Author Topic: GMC 302 build parts sourcing  (Read 1761 times)

Offline Hans Blom

GMC 302 build parts sourcing
« on: October 30, 2018, 05:05:30 AM »
Good day! I'm needing a set of rods and pistons for an upcoming build. Can anybody recommend where to source rods for the GMC...unless someone has a set laying around collecting dust...;) I used to have a list of manufacturers that could supply them but can't seem to locate it...I guess pistons can be sourced from the usual suspects, but maybe some new kids on the block to source from a decade ago as well...

Thanks, Hans

Offline RichFox

Re: GMC 302 build parts sourcing
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 09:51:22 AM »
I bought my steel rods +5/8 long and using Pontiac bearings, from Crower. Wanted the wrist pin closer to the rings. Looked at aluminum rods but didn't like the clearance issues with the cam. I used Arias pistons. I also ran stock rods without failure.

Offline Hans Blom

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 10:07:31 AM »
Hey Rich! yeah, the pin are quite low on the piston even if a long rod. How much HP and rpm have you turned the stock rods? I was actually thinking it could be worth a try to use the stock rods and box them by brazing a thin plate of chromoly sheet on each side of the I-beam. And yes, not much room for aluminum rods in there once teh cam lobes start to get big.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 11:12:41 AM »
Don't know HP. Never turned it above 6000. Fastest it ever went was 178? I think. In 1980 in my Vega. On gas with 17 pounds of turbo boost. It did go 202 in what is now known as the Flashpoint Streamliner a little later. Blew the head gasket.