Author Topic: Bloodhound latest news  (Read 48137 times)

Offline kiwi belly tank

Re: Bloodhound latest news
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2018, 06:29:27 PM »
It's sad to see the effort get so close and not make it. I hope this news causes some angel investor to save the project.

Due to low ROI, investors steer clear of LSR - a philanthropist is what's required.

The Aussie Invader is in a similar situation in that they're looking for funds as well.

Seems the NA Eagle is the only financially viable absolute contender still standing.
I believe it doesn't fit FIA regulations.
  Sid.

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2018, 04:48:05 PM »
3 wheels. It meets FIM. However, as long as they don't go for the FIM's goofy "instantaneous speed"it would be interesting. The F104 goes Mach 2 - so what are they waiting for?
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline salt27

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2018, 06:24:07 PM »
Not that it matters but I believe NAE has 5 wheels.

Offline ack

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2018, 11:02:48 PM »
The saddest part of this whole fiasco is that millions of dollars were squandered chasing this dream, dollars that could have funded many other interesting projects. I doubt any of the many sponsors will ever want to spend a dollar more on land speed attempts. Same holds true for the recent Triumph effort.

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2018, 01:46:34 AM »
Interesting to read how Bloodhound SSC has been seen from across the pond. May I remind readers that setting a new land speed record was never top of the list of goals for that project - enthusing new engineers was the top aim.

Some of us, [OK that's me], do not see the corporate effort by Triumph as being a truly 'British' land speed effort at the outright two wheel speed record. However, there are still three different UK based projects working towards taking Mike's and Rocky's record away from the USA.

These are the 52 Express (turbine wheeldriven), Angelic Bulldog (conventional m/c motors) and Jet Reaction (thrust power on two wheels). Each has used a different 'business model' to make progress towards running.

Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2018, 01:49:58 AM »
What happened to the Triumph project?

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2018, 02:43:34 AM »

First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2018, 02:56:20 AM »
The saddest part of this whole fiasco is that millions of dollars were squandered chasing this dream, dollars that could have funded many other interesting projects. I doubt any of the many sponsors will ever want to spend a dollar more on land speed attempts. Same holds true for the recent Triumph effort.

I agree 100* with Ack, how many times have we seen folks in "motor sports" with grandeous dreams "Expect" somewon else to fund them,, only to see them fail, leaving the person who has put his money on the line with a dirty taste in his mouth,,
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 06:24:39 AM by stay`tee »
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2018, 06:38:51 AM »

There is so little news in the UK.  My best guess is that it went back into a US facility for motor rebuilds (it ingested salt) and chassis check after it fell over with Guy at the controls. The deterioration of the salt has been given as a reason to wait out this year. 
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline martine

• Vero Drive - Advanced Driving Coaching
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2018, 07:39:09 AM »
Interesting to read how Bloodhound SSC has been seen from across the pond. May I remind readers that setting a new land speed record was never top of the list of goals for that project - enthusing new engineers was the top aim!
Absolutely Malcolm - and the education side (a separate charity) continues with many ambassadors working with schools and inspiring pupils.  Personally, I do many public bloodhounnd talks to interested groups and have several dates lined-up next year.  It's an interesting, fascinating story but would be better if the car continued.
Martin - Bloodhound LSR ambassador

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2018, 08:00:57 AM »
     All doesn't have to be lost or forgotten about.  There is much value in teaching that identifying and learning from the failures of the big project can be applied to other projects. 

An old co worker used to say - "Sometimes you just have to back up to get a better run on the hill"...........

Ed

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2018, 10:38:42 AM »
Malcom;

"Interesting to read how Bloodhound SSC has been seen from across the pond. May I remind readers that setting a new land speed record was never top of the list of goals for that project - enthusing new engineers was the top aim."

I rest my case.... if it wasn't their their primary goal, they sure spent a lot of money on secondary hardware. How "enthused" are those kids going to be now that their inspiration has failed before even getting to Africa? There are quite a few cars at SW that go faster than Bloodhound ever ran- and these cost far less to develop.

Failing and then excusing it by saying we really weren't trying is like the US Navy saying "We weren't really trying to launch a satellite." after the spectacularly failed launch of their Vanguard rocket.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2018, 11:05:20 AM »
Salt 27 - yes, I missed seeing those 2 small belly wheels before. Usually they were obscured by the sand screening  them at speed or from the camera angle. Sorry.
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline salt27

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2018, 12:22:05 PM »
Salt 27 - yes, I missed seeing those 2 small belly wheels before. Usually they were obscured by the sand screening  them at speed or from the camera angle. Sorry.

Mayoman, No need to be sorry, those wheels are hard to see.

I wonder if the two center wheels were placed there for structural concerns.

As they are placed about where the wings used to be that supported the aircraft when aloft.

Don

Offline gowing

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2018, 01:00:33 PM »
After the success of the Thrust SSC, I was curious and excited to see what next on the drawing board.
The bloodhound looked to be a logical successor to the "fastest" crown.

It wasn't long until it seemed that "fundraising" was a primary focus of the project, and I lost interest.
The 2017 test runs renewed my hopes that running the car was still a possibility, But now I suspect that it was a
publicity stunt in order to hopefully obtain more funding.

I find it interesting that the track was completed before the car.
 I don't think that I would have done things in that order (putting the cart before the horse), but I assume that their
management  had a valid reason at the time.

R.I.P. Boondoggle, I mean Bloodhound.