Author Topic: Bloodhound latest news  (Read 48146 times)

Offline comet

Bloodhound latest news
« on: December 07, 2018, 07:13:16 AM »
see BBC news link below. Sad news that Bloodhound SSC will go into liquidation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/c779dqq84njt/bloodhound-ssc

Offline sabat

Re: Bloodhound latest news
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 08:18:17 AM »
It's sad to see the effort get so close and not make it. I hope this news causes some angel investor to save the project.

Offline J79

• J79 Exhaust from a F4 Phantom II
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 01:09:38 PM »
Consider all the time and money invested and now it might end up in a museum? Bad news.
"My, people come and go so quickly here." Dorothy, from the movie Wizard of Oz.

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure, and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, 1874-1922.

From the movie Dr. Strangelove, General Jack D. Ripper:

"Mandrake, in the name of Her Majesty and the Continental Congress come here and feed me this belt boy... Mandrake, come over here, the Red Coats are coming!"

"He said war was too important to be left to the generals. When he said that, 50 years ago, he might have been right. But today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious "automotive" bodily fluids."

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 06:41:11 AM »
1,000 mph car for £250k ... bargain!  There must be someone out there ready to run with this project. 🐢

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 03:33:25 PM »
1,000 mph car for £250k ... bargain!

For that price the rolling chassis will come without any method of propulsion and possibly minus some other donated parts. The Administrators have still to to tell what items they have for sale.
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 03:53:26 PM »
1,000 mph car for £250k ... bargain!  There must be someone out there ready to run with this project. 🐢

I think it should read UNFINISHED 1,000 mph car for 250k
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 04:17:19 PM »
Maybe UNFINISHED and HOPED-FOR 1000-mph car . . .
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline tauruck

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 04:20:29 PM »
Well thank you Bloodhound project (BTW, named after a British missile built way back) for preparing the perfect surface for LSR at Hakskeen Pan.
Weird how stuff works hey?. South Africa and the Northern Cape thank you for providing employment to the hundreds of people that cleared the track. :cheers: :cheers:

Motor racing is tough. All the poor kids here that bought into the project are going to be disappointed.

Offline racergeo

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 04:37:37 PM »
   I hope B. Gates sees my post on Go Fund Me. I will let him be a co-driver if he springs for 10 mil.  :-D

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2018, 04:38:11 AM »
Well thank you Bloodhound project (BTW, named after a British missile built way back) for preparing the perfect surface for LSR at Hakskeen Pan.
Weird how stuff works hey?. South Africa and the Northern Cape thank you for providing employment to the hundreds of people that cleared the track. :cheers: :cheers:

Who owns the track?  I think Bloodhound had an agreement that no one else could use it before them.  Is it now available to others?

Offline tauruck

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2018, 06:54:54 AM »
You should get on "Live at the Apollo".

I'm a nice guy but you need a good hiding. :-D :wink:

NEWS FLASH. DEFUNCT BLOODHOUND POROJECT now owns South Africa!!!!!

PM me .

Offline JR529

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 12:50:37 PM »
I always wondered how they could burn through so much money and still have more. I guess they cant.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2018, 02:05:32 PM »
I think one of the problems they had was losing sight of the objective. It became a public relations project, publicity was its prime objective. It can be argued that publicity was necessary to entice contributions and vendor cooperation but they went too far in that direction. The necessary engineering and construction suffered de-emphasis due to the bandwagon management. For many years NASA suffered the same problems, they focused on publicity, "space camp", classroom science programs, and other Disneyland-style promotion. Too bad, it looks like Bloodhound will be all for naught.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2018, 03:32:20 PM »
It's sad to see the effort get so close and not make it. I hope this news causes some angel investor to save the project.

Due to low ROI, investors steer clear of LSR - a philanthropist is what's required.

The Aussie Invader is in a similar situation in that they're looking for funds as well.

Seems the NA Eagle is the only financially viable absolute contender still standing.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline tauruck

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2018, 06:13:29 PM »
I think one of the problems they had was losing sight of the objective. It became a public relations project, publicity was its prime objective. It can be argued that publicity was necessary to entice contributions and vendor cooperation but they went too far in that direction. The necessary engineering and construction suffered de-emphasis due to the bandwagon management. For many years NASA suffered the same problems, they focused on publicity, "space camp", classroom science programs, and other Disneyland-style promotion. Too bad, it looks like Bloodhound will be all for naught.

When they were here they had all the school kids invested and going nuts.