Author Topic: November meet thanks to John Noonan  (Read 3131 times)

Offline sabat

November meet thanks to John Noonan
« on: November 14, 2018, 03:14:28 PM »
I want to thank John Noonan for his generosity and help at the El Mirage meet last weekend. He went above and beyond, and I can’t thank him enough, so I’m making it public here.

I had hoped to trailer out my bike for this meet. Unfortunately, I had pushed the schedule too tight, and when the valvejob wasn’t done on time, the plan fell apart. I’ll leave more room next time.

Anyway, I had the time set aside, and wanted to race, so I contacted John. He had mentioned last year that he had a 2008 street Hayabusa that was SCTA legal that I could ride if I ever needed to. Despite the fact that he was busy as heck running his business, and working on two of his race bikes for the meet, he agreed without hesitation. I booked a flight and rented a pickup and got the bike on Thursday. He and Bones (also a first-class gent) worked late that night finishing up and getting to the event.

On the lakebed, he was extremely helpful, and made sure I had all my paperwork in order. Because this was an M-class bike, the record was within reach at 187, as no one had yet brought out a purpose-built bike. For comparison, the Bonneville record is 223, held by the late Fred Vance.

The conditions were good, and I went 190 on the limiter. John’s street bike, with just pipe and mapping, is a beast. John (and Bones, and Jim Higgins) all helped me get the bike through impound on Saturday. 

One more person I need to thank is Dave Consalvo, who agreed last year to let a guy he’d never even met fly out and ride his bike at El Mirage. This enabled me to run my rookie meet and license up for this year. Also, he held the 187 record, and was the first to congratulate me. Land speed racers are good people.

I had a great weekend, talked with a lot of friends and made some new ones, and I owe it to John, so thanks.

Dean   :cheers:

Offline Speed Limit 1000

Re: November meet thanks to John Noonan
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 07:58:58 PM »
Way to go John :cheers: That separates LSR from most other sports 8-)
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 10:16:39 PM »
Dean, sounds like you had a great team backing you up... Congrats on the record
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 01:27:38 AM »
Congratulations on your record Dean! And Accolades to John for being so generous to you as he has been to me in the past. John has helped me and my entire team of two several times at Elmo and at Bonneville. He is a great guy and a great racer.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 12:06:00 PM »
John took the time maybe 10+ years ago to explain his bike to my son at Bonneville and this was in impound. It meant the world to my boy and I. We were just looking and I had told my son not to bother anyone because they didnt have much time to work on the bikes. John started the conversation

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 01:40:54 PM »
What are you guys talking about?  It's no big deal!

Well, no, that's not right.  Thanks very much to John Noonan.  Lending a bike and support is way cool, Dean.

But I wasn't all that surprised.  I can name a LONG list of racers that have helped me over the years -including the likes of Cliff Gullett -- and I like to think that I'll be included in someone else's list, too.

Isn't this stuff written right there in the rules -- that we're all in this together?

:-D :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 04:38:09 PM »
In 2006 a number of Americans had ventured south to run at Lake Gairdner,, Salt was very wet that year akin to mashed potatoe,, Ran my first official 200+mph speed,, John, whom I had never met went outta his way and stopped me on the return road to offer his congratulations  :cheers:
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,