Author Topic: Found today in Hemmings Daily  (Read 11167 times)

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
Re: Found today in Hemmings Daily
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2018, 07:13:30 AM »

We saw hundreds of train cars full of salt leaving every year during SpeedWeeks in the 70's, 80's and 90's, My guess the last 15 years they stopped shipping while the folks that were bitching about the salt going away were around. 
Was there any doubt Brenda would not blame the strip miners?  :dhorse:

Just to repeat what I have been saying all along:

Fishing, logging, and MINING, are extractive industries.    SOME of these industries may be sustainable, say fishing, on a shorter than human lifespan timescale.   Others, logging for instance; and let's call it what it really is, timber extraction; may require several human lifespans to replenish or sustain.

Mining, however, "extracts" at such high and destructive rates, that "renewal", "replenishment" or "sustainability" can only be achieved on a "GEOLOGIC" time frame, IF EVER.

And yes, that means a time frame of thousands, if not tens of thousands of years . . . . . . .   Far to long for even any of our grandchildren to see POSITIVE results . . . . . . .

And in the meantime, government subsidies and ridiculously low "lease" rates, (at taxpayer expense), ensure profitability for corporations engaged in these "extractions".

Call it what you like, but it is really:  Corporate "welfare" at its' finest.

If you expected the results of the study to point to extractive industry as the causative factor/culprit in the "diminishment" of the salt crust, well, I don't think that there is anything that anyone can say, that will help you to understand the real purpose of the BLM.

The purpose of the study was to:

A/  Shift responsibility from an industry that is 99.9% responsible for the "depletion"
2/  Create additional and false responsibility among "additional users" of the resource
d/  Obfuscate all other issues with a studied focus on superficial and other insignificant topics.

I'll leave it to you to determine on to whom to focus the "blame".

:dhorse:  :dhorse:  :dhorse:  :dhorse:  :dhorse:
Realityboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2018, 12:37:31 PM »
Ford Boy:

You are correct. I remember your post way back and had the same feelings. They will project the blame on racers and the 1/2 of one percent idiots in the world that cut doughnuts and drive on the salt when flooded  to water ski  !

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline tauruck

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2018, 01:21:16 PM »
Give me her details> I'm too far away for her to "GET" me. :cheers:

Offline DRW

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2018, 02:14:29 PM »
That Report seems like total B.S.  I have never seen any trash , Any spilled fluids stain, Digs into the salt, Nothin !
But in 2018 The salt was so nice and hard packed I saw Black Burnout lines ,That was a first for me ..
But Never any damage, Come on
Oh, And when we first pulled up on Friday ,There was someone to the left of the road before the boat ramp stuck deep in the salt in a U-Haul truck, Im talking way out to the left, And they did not look like racers , Thats the kind of people doin damage..
Doesnt Mean That Much To me, To Mean That Much To You !

Offline noboD

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2018, 02:33:54 PM »
But even if every car that spun donuts or got stuck being a dick took 100 pounds away from the salt it still would not equal several inches or feet over the whole surface. Let's put blame where it belongs, with the mining operation.

Offline mabsmeier

• New folks
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2018, 03:04:29 PM »
I honestly don't know why all of you are hating on Brenda Bowen. Her study clearly states that the largest impact has been from potash extraction.
"The most quantified human cause of change as listed in the report, however, falls to potash mining at the Bonneville Salt Flats. Intrepid Potash, which leases the flats from the Bureau of Land Management, regularly mines the flats by draining brine from the northern part via a series of ditches and canals, then allowing the water to evaporate in ponds on the southern part. While some of the salt is sold off, most of it is considered a waste product from the production of potash, which is used largely for fertilizer.
According to the report, from 1960 through 2016 “it is possible that more than 17-million tonnes of NaCl were removed,” about 30 percent of the estimated 56-million tonnes of salt that the Bonneville Salt Flats lost during that period, as determined by a companion report. That doesn’t include the countless tons of salt removed from the flats since potash mining began there in 1917".

I believe racing has had a pretty insignificant role in the salt loss but, to believe it has had zero impact on the ecosystem is foolish. I think Hemmings decision to use racing as an example of what's causing salt loss in it's headline is misleading.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2018, 02:05:02 PM »
 ...or as our esteemed Dict.. or I mean President would say, "She was bleeding... all over the Salt...et al.) What a f*cking dufus (both of them.)
                                                                                     Bob Drury
Bob Drury

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2018, 06:54:47 PM »
Please consider the basics of the salt on the flats equation.

1) The pumping project(s) can be effective if TIME and VOLUME allowed is both long and huge.
2) Very briney water (high concentration of salt per water voume) returns more salt after the liquid evaporates than does lower concentrations of salt per water volume
3) The salt laydown/recovery can be considerably improved if TONS of NaCl (salt crystals) are RETURNED to the flats north of the highway AND orchestrated with the pumping program......
4) The salt reserves south of the highway stashed by the various mining efforts belong to the areas NORTH end of the highway anyway.

This whole issue has become more based on politics and political correct comments than actually solving the problems of getting MORE SALT redeposited in the north side of the highway.

In a very distorted way, Intrepid Mining has been very good about SAVING THE SALT, it just happens to be in the wrong place!

Thanks for even reading yet another plea for logic to be applied to the old white dyno. Less brunches and lunches for posturing and positioning and more support for direct action! Yeah I guess that is not a politically correct statement either. Deal, brothers and sisters, deal. :-o

Regards,
HB2 :-)
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another.

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2018, 09:56:22 AM »
If you win $850 million in the P-ball and go after them in about 15 years the judge will say two words, "National Security!" and you will be out some big bucks! (Potash is used in munitions!)  :-( :cry:

No one will ever move the salt for us or anyone else!  :dhorse: :dhorse: :dhorse:
Look on Google Earth - we are just racing on the wrong side of the freeway!  :x :x :x :x
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2018, 12:40:42 PM »
So when I was racing on the Bonneville Salt Flats in 1970, 1971, 1972, and 1974 I was depleting the salt pan. Sorry I screwed it up for you guys. Or is she FOS?
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline tauruck

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2018, 12:44:10 PM »
She must be. Someone buy her a cat or something????.
Could send her a hungry Leopard if you guys spring for shipping?. :-D :-D :-D

Online Elmo Rodge

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2018, 02:11:01 PM »
Mike, do you have a rough estimate of shipping costs?  :roll:   :cheers:
Wayno

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2018, 03:36:20 PM »
Some years ago Rick Vesco and the STS group tried to gate the entry road to the salt and was turned down. More BS from the BLM and others that said no.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2018, 07:01:01 PM »
Yo Woody and others that may be interested,

No sir, potash is not used in modern munitions. Perhaps an important additive for fertilizers but not modern day weaponry. You do have a very good point on the side of the highway we should be considering running on, however. Going where the salt is stashed is not a bad point at all. I might be mistaken, but I recall reading a while back in Intrepid's contract that the SALT was to be redeposited back on the flats.

We all need to look into the political motivations that are deflecting the potential solutions to get the SALT back on the flats. :roll:

Regards to all,
HB2 :-)

If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another.

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2018, 08:00:44 PM »
Granted, the percent used in munitions is small compared to fertilizer and may only be a derivative of potash but would still be irrelevant to the presiding judge!  :roll:

Somewhere I read that WWII munitions used more than today's more exotic mixtures - cannot find the source but it was a gummit paper like this one!

https://minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/potash/560400.pdf
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz