Author Topic: shipping companies  (Read 3919 times)

Offline neandethal

shipping companies
« on: November 27, 2018, 03:05:02 AM »
Hi,
Having competed and set a record this year, i have been building a 100cc turbocharged sidecar to challenge 2 more next year.
My challenge and request for help is related to getting the bike back to the UK. I can find many UK based companies that will ship the bike to the US and do all the needed paperwork and customs but they wont do the return journey.
Not worried about how long it takes as once the record is set the bike can takes its time to come home.

Any help or experiences on agents/freight forwarders etc gratefully received, regards Ian
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 03:50:41 PM by neandethal »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: shipping companies
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 10:55:13 PM »
You could leave it here and race it for several years.... 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline comet

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 02:54:35 AM »
Hi Neandethal,
I recently found a couple of shipping companies that would take care of the business on a return route. The cost was pretty substantial. I also fell down somewhat when 2 of the companies told me they need to see the V5C registration docs for my 1951 race bike. Special construction, hasn't seen road tarmac since about 1960 and has not been road registered in about the same period as it would not be allowed anywhere near the road. It also looked very difficult for me to ship a bike out there and leave it for a prolonged period, say 18 months; so that I could race it on the salt twice without having to ship it back and forth in between.
Other than that they were pretty helpful, I will try and dig out some details for you on who I contacted. I know there are a couple of other guys on this forum that have experience of shipping from the UK to the salt so hopefully they can chip in with some info too. ( Don't forget your halth insurance too.)

Cheers
John

Offline comet

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 09:49:02 AM »
Here is a link to one of the companies I spoke to a couple of months ago. James Cargo.
https://www.jamescargo.com/motorcycles/index.php

Offline neandethal

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 01:30:24 PM »
The motorcycle i raced this year, did have to be left in the country but that was due to me sending it in cardboard boxes disassembled and i have left this with a great friend who will get a legal US title for it, ill buy it off him and legally re-import to the UK, as the parcel route is too hard from the US to UK.

Thanks Comet, i tried James cargo, and they turned up their toes when it came to no logbook. Am currently working with Davies Turner and Shippio. Shippio do work for Bonhams Auctions and so have experience of no logbook. It shouldn't be an issue the EPA form covers it under section 8 Code L, but seems to put people off.

I am building a streamliner for 2020, and that i will try and permanently leave out there as the engine bay is modula, so each year i ship a new engine to fit in to challenge another class. Or so the theory goes, and have a duplicate engine bay in uk to test fit it all in.

Have been advised Rinkens do return trips, as 1stMove will ship out but cannot do return. Thanks for input so far - i will return in 2019, somehow!

Offline maj

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 02:52:07 PM »
I have my bikes shipped the other direction, but use a logistics company to organise the shipping and documentation, happens pretty easy,
simplest is to have enough bikes to use your own shipping container, 4 usually makes it worthwhile in costs
otherwise the logistics just place it on a ship going to the port you requested, there is always containers of mixed goods with space for another crate (as long as its no oil, no fuel, battery disconnected and terminals isolated so you dont ship as dangerous goods and a metal frame crate is easier than wood )
In the US i use Lemans
http://da-en.leman.com/

They will have a branch or other company they work with at the other end (In Australia for me its AllPorts logistics) so there is a local person dealing with customs and port at each end 

Offline neandethal

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 01:05:26 PM »
I have found a reasonable local company called CCL logistics who are taking me seriously and not phased by lack of logbook, have quoted for outbound trip andits sensible just waiting for return to UK leg but looking good, thanks for your responses guys.

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 01:48:04 PM »
I would highly recommend against building a 100cc turbocharged sidecar bike - I hear the competition is fierce!  :-D (or is that farce?)

FYI, we were happy to push the record to 48+mph this year. Dad wants to come back again and try to bump it to 50, so I have a bit of engine and aero work to do yet.
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 05:08:31 PM »
I would highly recommend against building a 100cc turbocharged sidecar bike - I hear the competition is fierce!  :-D (or is that farce?)

FYI, we were happy to push the record to 48+mph this year. Dad wants to come back again and try to bump it to 50, so I have a bit of engine and aero work to do yet.

You guys and your sidecar scoot are legendary second only to some guy from down under on a native american machine that ran on determination!  :) That AA/GALT ride is probably boring after a trip across the salt on the 50CC sidecar.

ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline comet

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 04:02:19 AM »
Revolutionary, what bike were you running this year?
Were you guys the little yellow outfit?