Author Topic: Found today in Hemmings Daily  (Read 11169 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Found today in Hemmings Daily
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2018, 09:25:00 PM »
...  You do have a very good point on the side of the highway we should be considering running on, however. Going where the salt is stashed is not a bad point at all. I might be mistaken, but I recall reading a while back in Intrepid's contract that the SALT was to be redeposited back on the flats.

We all need to look into the political motivations that are deflecting the potential solutions to get the SALT back on the flats. :roll:

Regards to all,
HB2 :-)

Herold... they are a LLC.... I suspect when all of the salt is depleted and it is no longer profitable to strip mine the flats, they will run out of money before 10 tons are brought back and cease to exist. :x

« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 10:46:48 PM by Stainless1 »
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2018, 09:54:35 PM »
I once found reference to an Intrepid Salt company.  I'm sure it didn't have any relation to the Utah facility.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2018, 10:35:19 AM »
I honestly don't know why all of you are hating on Brenda Bowen.

Because she's an idiot for including something that's probably the equivalent of two drops in the ocean in her list of things responsible for depleting the salt.  Dragging the course is causing salt depletion?  Really?  Did she include the salt that collects on her shoes every time she walks out there?  Or however much might stick to the foot of a bird after it lands on the salt and then flies away?  I'm sure lots of birds land on the salt every year and take salt away with them - probably at least a few grams so why isn't that on here list?  Or what about the salt that was lost when Will Smith dragged his movie parachute across the salt while filming Independence Day in 1996?  Why didn't she include those equally insignificant depletion contributors? 

It's a real easy argument in favor of killing the salt - it's for the greater good for humanity.  Pot ash makes fertilizer and fertilizer makes food and food feeds hungry mouths across the world.  In the grand scheme of things, us and our sport is really nothing in comparison to what harvesting pot ash actually accomplishes.  We can't seriously argue that what we do is actually more important that feeding people and that's the truth.  Intrepid will never go way, salt harvesting will never stop.  All we can hope for is that they keep a special natural resource from completely going away and letting us play on it a couple times a year. 
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2018, 01:17:51 PM »
The mining operation will not stop until the profit margin goes away, at which time they will close the doors & move on just like Magcorp did at Knolls.
I'm resigned to the fact that we just have to do the best we can with what is there & don't be surprised by the continuing decline.
All the testing & inspecting I've personally done on the salt was to educate myself, weed out the bull$hit & hopefully enlighten others to the real truth but nothing will change because we all live in a people farming world.
Do the best you can inside your farm & avoid the slaughter house.
  Sid.