoq8t6/AABDUIn4wt0GimQwsbBFqvsDa?dl=0

Notes to editors
Timescales: Dates for both the high speed test runs and the world land speed record runs will be announced once operational and logistics planning is complete
1,000mph: Initially the target is to break the world land speed record (currently 763.035mph). This is necessary to understand how the car behaves as it enters the transonic stage initially and then supersonic speed levels. After that we will target the maximum design speed of around 1,000mph, taking into account the success and subsequent review of the first phase
Funding: The next phase of the Bloodhound LSR project will be funded through sponsorship and partnerships, with cashflow supported by the project’s investor, Ian Warhurst. Sponsorship opportunities include title and livery sponsorship for the first time
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 7707

« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2019, 02:45:26 PM »
Sorry but words are cheap. The proof is when it runs. Simple as that.
Current class record holder (A/BFRMR) at 258.679mph and i?m Just trying to go fast!

Look for our Facebook page ...  Geoff Stilwell

Offline noboD

« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2019, 02:54:58 PM »
Sorry but words are cheap. The proof is when it runs. Simple as that.
  True, but he put his money where his mouth is. Good luck to him.