Author Topic: Sub 200mph tires for the salt, fat vs skinny rear tires.  (Read 7313 times)

Offline maj

Re: Sub 200mph tires for the salt, fat vs skinny rear tires.
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2018, 02:29:19 PM »
BMST  the responsibility of tire choice is the riders
many of the current sportsbike tires will do 200 fairly safely ,
 The tires used up at Bolivia for the 300mph attempts chunked but maintained structural integrity
If you choose wrong
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrbgNNETjBY

Offline gschuld

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2018, 07:56:20 PM »
The rules suggest the tires must have a manufacturers speed rating up to the capability of your bike and/or up to the current record.  I understand the 200 mph plus guys simply can't comply with this as sport bike tire manufacturers aren't offering tires with such a high rating.  Y(186+mph) seems to be the highest speed rating and I haven't seen it actually used.  I see plenty of W (168+mph) rates tires though.

In the classic 1000cc MPS Fuel class, with strong power and good traction and fairings, pretty strong mph numbers are possible. 

George

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2018, 08:33:39 PM »
Pretty wild ride Greg... I guess you don't buy that tire anymore.... ugly vibration after the chunks started flying  :-o ...
hey I noticed you short shifted 5th...  :roll: good job keeping the paint on it
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline maj

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2018, 03:07:52 PM »
Same tire Al had and his Vids look the same ,
The one i do like the Bridgestone BT003 they dont make any more and ours are about out of years
thinking of changing to the Dunlop slicks that Ralph was using

shortshifting  yep noticed i do that if its wriggling with wheelspin , dont get enough runs at that speed to clean up bad habits

good paint was all about good luck, no skill required  :-D

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2018, 08:51:52 PM »
I guess I should go look at my bike, but you can probably answer.... is the BT003 a dot or racing purposes tire?  I noticed this year that they dropped the 10 year age out requirement for racing tires...

I think Ralph only changed one front in Bolivia.... several rears... but they all stayed structurally good... just chunked a little bit of rubber here and there.  They did a lot better after he stopped using warmers.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline maj

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2018, 09:23:57 PM »
"racing" type street tire, meets SCTA needs and for us been a great tire since 2012,

Ralphs 1 tire per pass used them up pretty quick, but there probably the best out there at the moment that have been "tested"

Yes it was funny how they lasted better without the warmers, when i had always thought our chunking was a result of cold tearing

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2018, 06:08:14 AM »
Greg you mention Ralph using Dunlop tyres, are thay the Sportmax Q4 series ?
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline maj

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2018, 04:00:22 PM »
N tec i think, KR series

Offline gschuld

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2018, 10:35:19 PM »
The mention of racing slicks bring up another question.  I’ve read that some suggest that a hard compound tire is preferable to a soft compound tire.  I believe the rational related to soft tires being more susceptible to excessive abrasion wear as a result of the slippage friction buildup on the salt.  Is that a universally held opinion?

So for W rated DOT tires, does this generally mean that harder compound tires (tires designed with high mileage in mind, usually dual compound) are preferable?

I’m talking over 150 but under 200mph in his case FWIW.

George

Offline racergeo

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2018, 11:28:19 PM »
      Not to sound like a cheap skate, but I went to an AMA race at Pacific Raceway in Kent Wa. and a couple of race teams GAVE me there take off front tires (and tried to give me the rears) for free. In the event that SCTA sees  fit to let me run them on my lakester I have a stash. Best thing, they have most of the rubber worn off. I bought 2 new Pirrelli Dragon Super Corsa Pro tires several years back at a AMA race from the Pirrelli Tire trailer. The engineers looked at a Goodyear front dragster tire and mockingly concluded that if they ran over 300mph then their steel belted radial constructed tire should be good for 400. I mounted the tires (60lbs) and put them on my brake lathe and ground the sidewall and crown off of most of there rubber. Had about 4 dust pans of rubber on the floor. Used one of those sprint car tire grinding discs. Be careful!!! Lee Kennedy let me run them to 275 no issues. I put them on my car with no grease in the bearings and gravity balanced them. Smooth as...
    If it was left up to me I wouldn't be be afraid to go 350 with them.  P.S.    they do look like the ones Slim described.

Offline maj

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2018, 03:22:34 PM »
George  , my take on that is the soft tires chunk easier, seen a front "wet" race tire chunk in a pass when the rider was countersteering a side wind
i dont think grip changes much out there much due to tire compound, more the salt surface and how wet or dusty it is

Geo and here i am trying the skinny front runners on the bike to try and get a  safe tire for over 250mph
Using a slow speed rotary sander polisher with 40 grit to make black dust and shape the tire

Offline racergeo

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2018, 02:44:02 PM »
   I bought the hardest compound they made. After several heat cycles the used ones I have feel hard as rock. Mine didn't have rubber to chunk off. That's the trick. Saw a famous 400 mph player paint latex rubber over the CORDS of his tires back in the day. Worked just fine.