Author Topic: Australian Jaguar Build  (Read 53538 times)

Offline Lynchy

Re: Australian Jaguar Build
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2009, 05:46:48 AM »
Again, been a while. Time to post some photo's of the engine in position and the exhaust half built:

The motor is slightly lower than the roof (about 2-3 inches)

Lynchy

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2009, 10:28:39 AM »
It is starting to look pretty serious!!! Do you plan to add a shroud aroung the blower for a little streamlining?

Amazing on these projects when you get all of the big parts stacked together and someone looks at it and says "you are almost done!" Not even close it is all of the hundreds of small details that really take the time but you sure are looking good!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Lynchy

« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2009, 06:02:18 PM »
Rex

There's a safety shroud for the blower belt and there will be some kind of scoop but we need to find something around the right size that looks good....?

When the V12 goes in all will be under bonnet as it will be twin (or large single) turbo. It should fit in front of the motor.

Yeah, you're right with the amount of work on the details. Wiring, fuel system, dyno, engine management, fire system, sand blast the whole thing and paint it, windows...... then the hood ornament.

Lynchy

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2009, 06:14:26 PM »
Lynchy, it's looking good, Always a lot of work and details to do.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Lynchy

« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2009, 02:06:34 AM »
I got the 120 day posting warning so again it's been a while.........

There's been more work done on the Jag so here's some photo's

We wanted to install some ballast and Gary came up with the idea of mounting it in the sills. So he cut a big piece of angle to be welded in on top of the sill with a long slot cut in it. The ballast will be lead poured into the 100x100 tube on the ground next to the car. It should end up weighing around 220-240 pounds per side. The slot allows the ballast to be moved forward or backward depending on how the wheel weights end up when the car is finished. The tube has nuts welded into it that allow it to be bolted in place when it is in the right position. There will be sill extensions put on the car when the bellypan goes in. It could have been done different with less adjustment but we're not sure of what will be needed??

Here's a couple of other photo's of it:

The other thing that we've gotten done is the bonnet

There is a shroud to go over the belt and the hole has been enlarged. We we're thinking of running a scoop but will leave it naked to start with for qualifying because it looks pretty good! It makes a good hood ornament! Down the track the Jag V12 will be underbonnet.

So there you go. I'll post some more when we get the front bar on.

Lynchy

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2009, 09:36:29 AM »
Looks like you've been busy for those 120 days.  Clever idea on the ballast, and I agree about the hood ornament.

Chris
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2009, 12:44:35 PM »
Lynchy;

"We wanted to install some ballast and Gary came up with the idea of mounting it in the sills."

It sounds like you got that idea from watching the movie "The French Connection"  :-D

I've always wondered why no one brought an XJ-S to Bonneville; the frontal area is fairly low and it should be a good shape for a stock class car.

I visited the UK years aga and stumbled upon the Lister Works. They gave me a very nice tour of their facility and I was impressed with what they were doing to hot rod the Jaguar V12.

Good luck with your effort: I look forward to seeing your XJ-S run at Bonneville!

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Lynchy

« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2009, 07:27:09 PM »
I've always wondered why no one brought an XJ-S to Bonneville;

According to Keith Turk there was an XJS that visited Bonneville. I just went to the link that I had for the website but it is now gone. It was a turbo'd Chev motor putting out a stupid amount of horsepower. I think it had a standard rear end and bodywise looked stock. I thought it did 245mph but the link said 220...? Our goal originally was to crack 200, then Keith told us about the other XJ-S so we'd like to go a bit faster than it.

The specs are good - standard Cd is around 0.39, we've chopped the top 3 inches and lowered the car to belly button level and shaved everything no longer needed, the top of the roof is about 40-41 inches tall (the injection hat is about 36). The mirrors are gone, the glass will be flush and it will have a bellypan. The stock underside of the car is fairly clean though. The rear is really nice, it tapers in at the rear + the top and bottom both taper in as well so it has a clean exit from the wind.

It will be a fun car once we get it going.

Lynchy

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2009, 08:02:47 PM »
Lynchy;

Good luck with your Jaguar project; I look forward to seeing it run on the salt. I had an '85 XJ-S street car and really liked it. It was a great highway cruiser. The V12 torque was like an electric motor.

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2009, 10:20:18 PM »
  You gotta put the Cat on the hood for tradition. [only take it off if you get close to a record and need the last breath of air]. Looks really good so far. Love the ballast idea.
Doug :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Lynchy

« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2009, 12:02:47 AM »
Neil - I think this one is an 85 as well, close to it anyway. Just reread your post. We're in Australia so not much chance of it running at Bonneville unless we win lotto.

Doug - We got a lot of footage of your car from Norm Hardinge's video. Loooooove all the guages, you'd have to be a fly to take all that data in! I will get a hood ornament for the car (I've got to pay for something!) but probably won't worry while the motor is poking through. We talked about a scoop but what fun is that? There's not a lot of blown cars that get down to our lake so you want to see it! I can't wait to hear it. The last car it was in had 3 mufflers and it was still extreme. This is straight out the pipes! The crew will need ear protection.

Lynchy

« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 12:07:18 AM by Lynchy »

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2009, 08:38:29 PM »
Lynchy,
   I can only see about two of the guages. The helmet view with the restraints and harness restricts the movement. We didn't take that into consideration when we put the car together. [An error in the Budweiser engineering]. We mount a video camera on the shoulder bar of the cage and focus it on the guages of importance at the time and record the data [and sound] for later review. Now that we have the EFI fuel system, the data log takes care of that, so the camera is redundant. I've heard talk that they are going to point the camera at me and see if I'm doing my job while in top gear. Probably catch me texting my Daughter or taking a nap before it's time to pull the chute. You'll like the way the Jag handles at speed. All we've done really hasn't hurt it. The Brits did a good job of design.
Doug :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline GearSpeedKelvo

• GEARSPEED MOTORSPORTS OWNER
  • ORGANIZING THE FIRST PHILIPPINE LAND SPEED RACE
    • GEARSPEED MOTORSPORTS
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2009, 08:29:16 AM »
All I can say is wow. :-o

Organizing the FIRST Philippine Land Speed Racing
Making the FIRST Philippine Land Speed Race Car on a Honda Civic
GearSpeed Motorsports' FIRST Race Car
PLSRA Philippine Land Speed Racing Association
Lot 6 Block 11 Buencamino St. BF Homes Subdivision Alabang Muntinlupa City
Contact number 807-13-95/09177941980

Offline Lynchy

« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2009, 07:37:39 PM »
Took some more photo's recently when we fitted up the front bar. It is the rear bumper off an Aussie 1999 Ford Falcon. It works pretty well for the front of the Jag. The bar will be attached at the sides and front and when the fasteners are released it slips off towards the front. The bracing behind the bar will double as the front jacking point.

The sides were yet to be completed when I took the photo's... they are probably done now.

Offline Lynchy

« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2011, 08:02:18 PM »
Again, it's been a long time between drinks...this time over 120 days... time for another update

So, since October 2009 a fair bit more has happened. Big Gaz and I came over to Bonneville and worked in tech inspection so we got to meet a few of the posters here. Rex - what happened to the shirt from Salt Talks? Never mind, it's yours! We had a great time and Gaz spent spent a heap of money propping up the American economy via the aftermarket speed equipment industry. We came back to Oz with a lot of info on how we can improve our event and have already implemented a fair bit of it ready for our upcoming event.

Back to the car. Most recently Gary has added in more safety items from knowledge picked up in teching cars for Bonneville and also from discussions with Kiwi Steve, Lee Kennedy, the guys from DJ Safety and other racers. BY the way, big thanks to Steve and Lee for looking after us so well! So he's installed the NASCAR roof flap, added in bars around the helmet and also added in a window net.

The roof flap:

This is the underside. The flap is connected into the roll cage for strength and the cables are inside the rear tubes.

Next up was the head restraints

They are made from exhaust tubing and slip over mounts welded to the cage. These are bolted in place but can be removed when working on the car or when cruising. The car is being set up with a passenger seat and the suspension can be raised for participating in other Aussie events like Powercruise.

Next up was the seat belt mounts. We learned that the best way to mount these was to limit the length of the belt to the minimum and provide plenty of room around them so they don't rub on any metal. So the opening in the seat has been enlarged and when they are pulled down there is no chance of moving and minimal ability to breath!!

The window net. Gary thought long and hard about how to set up the net so that it was easy to drop and get in and out of the car plus provided full coverage of the doorway in the event that the door gets lost ... We checked out the damage to the silver Pontiac??? that went over during Speed Week last year and have seen that the doors are the first bits to go. He's used straight rod to hold the net and welded in wobble bars from a socket set to articulate the joints.

Gary also decided that as the car is a Jag then he should add in a wooden steering wheel and will probably apply some wood grain vinyl sheeting in the interior so he's got something nice to look at while he's waiting for the push car!! Old Jag joke...

a new boss was machined up so that the stock Jag steering column was able to be used. It has adjustable reach so was worth keeping. It also had to be able to accept the quick release for the wheel. Here are all the parts

and the finished item:

The steering column drop had to moved to the inside of the car about an inch to allow the drivers gloves to clear the roll cage. This then led to Gaz mounting the fluid reservoirs for the brakes and clutch and finalising the bar that the column drop mounts to.

That's about it for now. He's also finished off the cover for the clutch slave cylinder and is now looking at making up a switch and fuse panel for the console in the car.

Stay tuned, there will be more updates in the future.

Lynchy