Author Topic: ElMo 10/21/18 what happened to 3rd round?  (Read 3728 times)

Offline mtiberio

• ElMo MPG1K 141, LTA MPF1K 137, ECTA MPG1K 118
ElMo 10/21/18 what happened to 3rd round?
« on: October 21, 2018, 11:04:19 PM »
They had last call for 2nd round. Then people were running the 3rd round. I got concerned because they were no longer calling groups of 25 to pre-stage. So I drive there. I’m blocked from getting in line and was told, “no 3rd round today”. Which of course was wrong, the announcers on the radio were mentioning over and over what folks had done in their previous 2 rounds today. My buddy with a lower line up number was making his 3rd run. Clearly there was a third round. WTF. Be nice to get a credible explanation.

Offline NathanStewart

Re: ElMo 10/21/18 what happened to 3rd round?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 12:04:04 PM »
My guess is that they had a cut off time and if you weren't already in line by that time then you weren't going to run.  Maybe head to pre-stage to be early for 3rd round when they start calling last call for 2nd round.  By time they hit 3rd round (at a small meet like we just had), it's pretty much first come, first serve and the groupings kinda go away.  At a two day race where there might be 4-6 rounds, they keep running as groups. 

Again, I wasn't there for 3rd round so I'm just guessing but you may as well start heading to pre-stage if you suspect that there's going to be a 3rd round and it's getting late in the day.  Also, it gets darker sooner in October so they do sometimes cut things off earlier so they're not out there in the dark picking things up. 
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline mtiberio

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 01:02:30 PM »
My guess is that they had a cut off time and if you weren't already in line by that time then you weren't going to run.  Maybe head to pre-stage to be early for 3rd round when they start calling last call for 2nd round.  By time they hit 3rd round (at a small meet like we just had), it's pretty much first come, first serve and the groupings kinda go away.  At a two day race where there might be 4-6 rounds, they keep running as groups. 

Again, I wasn't there for 3rd round so I'm just guessing but you may as well start heading to pre-stage if you suspect that there's going to be a 3rd round and it's getting late in the day.  Also, it gets darker sooner in October so they do sometimes cut things off earlier so they're not out there in the dark picking things up. 

I should have mentioned, this was at 1:20pm. I understand, volunteers, people want to get home, etc. In the future, I'll be another pest hovering around pre-stage.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 01:13:14 PM »
The A** in me would suggest you change your V to a C  :roll:  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline mtiberio

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 03:31:24 PM »
wish I knew what "V to a C" meant... 

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 04:09:17 PM »
I was wondering that too.  My best guess is that you're from VA instead of CA 'cause if you were from CA, you'd be more in the know with the "ways of El Mirage". 

Offline mtiberio

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 09:24:03 PM »
I was wondering that too.  My best guess is that you're from VA instead of CA 'cause if you were from CA, you'd be more in the know with the "ways of El Mirage".  

That's hilarious... I bought a ranch in Llano, and have been living in California for a month. I am not an ElMo newbie however, last year I raced all 6 ElMo events while living in Virginia. Earlier this year, I applied to Lockheed Martin in Palmdale. Got a decent offer, and here I am. I can see El Mirage from my porch.

M
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 09:47:04 AM by mtiberio »

Offline mtiberio

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 12:28:57 PM »
Saw Pat's race directors post of facebook. Seems we ran a complete 3 rounds. Note to self, do not take the first rejection at face value.

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2018, 12:32:53 PM »
Mike,

My recollection was that I went to the pre-stage area and was told no third round was mentioned, the volunteers were packing up there area, I went to talk with officials and was told no call was made at that time, I would guess the race director (Prez of SCTA) made a decision after hearing the status of the course nearing the end of the 2nd round and being racer friendly wanted to get racers another pass.

Third round was called and not many racers went to the line, I was ready and had my bike off to the side in-case a 3rd was called.

If you didn't listen to the FM/audio you may have missed it however people in my camp also heard it and went to the line to make a pass.

Hats off to the SCTA for putting on another great event, it was not great for one of my bikes however we had a great time as usual.

John

Offline mtiberio

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2018, 01:41:57 PM »
Mike,

My recollection was that I went to the pre-stage area and was told no third round was mentioned, the volunteers were packing up there area, I went to talk with officials and was told no call was made at that time, I would guess the race director (Prez of SCTA) made a decision after hearing the status of the course nearing the end of the 2nd round and being racer friendly wanted to get racers another pass.

Third round was called and not many racers went to the line, I was ready and had my bike off to the side in-case a 3rd was called.

If you didn't listen to the FM/audio you may have missed it however people in my camp also heard it and went to the line to make a pass.

Hats off to the SCTA for putting on another great event, it was not great for one of my bikes however we had a great time as usual.

John

Yes, ultimately it is on me. I was however sitting in the cab of my van with both the radio and CB on. No idea how I missed the call, but perhaps I did hear the call for the start, and since my start # was 150 for this weekend (first race of year, no points), I wasn't too concerned about the first 5 groups of "25"... Live and learn, won't happen again.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 02:52:07 PM by mtiberio »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2018, 02:17:26 PM »
When it comes to the later rounds you can and will be subject to the stampeding mob that can not hear or remember anything to do with sequence and or some times common courtesy
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2018, 04:32:19 PM »
Yep, that's true.  Seen many a times when I'm in my 25-50 run group and see guys with 75 or even 100+ already in line ahead of us.  When you confront those that shouldn't be there, you usually get some nasty replies and outright lies as to why they think it's okay to run ahead of everyone else.  Nothing like a line up order to bring out the worst in people.