Author Topic: Goldenrod Book Sale for Landspeed Racers  (Read 4199 times)

Offline 2club

• New folks
Goldenrod Book Sale for Landspeed Racers
« on: December 01, 2018, 01:00:29 PM »
The  Goldenrod book is on sale for land speed racers at 10% off from now through Christmas. This 300 page photo-rich book details the history of the Summers Brothers racing vehicle and the Goldenrod. It includes over 600 color and B&W photos detailing the restoration performed by myself and Mike Cook. Get your copy today.https://goldenrodbook.com/

Offline TD

Re: Goldenrod Book Sale for Landspeed Racers
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 07:57:22 AM »
My Secret Santa gave me this for Christmas.  Great job, both on the car and on the book! :-) 

For background, the article on Goldenrod in the Hot Rod Magazine Yearbook #5 (1965) got me interested in LSR as a wee lad - I received the yearbook as a 9th birthday present and have it still.

One question I have after reading through quite a bit of the Goldenrod book last night:  Where and why was the car stored outdoors?

Thanks!
Tim

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 09:55:28 AM »
John, personally, was the Santa....he sent me his book as a great gift, thanks so much for that...Pork Pie
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 01:35:01 PM »
I have found several minor issues in the book  Al's speed for one
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline TD

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 10:28:02 AM »
Not to nag, but does anyone know, or is anyone willing to share, why and where the Goldenrod was stored outdoors?   

Thanks
Tim

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 11:50:48 AM »
It was indoors when it was at Dixon's Bonneville Museum in Wendover  way back when....  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline salt27

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2018, 10:25:14 PM »
It was indoors when it was at Dixon's Bonneville Museum in Wendover  way back when....  :cheers:

I saw it there in the early 80s.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2018, 06:05:10 AM »
a little bit longer story

...the Goldenrod was more or less forgotten for a while....after the hype with the jet car speed....
...so the streamliner stand for a longer time in Richard Dixon Museum (today Mike got his car part shop in there) in Wendover...also the paint work was red white blue for a while, when a group of people had interest to rent the racer for another attempt...
...when Richard shut down the museum the car went back to Bill Summers in Ontario
...at first he had the racer in his front yard in Ontario, outside as he had no indoor place...but it became to dangerous for the car to be damaged
...in the 90's he moved the car to Don Green...Don lived close to Cherry outside in the fields in a small cottage (the car twice as long as his place), he was the builder/owner of the Rat Trap quarter miler...Joy, Bill's wife was married at first with Don...
...again, the car was outside in the fields but safe, as Don also had no indoor place....well...normally in the US the garage is twice as big as the house....but not on Don's place
...the racer was there when I done a picture series of the car at Don's place in 1996....
...and (in the 90's) the public starts again interest into the Goldenrod....maybe a reaction of Al Teague's FIA record run....and Bill/Joy told me that Bill will go on exhibition tours with the car around the states to show the racer on car shows
...with the money Bill got from the car shows he found also a place to get the racer protected indoors
...in the later years, Bill and I meet us very often on car shows....and always we done the same fun....I climbed into the racer and Bill closed the canopy...so the visitors of the car show could see how it looks when the driver is inside...mostly Bill forgot that the lock release inside the canopy was broken and I had to remind him to get me out....meant, knocking on the windshield that he knew there is still someone inside.... :roll:

So the main reason for the racer to be outside, was missing space as the racer is a little bit longer and the missing interest for a long time from the public....

But as Bill said me one day....it was maybe good that the car was outside....after the racer run in 1965 at Bonneville he never was cleaned up properly...so the rain washed most of the salt off and the rust was not that bad.... :-D :-D :-D

The racer was once in Essen/Germany on the big Essen Car Show (Nina Rindt organized - the Essen Car Show starts originally as the Jochen Rindt Show)....

Another international appearance was in Goodwood/England on the car show of the Earl of March.....several other racers from the US were there...Jack Costella NT 3, Challenger 1, Betsy....it was on me to make all the contacts for the Earl...and it needs nearly 9 years to get it managed that the racers was finally seen at the show......

This for a little bit background what happens to the Goldenrod after the Bonneville runs....

Not to nag, but does anyone know, or is anyone willing to share, why and where the Goldenrod was stored outdoors?   

Thanks
Tim
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline lvsalt

• http://www.dcwaterjet.com
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 10:59:47 AM »
Also sat in Jim Prices yard in Vegas for awhile.
Gary Cole     DCWATERJET Z

Offline TD

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2019, 04:43:13 PM »
Thanks Pork Pie, thanks Gary -

That all makes sense.  Where do put your 50+ foot long surplus race car?   The good news is that the car has been preserved.  Hopefully I'll get a chance to see it up close some day.

Tim

Offline salt

• EMD2CLM - B2CLM
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2019, 07:25:17 PM »
I saw the Goldenrod in person on display at a shopping center in Hamburg, Germany, around 1981. Have a few photos.
Who Has More Fun?