Author Topic: Australian Jaguar Build  (Read 53526 times)

Offline Lynchy

Australian Jaguar Build
« on: November 17, 2006, 12:25:29 AM »
I've been posting updates on the DLRA site for the build up of my mates Jaguar XJS. We are preparing it in the hope of running it at Lake Gairdner in March 2007. I've attached a few pictures...

A short spec list is:

1983 Jaguar XJS chopped 3 inches and lowered about 6 or so more. Class will be C/BMS.
Motor is a 351 Cleveland. NASCAR block, alloy high port heads with a 671 blower and electronic injection (12 injectors under a birdcatcher). The motor had been dynoed at 750 HP prior to the injection and electronic ignition and at 10% underdrive on 110 octane. Final spec will see 10% overdrive.
Gearbox is a Doug Nash 5 speed with 1:1 output in 5th.
Rear end is a Ford 9". 2.5 ratio with a spool and 35 spline floating axles held in place by a 4 link.
The tyres are 28" tall at the rear and 23" tall at the front.
The car will be painted a Ford colour "Toxic" which looks a bit like etch primer in colour (green/yellow).

We are hoping for 200 but will be happy with the car being reliable and not breaking anything - especially the driver. The joy will be in running WOT and hearing the motor scream. I don't think there is an Australian record in this class so we are looking good to taking this out.

Offline Xea

Australian Jaguar Build
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 10:47:03 AM »
Kewl!!!
Faster, till the thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of death.

Offline bbb

• Aerodynamically Challenged
  • JorNic Motorsports
    • JorNic Motorsports, Charlottesville, Va.
Australian Jaguar Build
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 03:32:21 PM »
wow. best of luck.
keep updating as you can.
always had a soft spot for XJ's.

terry russell

Australian Jaguar Build
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 05:22:30 PM »
DAMN !!!! Keep posting
good luck

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Australian Jaguar Build
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 05:34:01 PM »
You will have no problem running 200 with that car and motor.  Just run plenty "fat" at first and if you don't have them I would recommend reading air/fuel and EGT with the roots blower.  Data log them, we use the LM-1/Aux box combination as it is not real expensive.  Also try and have an EGT that you can read real time on the run.  Sneak up on things.  I think you are smart starting with the 10% underdriven and you will run over 200 like that easy.

6500 should be about 220 with the car, we are geared the same with the same size tires.  I'm guessing you can run 240 with that car, let me know if I was close.

You have probably thought of all of this, but I thought I would throw it out there.  

have fun and c ya,

Sum

Offline Lynchy

Australian Jaguar Build
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 05:20:02 AM »
Thanks Guys!

Sum - the computer at the moment is a Haltech but a very old one. The distributorless ignition is an electromotive, these will be ditched in favour of a computer to drive the fuel and ignition, most likely the latest Haltech - we'll see. BTW - I spent most of Friday at work checking out your build pages.... ;-)

I didn't intro the owner of the car - Big Gaz - he's the guy standing next to the car, I'm just one of his mates and salt buddy. We are both Ford guys as you can tell by the guts of the Jag + the height of the car is 40 inches tall (GT40).

So far the majority of the work in the car is in the substantial roll cage and rear clip. The motor and gearbox is out of one of BG's other cars and the rear end will be dedicated to this car. Gary has just finished up the fuel tank mounting and battery box and should have a lot more done this weekend. He has started on the sheet metal to cover the rear clip and seal off the boot (trunk). The rear clip also has the parachute mount/pushbar/jacking point built into it. The car needed jacking points built in as it only has about 1 inch of ground clearance - any feedback as to whether this is too low? It looks great this way!

The next major job is cutting out the tailshaft tunnel as it needs to be made taller due to the placement of engine/trans and rear clip. I may get some more pictures this week following work over the weekend.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Australian Jaguar Build
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 09:13:59 AM »
Just some more food for thought that you might already had considered.

Look at MegaSquirt for the computer if you haven't already.  Since you have had the Haltech in there it would be very easy to convert over.

You say the top has been chopped 3 inches.  Have you taken the maximum benifit of the rules for the "lay back" of 7 inches at a 5 inch height.  I believe those are the numbers, but I'm not sure you guys are completly following SCTA rules.  It also looks like it could still be chopped more and still be within the rules, but maybe you are out of head room.

On the subject of head room do you have enough with the driver in a suit and with the right helmet on???  I can't tell for sure from the picture, are you using a roof exit??

Ok here are some major mods.  Have you considered cutting the front right behind the front wheelwell and extending the front say maybe 12-14 inches.  You would just have to bend a filler piece to to do that.

Is the motor as low as possible to get that blower and intake tract as low as it can be.  You might want to look at the way John made the air inlet for the blower on Hooley's Stude (it is in the 2005 construction pages on my site).  This has worked very well for us and I think it helps with the streamlining ahead of the windshield and would be legal for you as you are allowed streamlining ahead of and including the cowl.  Then negative is that it moves the "center of pressure" forward, that is the reason I suggested stretching the car some in the front as that would help to offset that by moving the "center of gravity" forward as you could maybe move the motor ahead a little and would give you room for weight ahead of the motor.

Also look at the construction of Hooley's car for I think 2006 for some ideas on jacking points.

You probably already have the 6-71 (its in the picture), but an 8-71 would help to keep the temps down on the air, but better still would be turbos, but you probably are well aware of that.  We are looking at water injection for next year as a "crutch" since we will have to turn the boost up from 8 lbs. to about 14 if we hope to go any faster and like you from 10% underdriven to 10% overdriven (this worries me).

If the final ride height was 1 inch and you had plenty of adjustability in the car's ride height as you add weight you might be fine.  Me I would probably like to see 1 1/2 to 2 with the front air dam on the ground.

Will the car get a belly pan??  How heavy do you plan to be and what is the weight distribution.  I would look for #3500 to start with and 50-52% on the front.

Also I would put the biggest (longest - Flat) spoiler the rules allow so you could add the largest spill plates to it that the rules allow.  I can't see the back of the car well in the picture, but it looks like a 10 inch long flat spoiler right off the back deck is possible and that would allow the top spill plate (8 inches high) to start at the rear axle and go to 2 inches behind the spoiler.  That would really help move the center of pressure rearwards and help to offset the blower situation up front.

Well good luck with the car and I look forward to seeing it when I finally get over there,

Sum

Offline Lynchy

Australian Jaguar Build
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 08:25:35 PM »
Sum

OK - the top has had 3 inches out of it but with no layback. This was mainly to preserve the look of the car. It looks like an XJS should have looked. The initial reason for the chop was that Gary wanted a chopped car at some stage in his life and this was the perfect starting point. There is still adequate headroom for a helmet and a 6 foot plus driver.

The chances of cutting the front off to extend the car are slim as we would rather get the car to the salt. I think Gary will be happy just driving the car and we are not really chasing a number at the moment.

The motor is as low as it can get due to the front subframe which is quite large. We'd considered turbo's as there is quite a bit of room clear in front of the motor. The simple answer is that the motor existed before the car and the car is being around the motor.

The Jag has a smooth floor and so is already half way there to having a bellypan. A pan will be added under the rear clip and fuel tank and something will get done up front if time allows. The exhaust will exit in front of the front doors but behind the front wheel due to space restrictions under the car.

As for spoilers, we are checking out what is available for racing Jags but suspect that the front will just get an aluminium spoiler. I don't think the rules allow for a rear spill plate for this class. It is allowed to have a rear wing if it came fitted with one.

We are also checking at the moment if BMS allows a fuel class as well as gas as we may run Methanol. The SCTA rules allow this but the DLRA rules state Gas only....

I spoke with Gaz this morning and he has refitted the cage and rear clip and tacked all into position ready for final welding. He's bumped some of the dings out of the body while the cage was out to allow room to move. Rear disks are getting sorted out this week and the diff will have work commenced on it this weekend.

The blower will get some kind of scoop around it so I'll look at Hooley's website, the centre of pressure V centre of gravity equation is one that we have thought about and read up about but have no answer as yet. Ballast will be able to added to the car and will go forward of the rear axle but I don't think we can go the rear wing with spill plates route.

Anyway - thanks for the interest, I'll post more as it happens and will continue to check on your car as well. I haven't seen an update from Dr Goggles and the Reverend Hedgash for a while, I've also been following their build and antics for a while. I believe the Rev is in Dubai at the moment and the Dr is mucking about with motorbikes.

Here's a rear shot:

Offline Lynchy

Australian Jaguar Build
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2006, 08:26:06 PM »
Sum

OK - the top has had 3 inches out of it but with no layback. This was mainly to preserve the look of the car. It looks like an XJS should have looked. The initial reason for the chop was that Gary wanted a chopped car at some stage in his life and this was the perfect starting point. There is still adequate headroom for a helmet and a 6 foot plus driver.

The chances of cutting the front off to extend the car are slim as we would rather get the car to the salt. I think Gary will be happy just driving the car and we are not really chasing a number at the moment.

The motor is as low as it can get due to the front subframe which is quite large. We'd considered turbo's as there is quite a bit of room clear in front of the motor. The simple answer is that the motor existed before the car and the car is being around the motor.

The Jag has a smooth floor and so is already half way there to having a bellypan. A pan will be added under the rear clip and fuel tank and something will get done up front if time allows. The exhaust will exit in front of the front doors but behind the front wheel due to space restrictions under the car.

As for spoilers, we are checking out what is available for racing Jags but suspect that the front will just get an aluminium spoiler. I don't think the rules allow for a rear spill plate for this class. It is allowed to have a rear wing if it came fitted with one.

We are also checking at the moment if BMS allows a fuel class as well as gas as we may run Methanol. The SCTA rules allow this but the DLRA rules state Gas only....

I spoke with Gaz this morning and he has refitted the cage and rear clip and tacked all into position ready for final welding. He's bumped some of the dings out of the body while the cage was out to allow room to move. Rear disks are getting sorted out this week and the diff will have work commenced on it this weekend.

The blower will get some kind of scoop around it so I'll look at Hooley's website, the centre of pressure V centre of gravity equation is one that we have thought about and read up about but have no answer as yet. Ballast will be able to added to the car and will go forward of the rear axle but I don't think we can go the rear wing with spill plates route.

Anyway - thanks for the interest, I'll post more as it happens and will continue to check on your car as well. I haven't seen an update from Dr Goggles and the Reverend Hedgash for a while, I've also been following their build and antics for a while. I believe the Rev is in Dubai at the moment and the Dr is mucking about with motorbikes.

Here's a rear shot:

Offline Lynchy

News from Big Gaz
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006, 01:32:28 AM »
On the seventh day all was complete, and behold, it was good.

Friday night a couple of hours.

Saturday 7.00am thru to 2.30am Sunday morning.

Sunday 2.30pm to 10.30pm.

Yes a big week end.

The cage front legs, hoop and rear legs are all welded together.

Floor plates are in. This took a fair bit of time to box the end of the angle which is 90 degrees but the sill is rounded which left a gaping hole. I also had to round off the plates so they had a radius on all the corners to stop them punching through the floor in an accident.

The clip is welded in with the front cross member. The rear legs are welded to the clip and the front legs are welded to the front floor plates.

I jacked it up last night for the first time in months and got some track widths. I should be able to sit the car low with my salt tyres/wheels or lift it up a few inches to fit my 16 x 10 or 17 x 10 Simmons wheels. Still a bit of guess work, but should be close.

I got Big Mike to deliver all the diff components, brakes, brackets etc down to Craft Diffs at lunch time today. They will ring me tomorrow with the axle requiremets so I can order them from Romac tomorrow, along with the wheel studs (which are $25 each, yes that is $25 x 10 = $250).

I am just about sick of welding and grinding but I still have a bit more of the same to go. I will concentrate on the tunnel and rear floor next.

The car is solid as a rock and should become more so once I weld up the floor.

No pics yet as it really doesn?t look different than it did a couple of months ago. The wheel tubs will be interesting.

Got a big week end planned again so will let you know.

Offline Lynchy

Re: Australian Jaguar Build
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2007, 01:20:35 AM »
It's been a looooong time between posts for this build. A lot has been happening even though the car will NOT be ready in time for Speed Week down on Lake Gairdner this year.

The diff has been mostly completed and returned to be trial fit to work out coil over locations. This has also been completed and the diff sent back for final welding, straightening and additional bracing that could not be put in place till the coil overs were worked out. Specs for the diff alone make a long list:

2.5 gears (couldn't find any 9" gears that were lower - let me know of any), full spool, 35 spline axles with floater kit, pinion support, 4 link and bracing absolutely everywhere.

The trans tunnel has been cut out as it would have got in the way of the tailshaft and a new one fabricated. It has been made up of square tube joined onto the rear clip and makes the car stronger again. It has been sheeted in stainless and is quite substantial (biiiig). It will also be used for mounting of switchgear, chute release, extinguisher releases and anything else necessary to be within reach.

Big Gaz has also managed to get his hands on an SCBA (Self Contained Breathing Apparatus) setup. They had one lying around at work and his boss said he could have it (lucky boy - they are not cheap $$$). These can provide 30 minutes of air when triggered and would be plumbed into the drivers helmet. He is looking to integrate it to the extinguisher button so that it goes on when they go off. Rod Hadfield had rather nasty problems breathing when he set off his extinguishers last year so this should overcome this problem if the worst happens.

Big Gaz and I are still heading down to the lake this year with a million more questions to be answered. One question I would like to raise here is around bellypans. The Jag will be fitted with a pan but we are wondering how best to do this given underbody airflows. We can put a flat pan completely under the car but were wondering about air getting trapped in areas such as the rear clip. Should we seal the engine bay to stop this but then how do we cool the motor? Should we shroud the radiator and vent it under the car? How have other people done this in the past?

Thanks
Lynchy

Offline Lynchy

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 02:55:09 AM »
Looks like the links to my photo's have disappeared....

Work is still going on with the Jag with the majority of it occurring on the rear end. The car is getting very close to sitting on its wheels - can't wait to see that.

I'm chasing around for info on modifying Jaguar V12's. The car will still debut with the blown injected Cleveland but down the track it will get it's original motor back but with some modification. It will likely be twin turbo. Big Gaz went shopping and bought another 2 XJ-S's as engine donors, so now we have 3 V12 blocks and 2 sets of "Jaguar flat heads" to play with. Here's a shot of the "new cars". As you can see from the second shot, they are good parts cars.......

Offline Lynchy

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2007, 02:57:47 AM »
Here's a recent side on shot as well.

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2007, 01:38:23 PM »
Looks like you are coming along nicely. We try to work all year on the car, a week in Jan. a week in May, one in July then the week before Bonneville. Gives us time to get new stuff ordered and we all know when they say you will have it next week, sometimes it turns into 3 to 4 weeks or longer. Good luck with your car.
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Lynchy

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2007, 09:54:09 PM »
A little more has happened. Gary has decided to brace the central hoop of the roll cage with  bars crossing in the middle, he's got this mostly done and has also added in the side intrusion bars. These run from just under the lower edge of the side window down to the bottom of the front leg of the cage. He is also thinking of adding another brace from where the side intrusion bar joins the central hoop up to the bar above the side window. The interior already looks like an explosion in a spaghetti factory but it will be strong.

I've been talking to a local Jag guy who is helping us out with engine building contacts. He is trying to get hold of a guy who adapts Jag V12's for aero use. We want to talk to him as he has a great deal of experience with blown/turbo V12's + bored/stroked V12's. If anyone wants to add any advice regarding the best way to go with modification to Jag V12's - feel free.

Gary has also managed to find that the rear bumper off a VT Commodore?? works extremely well as a front air dam. You guys might be more familiar with this as a Pontiac GTO rear bar (the aussie Commodore 2 door adapted by Pontiac as their new GTO). Useful things can be found on Commodores!

The drivers seat goes in next.........