Author Topic: first trip to El Mo advice  (Read 8564 times)

Offline saltracer1

first trip to El Mo advice
« on: November 04, 2018, 01:47:18 PM »
Ok, so my lovely wife and I are flying out to LA Friday, staying in Victorville Friday night and hope to watch the racing Saturday. I have a few questions, what's the best route from LAX to Victorville Friday 5pm and what do we have to do to get on the lake bed? Phil

Offline Elmo Rodge

Re: first trip to El Mo advice
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 02:22:16 PM »
Phil, do yourself a favor and have a leisurely dinner near LAX. 5 o'clock is no time to attempt a drive from there to Victorville. I'll let someone else jump in on a route.  :cheers:
Wayno

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 03:37:58 PM »
Charter a helicopter.

Seriously, have leisurely dinner as close to the rent-a-car place or airport as you can.  No sense leaving then.  Fight your way after dinner north to the East 210 Freeway, east to I-15 North to Victorville.  Two-three hours.

Get to El Mirage by 7:30-8:00 on Saturday.  Starting positions are determined by the year's results.  The most successful vehicles go out first.  Don't worry, if you're late you won't miss us.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 05:27:30 PM »
105 to the 605 to the 10 or 210 to the 15. It's gonna be crowded on a Friday evening.  :roll:
Wayno

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 05:37:42 PM »
It can be cold on the lake bed this time of year as well.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline mtiberio

• ElMo MPG1K 141, LTA MPF1K 137, ECTA MPG1K 118
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 08:54:28 PM »
Best route is east of the San Gabriels. As you go north on 15 through Cajon Pass, look to the NW, up Lone Pine Canton toward Wrightwood, and know you are looking at the San Andreas Fault, as you pass from the Pacific plate onto the North American plate. If you have the time drive through Phelan, not that there is much to Phelan, but as you come over the rim from the pass on 138 onto Sheep Creek Rd, and the expanse of Antelope Valley opens up, you will see El Mirage Dry Lake off to the north. From this perspective it will appear as a light thin strip in front of the far mountain range.

Yes, I am a Geologist.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 11:36:32 AM »
"Yes, I am a Geologist."

But not a cartographer.  He's staying in Victorville Friday night after leaving L.A.  El Mirage Road off Hwy. 395 is his best bet from Victorville.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 11:39:13 AM by Stan Back »
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 12:02:03 PM »
Except for the fact that El Mirage Road doesn't go through to 395.  :-P
Wayno

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 01:23:49 PM »
Well there is that jog I guess.

I also understand they're gonna (re)pave it someday.

Offline mtiberio

• ElMo MPG1K 141, LTA MPF1K 137, ECTA MPG1K 118
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2018, 02:19:30 PM »
"Yes, I am a Geologist."

But not a cartographer.  He's staying in Victorville Friday night after leaving L.A.  El Mirage Road off Hwy. 395 is his best bet from Victorville.

He has to drive to Victorville, I'm suggesting he side trip then, not on the trip from V"ville to ElMo. However, given the upscale view of scenic Adelanto that entails, it might just be better to go through Phelan then as well. 8^))

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2018, 02:35:13 PM »
Any way you can switch your flight to Ontario?  It will lower your stress level considerably. 

I'd rather have a barium enema than fly into LAX.

On a Friday night, you might actually make better time out of Las Vegas, and the flight and car rental will be cheaper . . .

If you aren't locked into a flight, you might want to check out options.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline 1leg

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2018, 02:45:21 PM »

Link to the website.
https://www.blm.gov/visit/el-mirage-ohv-area

I disagree about getting dinner by LAX. I would get the heck out of there as fast as you can! Get some fast food along the way.

Next time Fly into Ontario International Airport. alot closer!
Jerry
SDRC Member since 2013

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
Psalm 27:17

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2018, 03:45:18 PM »
I second and third the Ontario airport idea. Each year we travel west always using Ontario never go to LAX.  Good luck in all that traffic especially on Friday.
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2018, 05:47:00 PM »
If he takes 138 off the 15, there'a a danger that he accidentally takes the Lone Pine Canyon Rd. and gets lost on the way in and out of Wrightwood.  If so, look for the open patio bar "downtown" and have a few and ask directions.

Offline saltracer1

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2018, 07:14:22 AM »
too late to switch, we are spending a week in the area and thought we would spend a couple of days in LA it self. We've decided to do Saturday at El Mirage and then a few days in the Palm Springs area. Maybe just the last couple of days in LA. Phil