Author Topic: Australian Jaguar Build  (Read 53540 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: Australian Jaguar Build
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2007, 11:25:31 AM »
The roof of the Jag is quite small in comparison to the size of the flaps so we see two on the roof as they are laid out and we are wondering whether to fit one to the boot lid. We've got the flap spare and it will be easy to fit to the boot so???? Any opinions??? We are also still thinking whether to have the flaps open via air pressure (as per NASCAR) or via mechanical means (as per Hooleys Stude)..............

I think the air pressure is fine, but I would only do it if you put the ducts in the side windows so that as the car gets sideways it pressurizes the flap pockets and starts to open them. We didn't do that and decided to go with the spring to get them opening and that meant a manual latch.  I might look at a way for them to lift naturally, but also have a captive spring that would engage them also any time the chute is released.

Last year and this year the car never did spin 360 degrees, but in 2006 if you watch the video at one point the back of the car was facing down course and the flap did deploy all the way then.  This year I don't think it deployed all the way.

Here are two videos you might want to look at.  In the first the black Camaro was near backwards it looks like before it lifted.  In the other the car actually went all the way around once and it looks like it lifted when it had the full side of the car to the air.  A car sideways to the air can make a pretty good airfoil also.  Nothing is for sure, but anything you can do is good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk5DTlgAtt4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5jSA4VF0kY

One final thing, if the driver thinks he is loosing it get the chute out.  That is the safest thing you can do.  Chances are he isn't going to save it and it is a lot better to get back in line for another run than go home with a broke car and/or driver.

You guys are doing a good job,

Sum

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2007, 02:12:31 PM »
Lynchy,
Great engineering and damn nice fabrication. Can't wait to see it finished. Love the ride height! One inch!!!!

You will probably need to do s0me CFD on that hood ornament thuogh!

Beautiful!!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Lynchy

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2007, 03:24:54 AM »
Thanks Guys, I'll pass on your messages to Big Gaz (Owner, Builder, Driver, Accountant!).

Scary videos for sure, that's what we want to avoid at all costs! Funnily enough, all the other videos that came up around these ones were women drivers crashing in silly ways???

Rex - The mascot has been real-time wind tunnel tested by thousands of jags at half race speed and found to produce lift in the owners wallet! We are calculating where to position ours to get our Cg ahead of our Cp.    :-o

Sum - As everyone else is saying, "Get back in the workshop!"  :lol:

Lynchy

Offline chota

• New folks
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2007, 01:02:43 AM »
Does anyone know how fast that black Camaro was going at lift off? Is there a magic speed at which a spin becomes a roll?

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2007, 06:37:36 AM »
can't help on the Camaro speed....but this car which has been a regular at the Lake Gairdner meet here in OZ is owned by Mark Bryan , a great guy from Murray Bridge in Sth Australia

[/img]

he got it a bit out of shape last year...at 175mph

it left skidmarks for nearly half a mile........but he said it didn't once feel like it was going to roll and a lot of that time it was side-on......here he is reflected in the side glass

the same year he pulled into the pits and one of his crew said "what happened to the back window?"............he hadn't noticed but it had sucked out and was all over the track....
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 09:11:22 PM by Dr Goggles »
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2007, 11:50:31 AM »
Does anyone know how fast that black Camaro was going at lift off? Is there a magic speed at which a spin becomes a roll?

The info I had was about 235, but that doesn't really mean anything as every car could be different and react differently. 

Hooley with the Stude has been around as far as 180 degrees and so far the car has stayed on the ground.  We added a roof flap a couple years ago and have hoped that it helped.  Our CP is about 8 inches in front of our CG and we are going to try and increase that distance this next year and add 500-1000 more lbs. of weight.  We are at about 4500 now and right at 50/50 front/rear distribution.

The main thing is that if the car starts to get very far around don't count on saving it. Get the chute out and at least stay in one piece and get back in line.  Once you start to loose the car the chances of correcting are going to get very slim.  I'm not talking about a little wheel spin and the back end moving around a little.  You will know when.

c ya,

Sum

Offline Lynchy

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2007, 09:08:17 PM »
it left skidmarks for nearly half a mile........but he said it didn't once feel like it was going to roll and a lot of that time it was side-on......

I remember hearing either Mark or someone else saying that he went out to check the skid marks and because there were 4 at all times he was happy. Also, it would be hard to imagine an old XW Falcon getting airborne as they have the aero of a brick! They do get light in the nose at high speed though!! I'd heard that the chin spoiler while looking cheap and nasty was supposed to be able to pull the front down a substantial amount.

I spend a little bit of time on the Falcon GT website (I used to have an XW GT) and they post about top speeds in the 140s to 150s so I posted a note that this XW had done 180mph.......no response. No sense of humour those guys!

Lynchy

Offline Lynchy

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2008, 12:24:24 AM »
It's been a while hasn't it?

I thought I'd post some recent photo's of the Jag:

The diff is in, the fuel tank and battery mount is in, part of the bellypan is in, the fire extinguishers are in, the rear has been sheeted, the push bar is in, the driver (& passenger) seats are in. The motor is going in over the next few weeks!

Lynchy

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2008, 10:00:26 AM »
G'Day Mate: Just thought I'd send along a little Christmas encouragement. We started a project two years ago for Bonneville. We started with a 1984 XJ6 more-dor sedan. [with the steering on the other side]. Having been old time drag racers from here in the states, we are old Buick power nuts. We decided to look at the XO engine class', so we built a 1947 Buick inline 8 for the Jag and backed it up with a Tremec 5 speed and the Jag rear. Nothing is off the shelf for the car. No one makes any chassis stuff for the Jag, and none for the old Buick either. Anyway, we took it to the Salt this year and set the XO/BGC record at 151.508. We surprised [and encouraged ] ourselves, and hope to go back even faster next year. We're really having fun now. Hope you make it to the Salt someday. By the way, do you know my buddy from here in Montana that runs his two jet cars down your way at the drag races? Chuck Haynes and the Gravity Storm and the Volcano. Raced with him up here for years [and drank much beer together]. Doug
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2008, 09:53:27 PM »
I spend a little bit of time on the Falcon GT website (I used to have an XW GT) and they post about top speeds in the 140s to 150s so I posted a note that this XW had done 180mph.......no response. No sense of humour those guys!
Lynchy

Pre speed limit days my brother was getting a lift with the local Ford dealer home to the bush and they were on the Hume highway near Seymour when a cop chased them and pulled them over( it was single lane)It was probably a new  GT they were in,
"How fast do you think you were going?"
" 'bout a hundred?"
"nup, see that car coming?.....I passed him to catch up with you , he's doing a hundred"

As my brother says the car in question was off in the distance, they were stationary on the side of the road and he reckons when they passed that car IT looked almost stationary......
"you were doing 145 , take it easy"

Of course as soon as he got back in he just mashed it again.

Around this time on the same piece of road my mum, driving a Fairlane,had a blowout front right, broadsided and then spun at about 70 ending up on the wrong side of the road fortunately avoiding anything coming from the other direction ,me in the front , no seatbelts from memory..........i'm glad no-one was coming the other way at 145. :wink:

The Jag looks great, I mean it. :-D
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2008, 08:27:47 AM »
Thanks! [Lets see, is the steering on the wrong side?]
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Lynchy

« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2008, 06:06:57 PM »
Doug

Love the XJ6!! There's one in the shed opposite the XJS with it's engine out at the moment, hmmmmmm! Steering looks ok but you need more gauges!! The XJS is set up so you can put the wheel on either side, there are steering wheel holes on either side you just need the right rack. I think the steering should be on the side that you are used to getting out of. If you wipe out and bang your head you want to get out of the "natural" side of the car and not into the passenger seat area.

The XJS should have the Ford Cleveland fitted by now. I'll make a phone call and find out.

Dr G - How did the cop catch your brother? There was nothing in Oz at that time that could catch up to a GT or HO going full noise. Except for maybe a HO with the rev limiter disconnected!!! Which gets me to how I split a bore in my GT, Clevelands don't like 7000rpm unless the bores are standard or it's a NASCAR block......$$

Lynchy

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2008, 06:23:03 PM »
I would assume the cop was in some sort of "pursuit" Falcon, I'll re-check the details and report back....

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2008, 09:27:52 PM »
Lynchy, Funny you should mention the guages. When we were ready to go to the Salt last year, an old Salt Veteran friend of ours looked at the car and said "Why all the guages? You'll never have time to look at them anyway." Somewhere in the middle of my first pass, I realized what he was talking about. Keeping the "floating mountains" in front of you comes first. If they get more than about 15 degrees off of center you are no longer a driver. You are now a passenger. By the second pass, we installed a video camera and watched the guages in the pits. Put some pics of the XJS on when you get it together.
                   [America]

Offline Lynchy

« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2008, 06:18:27 AM »
Doug

I like the look of the XJ6 racer, it looks so out of place! Great looking car!

We had the same idea withe the gauges - video them and check back later. Set the tach up so it can be seen without looking around too much and either a trouble light for the rest or camera on the gauges, a full Motec setup would be nice but a bit pricey.

Dr G - maybe the cop was in a Charger???? :-D