Author Topic: How to build a 2.0l G/BGMR  (Read 15838 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: How to build a 2.0l G/BGMR
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2018, 05:03:52 PM »
not much torque capacity an pretty lousy splits
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Wicked6

• New folks
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2018, 12:19:57 AM »
Sparky, excuse my lack of expertise on this WO throttle racing stuff, but I was thinking seeing as we are not after acceleration, just a, as quick as possible in 1 mile buildup of speed, the lower torque rating of this tranny would suffice. I think we are playing with a max 300 whp, we’re hoping it will do the job.
The ratio steps is another thing I guess we will have to live with.  :?
Thanks for following & giving input.
I started with nothing, I have most of it left.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2018, 07:18:54 AM »
its still a drag race---it just has one mile traps  except for the really fast guys  you need to get your speed and carry it for a mile   and you just realized the biggest thing--- nearly everything in LSR is a compromise and trade off
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 07:20:36 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Wicked6

• New folks
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2018, 06:28:08 PM »
Our ratios etc.

Offline racergeo

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2018, 10:24:39 PM »
  Hi, none of my business, but this site is a mentor. Sparky and others are just trying to do just that. These guys are great if you knew them and were face to face having a beer. It just doesn't always come across that way. If I would have had a mentor that had the years of experience that Sparky and other that post on here have I sure could have saved myself a lot of grief. Even though I now have a lot of experience from going  to the salt for years, being on this site and reading about ever post. If I knew what I know now my car would be a lot different and I would have saved a lot of money. I have a red hat and made a lot of friends that you can't put a price on, so its all worth it.  :-D    George

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2018, 11:28:41 PM »
How fast will the engine turn, and when will it begin to make good power? The transmission ratio choice must make your shift into direct (1.00:1) to drop the engine at or above that point.
The 5L40 shown is not helpful with its 1.60:1 3rd and 1.00:1 direct, that drops (example only) 8,000 RPM at shift out of 3rd to 5,000 RPM in direct. If your engine is not boiling at that speed, you need closer progression when the aero drag is highest.

Offline Wicked6

• New folks
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2018, 02:00:41 AM »
Racergeo, it is your business, and I’m so pleased to get the advice and explanations of those who have been there done that!
Panic, thanks for the explanation of what we’re going be hit with. March 2019 we should have the setup on a 160mph 800hp wheel dyno. We will find out then what we will have for power at the shift points.
Would a 2 speed powerglide be a better fit, or a turbo 350?
Just to reassure you all, we are committed to doing this, even if it looks to you that we’re wasting our time, we are not. Our thought going in, rightly or wrongly, is that if a Chevy Cobalt SS is advertised as a 160mph vehicle, if we put all that stuff in our contraption, safely, and within the rules, we will be happy with what we can do with it.
We’re doing this for our satisfaction of saying we ran at Bonneville. Some of us may not get that opportunity again.
So please keep on with your thoughts and suggestions, we really do appreciate it.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2018, 11:20:22 AM »
Panic has shown you the way:

To optimize you have to know what your eng. torque /RPM profile is

then chose a trans that will send you back to fat city on the last shift---you may have to over rev your best HP torque 

Then chose a tire/ RA (rear axle ratio) the will give you your target speed   add weight until you stop tire spin/  add HP until you get to the targeted speed

I was running a 565 BBC with a power glide/gear vendor, 7.5 with 2.14 and 25" tires   by shifting the thing at 8200  I was barely able to pull the first shift until it got back in the power ban but the last shift put me absolutely in "FAT CITY" on my engs power curve----  Yes we built the eng to be able to perform during that last gear from about 255 to 310

Offline Wicked6

• New folks
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2018, 04:41:07 PM »
A question for those who may know, does a modified roadster qualify for the 150mph club?

Offline tauruck

« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2018, 04:44:32 PM »
Racergeo, it is your business, and I’m so pleased to get the advice and explanations of those who have been there done that!
Panic, thanks for the explanation of what we’re going be hit with. March 2019 we should have the setup on a 160mph 800hp wheel dyno. We will find out then what we will have for power at the shift points.
Would a 2 speed powerglide be a better fit, or a turbo 350?
Just to reassure you all, we are committed to doing this, even if it looks to you that we’re wasting our time, we are not. Our thought going in, rightly or wrongly, is that if a Chevy Cobalt SS is advertised as a 160mph vehicle, if we put all that stuff in our contraption, safely, and within the rules, we will be happy with what we can do with it.
We’re doing this for our satisfaction of saying we ran at Bonneville. Some of us may not get that opportunity again.
So please keep on with your thoughts and suggestions, we really do appreciate it.

Go for it. Enjoy the learning curve. You're in good hands here. 👍👍👍👍

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2018, 10:29:57 PM »
A question for those who may know, does a modified roadster qualify for the 150mph club?

Pat... https://www.saltflats.com/I50_Club2015.htm
You need to read the rules and requirements.... then only you will be able to answer that question.  If you build it as a street legal car within the rules then probably yes... if you build it as a legal race car, then maybe yes... and either way you build it you can ask the USFRA to let you run in the 150 club. 
They are safety oriented... build it safe and within the 150 rules and I'll bet you and your buds will be fine. 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Wicked6

• New folks
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2018, 01:22:09 AM »
That says it all Robert. Thank you, we will need special permission because it is not a street legal car. It will be a legal race car!
We will see, we have 45 days ahead of the event to ask.
We build on.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2018, 10:48:20 AM »
If you build it as a legal LSR G/BGMR your group will be able it run it for less entry money than 150 club.  Each person is an entry in club racing... so far the USFRA does not charge for extra drivers like the SCTA does.
Of course it costs more to build a legal race car... but you can run it at more meets...
start taking pictures... we want to see what you do  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Wicked6

• New folks
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2018, 11:07:47 AM »
Stainless1, I would if I could! I have no luck posting pics on this forum. I have some stuff on the hamb, no problem, I have hundreds of pics on various model aircraft and model engineering sites, but this one has me miffed. :?

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2018, 11:14:00 AM »
we all fight that--  work with pixels and size  some use other sites and post links ---- have fun---when you have a bunch of buds to PLAY with the time in the sand box is a lot more fun